Best OS for an old netbook?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I regularly clean the inside of my laptop, it has exactly zero dust in it :P
Also, it's a not-so-new Win8 installation, so everything is settled down. I have disabled indexing, I have disabled Windows Update (+ I suspended TiWorker.exe from ProcessExplorer), I even disabled themes, and it's still 30-70% :P
Since Win8 has improved driver system, I can put Win8 on an external drive (which is how it's installed for me), and if I plop it in my Potato Toaster (this is how I call my underpowered main PC), the idle CPU usage is 0-1% :P
I'll try out Win10 later just for a performance comparsion, but I'll stick with good ol' Experience :P

Since others can use it perfectly fine with their similar specs, either you'll have a good experience or there's something else at play. Something more than just "it's crap!" :P

Reactions: Sono

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Since others can use it perfectly fine with their similar specs, either you'll have a good experience or there's something else at play. Something more than just "it's crap!" :P

Well, it turns out that the laptop's hardware is dying, so that's why there are hiccups, and extreme CPU usage!
Lubuntu runs perfectly fine for ~10-40minutes, and then everything freezes, and if it "unfreezes" after ~1-25mins of waiting, then it'll be slow, as hell, everything constantly freezes, terminal takes ~3mins to pop up, all this happens until I *completely* unpower the laptop (plugs plugged off, battery taken out, power switch held for ~10seconds). The (iirc) 133MHz SDRAM is dying, and the internal HDD has so many errors, that I get an error at the BOOT SCREEN, when I'm booting from my external HDD!
Well, it worked well in the ~12yrs while it lasted... Rekt in Pepperoni

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it turns out that the laptop's hardware is dying, so that's why there are hiccups, and extreme CPU usage!
Lubuntu runs perfectly fine for ~10-40minutes, and then everything freezes, and if it "unfreezes" after ~1-25mins of waiting, then it'll be slow, as hell, everything constantly freezes, terminal takes ~3mins to pop up, all this happens until I *completely* unpower the laptop (plugs plugged off, battery taken out, power switch held for ~10seconds). The (iirc) 133MHz SDRAM is dying, and the internal HDD has so many errors, that I get an error at the BOOT SCREEN, when I'm booting from my external HDD!
Well, it worked well in the ~12yrs while it lasted... Rekt in Pepperoni

Oh yikes, that sucks. Sorry to hear about the failure

Reactions: Sono

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol