Hacking Best Micro SD Card for EZ Flash IV

swam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Are there any preferred kind / brands of Micro SD card for use in an EZ Flash IV?

cheers

Sam

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
any brand would do..
it doesn't really matter.. having a fast card or slow card doesn't have inpact on speed to copy the games to the NOR or PSRAM...

just use a genuine one.. brand preference is up to you, some people will say this brand or another, but its your preference its doesn't matter.

as long max size is 32gb (i have a 2gb one and its more than enough...)

the only benefit from a fast card is when you trying to copy several games from pc to the card, but they are small enough.. you would only save a few seconds..

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Cool, thanks for the reply. I'll make sure I pickup a genuine card.

keep in mind, there are brandless cards, or even counterfeit branded cards.. just get them from a good place, avoid ebay or some small shops..

i myself bought a 2gb trasncend card from a chinese store and it works wonderfully (i checked on the brand website for genuity, and i was surprised it was genuine)

swam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I may well have a 2gb card hanging around somewhere. If not, it looks like
Amazon have some smallish cards for a decent price.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I may well have a 2gb card hanging around somewhere. If not, it looks like
Amazon have some smallish cards for a decent price.

do you plan to put lots of games?
i checked some torrents, the max gba roms collection got ~12 GB, and probably it got some duplications (like diferent region, or several in 1 games)
they are almost 3000 roms..
i myself have 20-30 games at max, i could fit all the games i played fine on a 512mg card i had before (i just changed to the 2gb because my other sd card stopped working)
there are just a few 32MB roms..

personally the 32gb is overkill, but that way you can carry every single game and lots of rom hacks!

swam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That is a good point. I think a 16gb card would probably suffice for my needs as I'm
mainly catching up on games I missed out on in the past. But of course there could
well be many more I fancy giving a go.

I just refurbed an AGS 101 so they sure do look fine on that backlit screen.

I'd gladly buy most of them if they didn't go for stupid money on EBAY.

Reactions: ZakDendy and migles

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
For GBA, really a 4-8gb card will suffice. Because of the miniscule size of games and the fact all MicroSDs will flash at the same speed because they are all fast, that's all you unless you are a complete collectamaniac or something like that.

Personally I have a 4gb card with about 150 GBA games and homebrew, and ~30 GB(C) roms thrown through Goomba Color's latest beta, and I still have half the card left over to spare.

Good tip though: Unless you are sure about the card you have ordered (White for MiniSD original, Black or Blue for MicroSD), BE SURE to get a spare 2gb or under non-HC SD card. Older firmwares don't recognize HC cards because 1.74 was before the microSD implementation, and White classic cards generally come with 1.72R or 1.74. USUALLY though Black/Blue come with 1.75+.

And on a side note... Please do skin any new carts you get. The defaults EZ Team use are... Erm... Yeah. Clearlooks exists for a reason.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And on a side note... Please do skin any new carts you get. The defaults EZ Team use are... Erm... Yeah. Clearlooks exists for a reason.

Though it is not going to win any art awards any time soon does it really matter when it is legible and you are looking at it and actively doing stuff for maybe 20 seconds?

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Though it is not going to win any art awards any time soon does it really matter when it is legible and you are looking at it and actively doing stuff for maybe 20 seconds?
It's all up to personal preference really. I just never liked how the latter default skin didn't mesh well with the fonts at times, but that's just me. Though Vader's, while out of place, is my preference.
Indeed, it's not that important anyhow. They suffice for what the job requires.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night