Homebrew Best homebrew for the Wii U?

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is the emulation quality and does it go upto dreamcast yet?
HA! Dreamcast is never going to happen. We don't even have the XMB menu driver on Wii U. The Libretro Team has completely stopped supporting the Wii U. Good luck on the Dreamcast emulation though considering all we have is software rendering. Nobody's touched the GX2 as far as emulators later than the CHIP-8 (Which didn't even need to use the GX2 chip...)

GRAnimated

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HA! Dreamcast is never going to happen. We don't even have the XMB menu driver on Wii U. The Libretro Team has completely stopped supporting the Wii U. Good luck on the Dreamcast emulation though considering all we have is software rendering. Nobody's touched the GX2 as far as emulators later than the CHIP-8 (Which didn't even need to use the GX2 chip...)
https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/...arch_160_updated_support_xmb_ui_and_material/ the xmb ui already was ported

Reactions: rw-r-r_0644

Wishi

Rareware Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Loadiine GX2 , Hid to Vpad , Wup Installer, Retroarch and a little more ... Wii u didn't have that much Homebrew support there's some Derek's tweets about releasing boot1 stuff but I think that's too late really , maybe this kind of Homebrew support could be avoided if Hykem released his stuff that Christmas 2015... Or Marionumber1 releasing kernel stuff and don't hold it back that much , I mean if I remember correctly he wanted to release this kernel when Ninty would drop Wii u support it was leaked a few months before that and look us now I can't imagine if he actually kept that stuff and release it till now, the Homebrew would be much worse xD

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I wonder who ported that. Sure as hell wasn't Libretro
Yes, yes it was.

EDIT for OP: My must have app is CFW Booter ATM; combined with Minute there's some interesting possibilites there for totally custom firmwares that aren't really firmwares any more

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome,

Wishi

Rareware Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh I just remembered about team Salt , it would be cool to see some of their work if I am not mistaken @shinyquagsire23 got some pretty interesting stuff on the Wii u going on ...

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Oh I just remembered about team Salt , it would be cool to see some of their work if I am not mistaken @shinyquagsire23 got some pretty interesting stuff on the Wii u going on ...
Inside sources time! There really wasn't anything interesting to you, dear end users. They have a CFW, similar in packaging to iosuhax stuff (not Mocha fans, team SALT). It's apparently better for redNAND, but otherwise it's similar to things like Mocha from an end-user perspective (yes, I'm ignoring stuff like kernel.IMG tomfoolery since it makes no real difference to users). AFAIK that wasn't what Shiny was up to anyway; he was working on a title installer (which has now been released and honestly looks damn sexy) and a few other homebrew things, mostly public from what I can tell. As for other members of the team, Daz was working on minute (again, now public and runnable on any console) and there were a few other things that have all since filtered out publicly. Nail in the coffin? I've heard directly from several members that SALT stopped doing anything upon the release of public iosuhax. No development; no polish; no "user-friendly experience". Make of it what you will (I'm obviously biased). The vast majority of SALT members have now joined ReSwitched; the Pegaswitch people. At least they seem to be finishing stuff this time.

Preemptive "scene isn't dead" because we've heard that before and it definitely turned out to be true all the other times.

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome,

Wishi

Rareware Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Inside sources time! There really wasn't anything interesting to you, dear end users. They have a CFW, similar in packaging to iosuhax stuff (not Mocha fans, team SALT). It's apparently better for redNAND, but otherwise it's similar to things like Mocha from an end-user perspective (yes, I'm ignoring stuff like kernel.IMG tomfoolery since it makes no real difference to users). AFAIK that wasn't what Shiny was up to anyway; he was working on a title installer (which has now been released and honestly looks damn sexy) and a few other homebrew things, mostly public from what I can tell. As for other members of the team, Daz was working on minute (again, now public and runnable on any console) and there were a few other things that have all since filtered out publicly. Nail in the coffin? I've heard directly from several members that SALT stopped doing anything upon the release of public iosuhax. No development; no polish; no "user-friendly experience". Make of it what you will (I'm obviously biased). The vast majority of SALT members have now joined ReSwitched; the Pegaswitch people. At least they seem to be finishing stuff this time.

Preemptive "scene isn't dead" because we've heard that before and it definitely turned out to be true all the other times.
I was doing some research of the Wii u scene on Twitter and Reddit and found some post from you xd , well it does feel good to be somewhat informed Thanks @QuarkTheAwesome

D

Deleted User

Yes, yes it was.

EDIT for OP: My must have app is CFW Booter ATM; combined with Minute there's some interesting possibilites there for totally custom firmwares that aren't really firmwares any more
So, you can boot your own made CFW which isn't just a stock FW in disguise? Neat.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How is the emulation quality and does it go upto dreamcast yet?
it goes up to snes and genesis, anything after that doesnt work or its just too slow like ps1 or n64, so yeah until 16 bit consoles only.

imo the only homebrews worthwhile for me are cbhc(instant sig patches on boot) and retroarch.

D

Deleted User

it goes up to snes and genesis, anything after that doesnt work or its just too slow like ps1 or n64, so yeah until 16 bit consoles only.

imo the only homebrews worthwhile for me are cbhc(instant sig patches on boot) and retroarch.
We are on the same boat i guess.
CBHC and RetroArch are the most interesting homebrew for me. (Ah, the days where people focused more on playing around with homebrew, creating fun apps and other useful stuff, still Wii U scene is still alive and kicking)

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Man, I've said it before and will again. The wii u could be the perfect home for reicast and finally a platform to the dc justice. Retro arch is a waste of time for me, shoddy quick and dirty ports with next to no optimisation just botched together to get it working on a platform is the Dev equivalent of those dumb "first111!!!!11!!zomg" posts you see in comment sections.

Now I'd personally put up 50 bucks, as I'm sure others would, to see a dedicated reicast port on the wii u as it would be quite awesome.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night