Hacking best solution for snes games on a 3ds XL

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
In some cases SnemulDS indeed wipes the floor with the dstwo's emulator due to the speedhacks. To get most of the SNES on DS experience, I recommend using both SnemulDS and CATSFC.

nosenuggets

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont just want a mobile emulator platform. i want a 3dsxl for ocarina of time and im trying to figure out if i can play snes games on it as well. there are probably only a handfull i will play anyway, super metroid, link to the past, secret of mana, maybe a few others.

i looked at psp's and i cant really see any psp games i would really enjoy all that much.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Kart is what's known as a "special chip" game, and those are harder to emulate than games that don't use extra chips. Unfortunately most of the best-looking and innovative games are special chip games... Yoshi's island, Mario RPG, Star Fox, etc.

Emulation on the DS series is relatively bad. The DS is handheld hardware that's over eight years old. It doesn't matter than it's on a 3DS, flash carts only work in DS-mode and so only have access to the power of an original DS. Even with the added power of the DSTwo, emulation is rather lacking for anything at about the SNES/Genesis range and up (older systems like the NES run well though).

If you're looking for handheld emulation, don't aim for a DS. Even the PSP is much, much better at it.
I disagree I played a nes game from the ambassador program and it ran pretty well what you said is an over statement in my own opinion and the same goes for GBA from the Ambassador program.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I disagree I played a nes game from the ambassador program and it ran pretty well what you said is an over statement in my own opinion and the same goes for GBA from the Ambassador program.
The ambassador games run in 3DS-mode and thus have access to all the 3DS's extra power.

Flash carts, on the other hand, can only access DS-mode, and are limited to the power of the original DS.

Anyways, going to start on the video conversion and upload.

potato3334

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
super metroid is kinda buggy, and it doesn't fit on the DS screen lol, and alttp gba should be fine emulated on a scdstwo, idk about snes version

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
whats the ambassador program?
People who bought an original 3DS model at the original price, if they had registered it with Nintendo, were given some free NES/GBA emulated games on the 3DS to say "sorry for dropping the price after you already bought it".
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/3dsambassador.jsp
That has the game list, if you click the links to the left.

However it's limited to those games, and those, so far, haven't been released on the shop for other people to buy them.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
oh it doesn't fit? yikes....
The DS's resolution is less than the SNES's (and the NES's too, in fact), I talk about this in the video (which is still compressing now) and show that emulators on the DS take a few steps to get around that (but none are perfect). The PSP, on the other hand, has a resolution higher than the SNES and so doesn't need to cut stuff off or remove pixels to display the screen (and I show some of the scaling on the PSP too). The GBA version of A Link To The Past has changed the UI and game a bit so stuff fits on the GBA's screen, and GBA emulation on the DS doesn't need to scale (since it fits in the screen), but it runs into the same sort of issues as SNES versus the PSP, that it's visibly laggier (but some people don't care since it's not too bad).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Gah, finally it's done.

Like I said in the video, even though I have a lot of complaints about the DSTwo's emulation compared to the PSP's (downscaling mangles text and cropping chops stuff off, lower framerate, choppier response, etc.), the DSTwo's emulation is still fully playable (and the DSTwo's one of the best flash carts for the DS series anyways).

nosenuggets

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLY SHIT YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!

At first i though the limitations weren't that bad, but input lag is going to drive me up the fing wall. But after watching your video, now i really want a mobile emulator platform :D so i guess i will end up getting a PSP hahaha. Is there a particular version/model/year/firmware i should try to get, or stay away from? whats a good resource for getting started on PSP homebrews?

again, i can't thank you enough for taking the time to make that video.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats the ambassador program?
Ambassador Program was an event for people who paid the original price for the 3DS because of the price cut you had to own a 3DS at that time and log on to the e shop when it launched only the people that logged on were considered Ambassadors.Ambassadors were given 20 free games 10 of which were Nes and 10 were GBA games the GBA games that we were given were never to be released again in the future in the e shop the Nes games became paid downloads. The GBA and Nes games were the best they released except the Zelda games I hate all of them I wouldn't be suprised if they did the same with the WiiU.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's cool, it was the upload that took the most time, and that just involved me sitting around and waiting on it.

Is there a particular version/model/year/firmware i should try to get, or stay away from? whats a good resource for getting started on PSP homebrews?
Any model on any firmware can be hacked, but people generally prefer the 1000/2000/3000 models (the normal-shaped ones) to the Go (the pocket slide-form model).

The 1000 and the early 2000 models can have additional hacks done that can allow for brick recovery (though bricking is extremely rare with current hacks, I've never even done it myself while testing things) so those are sometimes preferred, but the 1000 only has half the RAM of the later models and this cuts it out from a little homebrew (a small amount, but still) so people usually want an early 2000 model for testing. However the early 2K models haven't been produced in ages, so people new to PSPs tend to pick up a cheap 2000 (not caring if it's older or newer) or a used 3000, since they can be hacked just fine as well.

The Go does have bluetooth ability and 16GB of internal storage built-in though, so if you don't mind the weird form-factor (usually better for smaller hands I've heard) and can pick up a cheap one it'd be fine.

The N1000 (The "Street") is a cheap piece of crap (mono sound, no wifi, cheap plastic), unfortunately, and while it's hackable as well, it rarely comes up because nobody wants it when you could get a used normal model for the same price and have wifi and such.

Anyways here's the starting point for PSP hacking.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/psp-hacking-modding-f-a-q-start-here.268289/

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I recall the PSP Go can only run a CFW, not install it. Meaning every time you reboot you have to run it again, and again, etc.

Unless I'm wrong I mean I haven't checked on the PSP scene in a long time. My own PSP 2k only has ME 6.37.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Here's a very simple flowchart:

PSP > DSTwo > DS

The problem with SNES emulation on the DS is relatively simple:

Images may be output at 256 or 512 pixels horizontal resolution and 224, 239, 448, or 478 pixels vertically. Vertical resolutions of 224 or 239 are usually output in progressive scan, while 448 and 478 resolutions are interlaced.

Wheras the DS has a 256x192 screen - either way, the outputted image has to be either scaled (severely) or cropped. Even if the DS had enough resources to emulate the SNES properly, which it doesn't, the experience simply wouldn't be accurate. The PSP is far closer to the target resolution (480 × 272), has a similar "grip" to the SNES controller and a sufficiently big screen - DS Mode on the 3DS does not take up the full screen in either mode, so despite screen size, the PSP still has the upper hand here.

All in all, a PSP is the better solution due to its available horsepower, the screen and its controls... but Rydian already mentioned that.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question out of my own curiosity, how do rom hacks run on the DSTWO? Games like Super Demo world and such, do they run just as well because they're not special chipped, just larger roms?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16