Beginner's Wii Hacking Guide 2015 - USB Loading, Wiiware/VC Vackups, GameCube Backups

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials' started by Subscriber0101, Oct 27, 2015.

?

Did this guide help you mod your Wii?

1. Yes, it worked fine!

80.0%
  2. Worked mostly fine, but some problems/bugs in it.

13.3%
  3. No, I couldn't get any decent results by this guide.

6.7%
  1. FoxSky

FoxSky Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Hi, thank you for your guide.
    But just a little question, can I use your guide to update my current system?
    I have done a syscheck below:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Subscriber0101
    OP

Subscriber0101 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    USA
    I'm not too familiar with how safe updating an already-hacekd Wii is.

But I can point out that both your Wii sysmenu and your HBC version are outdated.

3. FoxSky

FoxSky Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    I'm really new to this so could you please tell me what is the best way to updated?

4. Subscriber0101
    OP

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Try posting on this board asking how to update from 4.2 to 4.3 safely, post your syscheck for reference

5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Are all of your system IOSes below 200 original? Just update it from the system menu then re-run Letterbomb and reinstall your cIOSes. (Remove Priiloader first if you are using it.)

6. koname

koname Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2006
    United States
    Is there a possible way to autoboot usbloader gx? so I dont have to always go to it from the homebrew channel?

Last edited by koname, Jul 5, 2016
  7. Vishnoo

Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

Jun 1, 2016
    India
  8. koname

koname Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2006
    United States
    Just another quick question I kept trying to install the usb loader gx uneo forwarder. (so i can have a channel) and I get this the ret 1029 error any tips?

solved this problem just now gotta do autoboot so that when I quit a game I dont have to restart again. and just autoboots when i start up the wii. will try again later

Last edited by koname, Jul 6, 2016
  9. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Get the forwarder dol and install it in Priiloader. You can set it to autoboot from that.

10. Vishnoo

Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

Jun 1, 2016
    India
    Can i autoboot with priloader.Would you give me a link.

11. Clutz450

Clutz450 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2013
    United States
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/files/Releases/Forwarders dols/

There you can download the Forward dol. Put that file on your SD card (root would work), load up PriiLoader, install the dol (can't remember the exact option name), then go to autoboot settings and change autoboot to installed file. Let me know of you need any additional help.

12. Danieliyo

Danieliyo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Hi, I am new to the wii scene as well here on his forum. My wife wants a wii to play some of her favorite games that she played when she was younger. I told her that I heard about a hack for the wii that can play wii and gamecube games. Which thats what she wants to do, be able to play gamecube games as well. My question is, will this guide work for me 100%? is it still up to date? with this guide will I be able to play wii and gamcube games right of a usb/sd or HDD?
    I would appreciate the help. Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks

13. Danieliyo

Danieliyo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Another question. Can a SDHC card be used for wii backups and gamecube backups?

Thanks

14. Subscriber0101
    OP

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Yes! Just some things to know:

1) If your Wii is a version that does not have Gamecube ports, you will need to use a USB controller on it; those USB controllers may take some time to optimally configure.

2) Just follow the guide carefully.

3) For SD card info, this might help, http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2516/~/what-sd-cards-are-compatible?

15. Hking0036

Hking0036 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Do you know how to set up an Emunand with USBLoaderGX/In general? What's the difference between SNEEK/UNEEK/Regular emunand? I have a nand dump on my SD card with some installed wads but when I try to launch them it just kicks me to the home menu.

16. Subscriber0101
    OP

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Sadly I am not familiar with those aspects, I've never needed to use them.

Hking0036 likes this.
  17. WiiForMe

WiiForMe Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2016
    Hi thanks for the tutorial. Everything works just fine for me. I however have one (very specific) question.

I followed your tutorial because I wanted to play the midway arcade treasures series on my pal wii (it's NTSC GCN). However, the second volume simply won't load on nintendont. Someone suggested it was because it loads differently, so it doesn't matter whether you use the disc or the iso on sd.

Any thoughts? Any ideas of a different loader? No big deal if not - just wanted to kick my wife's arse at mortal kombat.

Cheers!

18. Subscriber0101
    OP

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Midway Arcade Treasures 2? Hmmm...

Try using the PAL60 patch you can find in Nintendont settings first.

19. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    How does the second disc work from the original? If it doesn't require you boot from the first one then it may just be considered a separate title. Try naming both of them "game.iso" rather than "game/disc2" and see if it shows up.

You could also look at both ISOs with a hex editor and if the first six bytes aren't the same they're different titles and should be separate as mentioned above.

20. WiiForMe

WiiForMe Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2016
    Hi Greywolf. Sorry I don't think I was particularly clear. The second 'volume' I mentioned is actually a standalone single disc - the second in the series.