Rawr :3
Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
mechadylan said:
Are you referring to the game data or the game itself? I'm not certain that a 7200 rpm will have a noticeable difference over a 5400 rpm in a PS3. In fact, if you're referring to a jb'd PS3 (apologies in advance if you're not,) the 5400 rpm hdds are preferred as people with the faster ones have reported audio clipping during FMV with 7200 rpm hdds.
I would rather go with one with more cache than a faster rpm drive if that is the case :\

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've heard that there's no real difference in performance between the rpm speeds. Even using a SSD doesn't provide much improvement in performance.

There's not much point in playing one drive against another. Just get a cheap one and stick it in. The WD Scorpio series sometimes gets recommended but there's not really much difference. The only drives I'd steer clear from are SeaGate drives - many years of bad experience with them.

EDIT: All drives create heat, and all disk drives create noise. 7200rpm drives will create slightly more heat/noise than slower drives, with hardly any change in performance. Either way, it's inside the PS3 so you'll hardly notice.
EDIT2: If you think about it, it makes sense. Games rarely have fragmentation problems so read times will be fairly fast (it doesn't have to zig-zag around the drive to find the data). Having extra speed just helps improve random-read speeds slightly, which is not a problem the PS3 should have. Wii and 360 drives are pretty much the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/