• Mac OS X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ubuntu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Linux based OS

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked Windows, because Ubuntu does not have support for the 68x0 series graphics cards..
dry.gif
I have only used Macs in school, and they're terrible, although I am sure that they're a lot better in most normal situations.

1,400th post no edit.

Speculant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 7 is the best version of Windows, and it's what I use.

I would use Ubuntu if I played all my video games on consoles. Unfortunately, my computer is the most advanced game console that I have, so it's not really like I have an option on what OS I use.

To all the people saying that blah blah is better because of no viruses:

I have never gotten a virus on Windows XP, 7, or even 98 (back in the old days
tongue.gif
)). This is because I use a free version of AVG and Zonealarm Firewall, and I use common sense when downloading and running content. I download plenty of torrents and visit plenty of, uhm, "websites in the category that is notorious for giving your computer viruses".

tl;dr no viruses isn't a very good argument at all.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i think this proves my point.
Especially loled at this:
QUOTE said:
SECURITY
Mac OS X was hacked in 2006 less than 30 minutes, and within 2 minutes in a contest in 2008, and within 10 seconds in 2009. In 2008, Linux and Vista were not hacked until another day when restrictions were lowered. Vista was next, and then Linux. In 2009 Windows 7 fell shortly after the Mac but Linux was unscathed.
Macs are standardized with Cameras, if your Mac gets hacked, the hacker can turn on your camera with more ease.

HellShade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I voted for Linux Distros. These are very solid OSes. They are generally difficult to spam with malware and/or viruses (if your permissions are properly set) and are simple and minimalist enough to do what you need to do quickly and efficiently. They are my OS of choice for computer and internet related tasks.

However, I do not even run a Linux Distro on my computer atm (i used to dual boot on my old computer) because windows 7 brings the same functionality with the added bonus of solid support for all my games and, most importantly, DirectX.

For anyone who is a non-gamer, I hugely reccomend a linux distro. Specifically, Ubuntu is a good balance of being user-friendly and pretty, but at the same time simple and fast.

Addressing topics from this thread:
Generally, people are treating viruses as something that just is. However, remember that someone had to write the virus. Not only that, but they had to have a purpose. Sometimes the purpose of the virus is to infiltrate computers and gather data. Other times it's simply to destroy someone's computer because the creator is sadistic or wants to show that they can. Either way, viruses are aimed at an anonymous user, and the creator has a motive to distribute it.

Now look at it this way. If you wanted to steal (gather data) or destroy (disable a computer) using something that can reproduce itself infinitely, what would you target?

Obviously one would target the largest possible demographic. In this case, that demographic is windows users.

It is not a surprise that the majority of viruses in the world exist in windows. This is not windows' fault; it is simply the biggest target because of its large user base.

If one wrote a virus for linux (which is extremely difficult, but let's say one does). The expected number of infected computers is dramatically less than if the virus were written for windows.

So please do not address the issue of "viruses" being a disadvantage of windows. If linux or mac OS were the largest OS demographic, they would be the OSes that are notorious for being "easily infected with a virus."

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wizzerzak said:
Ringo619 said:
Windows 7 no doubt Microsoft did a great job unlike vista...
what's s wrong with vista, i mean, 7 isn't even that much better...
Word of mouth made Vista appear worse than it actually was. After they released a few service packs, it became pretty decent.

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
My choice is Windows, because it's the only one that I used. (I used one or two times ubuntu, but not to much to say anything about it
nyanya.gif
)

I used the 95 and 98 version back in the day when I was a kid and I remember how excited I was to have an awesome PC with 18 MB ram and 300MHZ CPU and 1 GB HDD
rofl.gif
=> Shortly, I liked these versions.
smile.gif

I used XP most of the time and I have to say that it's a good choice!
smile.gif

I used Vista once, but I hated it because it slowed my PC as hell!
angry.gif

Know I use 7 and it's amazing! -> Like it!

My rankings are:
1st place: Windows XP => Used it most of the time.
2nd place: Windows 7 => Used a couple of times and I liked it for gaming!
biggrin.gif

3rd place: Windows 95/98 => Best childhood memories with a Computer
tongue.gif

4th place: Windows Vista => Not that bad, but I don't like it!
nyanya.gif

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For Windows, my ranking would be

1. Windows 7
2. Windows XP

I put Windows XP on second because lack of official DX 10 support on XP.

For Linux,

Crunchbang Linux. Rolling release based on Debian testing.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My small experience with OSx and my disastrous experience with Linux compelled me to vote Windows

Also Win7 is simply amazing, only issue I have is that when its been running for a while and been inactive for several hours (10 orso) it becomes unable to start new programs, not even Task Manager will start

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
My personal best version of windows is Windows Vista, its a lot more better than Windows 7 can ever be.
bow.gif
to the ALMIGHTY Windows Vista
bow.gif

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
My personal best version of windows is Windows Vista, its a lot more better than Windows 7 can ever be.
bow.gif
bow.gif
that must be the best sarcastic comment ever

(please don't tell me your serious??)

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Dter ic said:
Canonbeat234 said:
bow.gif
bow.gif
that must be the best sarcastic comment ever

(please don't tell me your serious??)
Vista is more of a social outcast than a technical one.

I'm not sure how someone can prefer it over 7, but still.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey