• Total voters

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
How about using AndroidOS? Sure, it's only for smartphones and netbooks, but at least it'd make things interesting.
You could run android on your desktop PC if you wanted, but much like on netbooks there's not really any point.

As far as smartphones, it's basically a worse version of iOS. Now Windows Phone 7, there's some innovation.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vigilante said:
XP for great compatibility
Vista for nice gui but low compatiblity
Win 7 somehow a mix of XP and Vista

No.

XP can be made to look just like Vista graphically, Vista doesn't really have "low compatibility" and Windows 7 does not have better compatibility than Vista.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dter ic said:
wtf.gif

Mac is not 100% virus-proof, it's just that there are less likly because there arn't that many people who use mac's and so there is no point in making a virus: this doesn't mean there won't be either.

also, another point, macs cant be that good (or they're just massively overpriced) as, the reason they have 'less viruses' is because there are less mac users, therefore:
less mac users = less people buying them = not very popular because = crappier system

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
JonthanD said:
Having used nearly every OS on the planet... I can honestly say they all have strengths and weaknesses.

For me its less about the OS and more about the hardware and what you want to do with it. If you want to play new games your going to want lots of hardware and Windows. If you just want to browse the net and are only interested in email and facebook then almost any hardware will do and Linux is honestly probably the best choice.

Right tool for the job at hand.
How one could brush off "the OS" as an inconsequential choice brings skepticism to your (obviously false) claim to have "used nearly every OS on the planet." I'd venture to guess you're definitely not qualified to give advice on the subject.

Your too young to remember very many OS's being born in 1987 and all (I was in high school while you sat in diapers.), I was playing with Linux while you probably watched Barney on TV learning to count...

I never brushed off the OS as in inconsequential choice, you managed to extract that meaning out thin air. As for false claims again you seem to pull this from the thin air... As for qualified advice, no one asked for qualified advice they asked for an opinion "Best OS" thats sheer opinion by any measure.

To put my post in more simple terms for you. All I said is use the right OS for the right task.

Honestly is that too hard for you to understand?

Would you like me to write a list of all the OS's I have used?
Nearly everything from Dos 2.0 Windows 7 64 and nearly all the beta's in between.
Linux from a time when you could fit it on a 3.5 inch floppy and had to compile it yourself to DVD versions with distro's I promise you have never even heard of.
Apple everything from the IIe up too and including OSX and yes this includes the Lisa and the II Gs.
Comadore Vic 20 all the way to an Amiga 2000. Geos was very nice for its time on the C64
Texas Instruments I probably show a bit of weakness here as the only thing I have is a TI-994A and extended basic for any sort of OS if you can even count that as an OS.

The list goes on a lot farther but I am bored now, I am off to try out the new open source Icaros (bonus points for you if you even know what it is...) been siting on my desktop for a few days now waiting on me.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JonthanD said:
Urza said:
JonthanD said:
Having used nearly every OS on the planet... I can honestly say they all have strengths and weaknesses.

For me its less about the OS and more about the hardware and what you want to do with it. If you want to play new games your going to want lots of hardware and Windows. If you just want to browse the net and are only interested in email and facebook then almost any hardware will do and Linux is honestly probably the best choice.

How one could brush off "the OS" as an inconsequential choice brings skepticism to your (obviously false) claim to have "used nearly every OS on the planet." I'd venture to guess you're definitely not qualified to give advice on the subject.

Your too young to remember very many OS's being born in 1987 and all (I was in high school while you sat in diapers.), I was playing with Linux while you probably watched Barney on TV learning to count...

I never brushed off the OS as in inconsequential choice, you managed to extract that meaning out thin air. As for false claims again you seem to pull this from the thin air... As for qualified advice, no one asked for qualified advice they asked for an opinion "Best OS" thats sheer opinion by any measure.

To put my post in more simple terms for you. All I said is use the right OS for the right task.

Nearly everything from Dos 2.0 Windows 7 64 and nearly all the beta's in between.
Linux from a time when you could fit it on a 3.5 inch floppy and had to compile it yourself to DVD versions with distro's I promise you have never even heard of.
Apple everything from the IIe up too and including OSX and yes this includes the Lisa and the II Gs.
Comadore Vic 20 all the way to an Amiga 2000. Geos was very nice for its time on the C64
Texas Instruments I probably show a bit of weakness here as the only thing I have is a TI-994A and extended basic for any sort of OS if you can even count that as an OS.

The list goes on a lot farther but I am bored now, I am off to try out the new open source Icaros (bonus points for you if you even know what it is...) been siting on my desktop for a few days now waiting on me.
Resorting to a strawman argument one sentence in? How quaint.

Experience with every OS on the planet doesn't make up for your lack of reading comprehension. If you're not going to address the points in the post you reply to, why bother replying at all? Just makes you look silly.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
JonthanD said:
Urza said:
JonthanD said:

Experience with every OS on the planet doesn't make up for your lack of reading comprehension. If you're not going to address the points in the post you reply to, why bother replying at all? Just makes you look silly.

Reading comprehension like this one "I'd venture to guess you're definitely not qualified to give advice on the subject." So your definitely guessing, is that like being sort of pregnant? Maybe my comprehension would improve if your writing skills where a little better.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JonthanD said:
Reading comprehension like this one "I'd venture to guess you're definitely not qualified to give advice on the subject." So your definitely guessing, is that like being sort of pregnant? Maybe my comprehension would improve if your writing skills where a little better.
So I write "guess you're definitely" and you read "definitely guessing"?

I'd venture to guess I was right about your issues with reading.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wizzerzak said:
Dter ic said:
wtf.gif

Mac is not 100% virus-proof, it's just that there are less likly because there arn't that many people who use mac's and so there is no point in making a virus: this doesn't mean there won't be either.

also, another point, macs cant be that good (or they're just massively overpriced) as, the reason they have 'less viruses' is because there are less mac users, therefore:
less mac users = less people buying them = not very popular because = crappier system
So it's crap because less people use it? That's so flawed it's not funny. First off, OSX is available for what, like 5 different computers including laptops. Windows is available for pretty much all the other thousands of types of computers out there including custom builds and it almost always comes pre-installed with the hardware. Does your logic really makes sense? Sure, there are way more Windows computers sold than Apple computers, but that's such a stupid comparison because you're comparing one OEM to every other OEM plus custom builders and everything in between. Look at the sales of Apple computers compared with any other OEM. I think it's very clear that Apple computers are very popular.

This is, however, not the reason there are less viruses on Macs. OSX is a UNIX based OS, which is arguably a more stable and secure core for and OS than Windows. If a destructive virus could be written for OSX, it would have been done already. There are so many people out there with this view that if it were true, there would be at least one person out there to prove everyone wrong and write a destructive virus for Macs, but I haven't seen one. (BTW, virus =/= malware)

So what are you really paying for when you get "overpriced" Macs. Well, a lot of the things you get are intangibles. Things like support, aesthetics, even the damn packaging of the computer and of course the OS. There are more, but you get my point. Are these things worth it? That's up to the user to decide. I for one do not think they are worth it for what I do, and that's why I choose Windows. It does everything I need so I see no need to switch my whole desktop to OSX, especially when I'm going to be switching out to Windows every time I want to game anyway.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
JonthanD said:
So I write "guess you're definitely" and you read "definitely guessing"?

I'd venture to guess I was right about your issues with reading.

I added some from your earlier post to show an example, lets look at this part "Resorting to a strawman argument one sentence in? How quaint."

I do not think it means what you think it means... but I would love to hear your "take" on it...

So at least in this part you managed to back pedal on your earlier statement of how I have no experience with OS's. "Experience with every OS on the planet doesn't make up for your lack of reading comprehension." but you still have trouble believing I can read and understand what your saying.

But just to clarify I didn't say every OS on the planet, I think you give me too much credit.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JonthanD said:
I added some from your earlier post to show an example, lets look at this part "Resorting to a strawman argument one sentence in? How quaint."

I do not think it means what you think it means... but I would love to hear your "take" on it...

So at least in this part you managed to back pedal on your earlier statement of how I have no experience with OS's. "Experience with every OS on the planet doesn't make up for your lack of reading comprehension." but you still have trouble believing I can read and understand what your saying.

But just to clarify I didn't say every OS on the planet, I think you give me too much credit.
Did I say strawman? I meant ad hominem (Freudian slip on my part). I suppose this proves you read at least some English
rolleyes.gif

This error aside, your post doesn't really have any content to it.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
JonthanD said:

Did I say strawman? I meant ad hominem (Freudian slip on my part). I suppose this proves you read at least some English
rolleyes.gif

This error aside, your post doesn't really have any content to it.

An ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), also known as argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.[1] The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy,[2] but it is not always fallacious. For in some instances questions of personal conduct, character, motives, etc., are legitimate and relevant to the issue.[3]

That would still make absolutely no sense in the context of the post in which you claim it would have been in....

I think people often pick on you for your reading comprehension skills and in an effort to make up for said lack of skills you attempt to make yourself seem more important by using inflated terms. I apologize for every post after my initial post, I see now that you didn't comprehend what I said at first and could not believe that some one could be more experienced in something you enjoy.

This would explain your use of large fancy words that seem to be just beyond your vocabularies reach, heh if this isn't true feel free to carry on like usual and I will just think some random tard on the net tried to call me out and got owned in the process.

Now this post should have plenty of content for you, a definition of something you tried to use, a completely bull shit psyc eval and some other random crap for shits and giggles.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JonthanD said:
An ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), also known as argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.[1] The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy,[2] but it is not always fallacious. For in some instances questions of personal conduct, character, motives, etc., are legitimate and relevant to the issue.[3]

That would still make absolutely no sense in the context of the post in which you claim it would have been in....
QUOTEYour too young to remember very many OS's being born in 1987 and all (I was in high school while you sat in diapers.), I was playing with Linux while you probably watched Barney on TV learning to count...
"Owned" indeed.

MaK11-12

Trophies
Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
ReactOS is the best windows. Fast, small, easy.
Archlinux is the best linux. Fast, small, easy.

Windows, Linux and Mac can ALL get viruses. But they happen to be much more common on Windows.

Macbooks and family are too overrated in my opinion. The PC has much more usability: Able to configure Computer to use whatever operating system you want (including macintosh (hackintosh)).

My top 5:
1. Debian (Command line install with only my selected packages installed - small, fast, easy)
2. Archlinux (Archboot is easier to use, small, fast more configuration capabilities)
3. ReactOS (Change your operating system, not your apps! Can run windows apps whilst being built from scratch and being open source)
4. Puppy Linux (Excellent for beginners new to linux, automatic configuration)
5. DOS (simply works on everything, and can play classics)

Out of the windows family, Windows XP gets my vote. Best compatibility and speed.

Also, theirs android x86 version for the computer! So you can run android apps 'n' stuff on the PC.

What's wrong with windows? Nothing, its just preference and if the user could be bothered to configure a whole linux operating system. I also blame inexperience.

All of this is written in my own opinion. So if you own 2 zillion mac book's don't hurt me!
rolleyes.gif

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
JonthanD said:

QUOTEYour too young to remember very many OS's being born in 1987 and all (I was in high school while you sat in diapers.), I was playing with Linux while you probably watched Barney on TV learning to count...
"Owned" indeed.

Maybe I was wrong you could still be in diapers... sorry about that.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
On my computer, both Vista and 7 ran much faster than XP did. Maybe because I was using x64 the entire time... in any case, these days XP definitely "feels" old, a bit like how 98 and 2000 "felt" old when I switched to XP.

On laptops, my old 299Mhz Toshiba laptop ran XP with lots of tweaking to get it to play h.264 videos. Not a perfect experience, but I didn't expect too much from the age of the hardware.

For smartphones, I've used Android and iOS, and prefer Android (2.2 at least, although prior to my new phone I was stuck on 1.6). Never used 7, so I can't comment on it (or the aforementioned "innovation" which smells of sarcasm).

As for forum arguments, I've got popcorn ready. Seeing two people argue when they each think they're right is among the more amusing events in the world for now. EDIT: Spelling.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Never used 7, so I can't comment on it (or the aforementioned "innovation" which smells of sarcasm).
No sarcasm present. It's really the first decent attempt in the handset sector not built on this "apps on a screen" concept that the iOS App Store has popularized to such success. The idea of having all your third-party (and otherwise) software tightly integrated into the core UI, creating the seamless experience present on WP7, Microsoft executed it remarkably well. There are shortfalls and missing functionally, but it's a v1 product so that's to be expected. Standardized hardware guidelines is also a very smart move, showing they're watching the mistakes of the Android team very closely.

As many other pundits have put it, Microsoft has finally brought a gun to Apple's gun fight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: