Best option for playing Super Metroid on the DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Dio, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Dio
    OP

Dio WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Dec 29, 2007
    United States
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I have a DS phat, and I want to play Super Metroid on it. I have an Edge card and an original R4, as well as an Ezflash 3-in-1. I tried using SNEmulDS but it doesn't work perfectly. Are there any better emulators I can use? Also, I saw the front page article about the DSTwo's SNES emulator. Does it run Super Metroid better than the R4 can with SNEmulDS?

The reason why I ask is because I'm willing to buy a DSTwo, but only if it's significantly better. I'm shocked that it's been five years since the first SNES emulator came out and Super Metroid is still buggy on the DS. I hear random chirping, and I have to mess with the layers every time I want to view the map/my equipment. And when I scroll to a new area I see artifacts from the previous screen.

2. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I'm going to go try out Super Metroid on my SC DStwo, and report back on how it plays.

EDIT: SNESemulDS runs the intro fine, but zooms far to close to the screen, though you can adjust the scaling in the options. I've noticed a few slowdowns, but nothing major. When entering doors, the screen flickers just a bit. Major slowdown in the escape scene after Ridley.

The supercard's SNES plugin:
    Much better overall. The slowdowns are few and far between (they still occur). Ridley's attack sequence isn't as slowed. The save screen flickers a lot though.

3. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    chary, did you test supcards original snes emu or the updated community build recently posted to the front page?

-another world