best place to get a Xeno GC chip?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Diosoth, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Diosoth
    OP

Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

Nov 25, 2008
    United States
    I'm in the market for a chip, I've been putting it off for years... and the Xeno GC looks to be my best bet since it's the one I can find most readily available and looks to be easy to install.. My cheapest option, if I want to wait for overseas delivery, is eurasia.nu at $17 shipped. Modchip Central is in the US but I'd be paying $29 shipped, though a return on a faulty DOA chip would be easier. if it were necessary. Before I order from either, is there a better place to get one?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Didn't various pieces of source code get released at one point and people then make OEM versions- you might be able to build your own with the results of a trip to a proper electronics website. Granted that might be troublesome if you have to build a programmer as well.

If you do want to buy one though it seems most of my other sources have dried up and though I have not dealt with modchipcentral in some time both sites are longstanding with good reputations.

3. dilav

dilav GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 22, 2006
    United States
    Eurasia has are a very rep-able site as well. I have installed numerous of these and have not receive a DOA yet, most problems are due to installation and laser issues/tweak.

Yes,
    http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=XenoGC_Clone
    There are plenty of 1:1 clones around for cheap, however many chip sites do not carry chips for old consoles.

4. Diosoth
    OP

Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

Nov 25, 2008
    United States
    I'll probably order from Eurasia then, it'll be my cheapest current option. Unfortunately, by the time I pay the money for a programmer and components, and put the time in, I may as well just buy the stock chip.

I went ahead and ordered gamebits and a packet of blank mini DVDs, now I just have to order the chip.

5. plc268

plc268 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2012
    United States
    raulpica likes this.
  6. Diosoth
    OP

Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

Nov 25, 2008
    United States
    I just registered over there to contact him, but I have to wait for them to activate my account proper before I can do anything.

7. Diosoth
    OP

Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

Nov 25, 2008
    United States
    I got the chip from Mamejay. I sold off 3 Gamecube Zelda games for $75 last week, and between the chip, DVds and gamebits I used 1/3 of that to mod my console. I think I'll also buy an SD card adapter as well since DX has them cheap.

8. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    If you really wanted to, you can buy 10 xeno gc chips for $45 shipped on aliexpress. What you would do with the other 9 I have no idea.

9. Diosoth
    OP

Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

Nov 25, 2008
    United States
    What I need now are controllers. The main stick on my Gamecube controller is starting to go bad and I need to track down an official Nintendo replacement for cheap. I'm aware of all those off brand clones and how they tend to be junk. I also need a "classic" controller option as I sold my Hori controller for a big pile of money. I need it for the GB Player and any emulators. I'm not sure if I should go for one of those PS2-GB adapters, or get one of those off-brand pads that looks like a Wii classic controller but with a GC connector.

10. Tom

Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    New jersey
    If you can solder, the joystick can be replaced

11. miguel503

miguel503 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2013
    United States
    assemblergames is a pretty good forum with a few dudes that sell these