Hardware Best Graphics Card for £50 or less

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now, Time to discuss getting a Graphics Card for me.

I'm on a Budget of anything under £50. Is it possible to get one which Runs Team Fortress 2, Half-life and Left 4 Dead which such a budget? I want them to run nicely but I don't require them to be lovely to look at. As long as I can play them smoothly.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Who about this one
smile.gif

Sapphire RADEON HD 3650

Review
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140617/show_product_reviews

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well it looks like it is between the HD4650 or the 9500GT. On aria.co.uk the 9500GT is cheaper which is a advantage and that beats your "beats the 9500gt for cheaper" reason Joe88.

Which one folks?

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
£45.94 inc. VAT for the ATI
£48.24 inc. VAT for the Nvidia

umm no? Maybe I am blind?

Also I would go with the ATI. Although I am a bigger fan of Nvidia.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Better 3rd party drivers. And higher clock speedz

I do not think there is a newegg for you guys huh? I just found this on there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...eForce%209500GT
£45.7999326 after a mail in rebate.

Also I think the Asus Nvidia > Inno3D Nvidia

Thought those games could all be ran on an 8 series well as for Left 4 Dead I am not really sure but HL2 could run easily on a 6 series.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
nVidia ALWAYS, 100% of the time beats ATI. This is a fact and fanboys can go home and cry.

The specific issue lies within the drivers. Namely, where nVidia drivers are bloated, ATI drivers experience random corruption and crashes.
ATI recently opensourced it's drivers to mend the issue but that will take a while (read: a few years) to kick in.

Now, the Asus 9400GT Silent is a good choice, as are the Asus non-silent, XFX, Gigabyte, EVGA and PNY models. Don't bother with the MSI, Elitegroup, Biostar, Galaxy or Sparkle models.

Overall, the 9400GT is a good new budget chip, though the performance is according to the price. The new 9800GT budget chip could come in under £100 though, and it's guaranteed to run all of the games you mentioned no hiccup whatsoever.

Now, 9500GT isn't bad either, but follow the brand advice above. Best brands for graphics cards are Asus Silent, XFX and EVGA.

Also, reference: I have the Asus 9600GT Silent, which runs TF2, L4D and HL2 at 1600x1050 at medium settings perfectly smoothly. The 9800GT is a fair bit better (but not available in silent), so it should run all you have at max settings at low resolutions.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Not a bad card. The performance's a bit underwhelming - but then again, it's XFX and they can be counted on to factory overclock it - but all I know it's a very solid card.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Taza said:
nVidia ALWAYS, 100% of the time beats ATI. This is a fact and fanboys can go home and cry.
Riiiiight,
rolleyes.gif

linky, great useful one too!

Now, as for my point in this one
smile.gif
. First of all you need to look around at the 9 series on Nvidia as for a large part they (were/)are rebranded 8 series (not the case with the 9400 / 9500 series). That's not bad per say though, and shouldn't bother you with the 9400/9500 as they are G96.

But, if you are shopping around that price range why not spend the 14 pounds more and get an 9600GT?
link

Anyway go check out the charts @ tomshardware and you should be set. As for the whole Nvidia versus Ati/AMD debacle, choose which you like. I personally dislike AMD because of their drivers and Nvidia has pretty good linux support. Granted though Nvidia doesn't have great drivers either.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Benchmarks are meaningless in the ATI/nVidia/Intel debate.

Intel has underpowered cards, ATI has shit drivers, nVidia has bloat. That makes Intel best for nongamers, nVidia best for gamers and people needing OpenGL, and ATI best for masochists.

But you're right in the 9600GT being miles better - as long as you're buying a good brand. Elitegroup being one of the brands not so good. They may be good, but they don't have a solid performance record to know. XFX has made a lot of good cards for a long time.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Prime said:
Right. Would it be worth waiting and trying to save up £15 more for the 9600GT? Is there a massive performance between the 9500GT and the 9600GT?

It depends. What resolution will you be playing at?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Xcalibur said:
Prime said:
Right. Would it be worth waiting and trying to save up £15 more for the 9600GT? Is there a massive performance between the 9500GT and the 9600GT?

I don't mind the resolution. What ever is best for playing on a 19" screen. My current PC is set to 1400 x 900 on a 19" inch screen which i find nice.

This graphics card will be for the new pc I'm building in college btw

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Prime said:
Xcalibur said:
Prime said:

I don't mind the resolution. What ever is best for playing on a 19" screen. My current PC is set to 1400 x 900 on a 19" inch screen which i find nice.

This graphics card will be for the new pc I'm building in college btw
Aka your best resolution = 1400x900. Don't see how that matters much though (unless you would count AA and such in the equation).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things