Beginner's Wii Hacking Guide 2015 - USB Loading, Wiiware/VC Vackups, GameCube Backups

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials' started by Subscriber0101, Oct 27, 2015.

?

Did this guide help you mod your Wii?

1. Yes, it worked fine!

80.0%
  2. Worked mostly fine, but some problems/bugs in it.

13.3%
  3. No, I couldn't get any decent results by this guide.

6.7%
  1. Subscriber0101
    OP

Member Subscriber0101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    (Author: Subscriber0101, last updated October 28th 2015)

Hey everyone, looking to write (for friends and whatnot) a comprehensive guide on hacking the Wii that helps people mod it for the most popular uses. Any suggestions/corrections/feedback would help. Here it is.

I'm looking to make this tutorial simple, concise and comprehensive.

THIS TUTORIAL IS MEANT FOR WII, not vWii ON WII U. ALSO, THIS TUTORIAL IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH WII MINI DUE TO IT'S LACK OF SD CARD SUPPORT.

Welcome to the 2015 All-in-One Wii Hacking tutorial! This tutorial will instruct you in a simple, concise and fairly-brusque way how to use the most common Homebrew functions on Wii.

Steps 1, 2 and 3 are the pre-requisites. Steps 4, 5 and 6 are the end goals.

Here's an overview of what'll happen here.

1 - Install Homebrew (Necessary for all end goals)
    1b - Install Homebrew Browser
    2 - Brick protection (with Priiloader/Bootmii); Optional, but no reason not to
    3 - ciOS d2x tutorial (necessary for 5 and 6)
    4 - Nintendont tutorial - Play GameCube backups, even on Family Edition Wiis
    5 - USB Loader GX tutorial - Play Wii disc backups
    6 - WADs (VC/Wiiware backups tutorial) - Play Wiiware/VC backups

EXTRA - Other Useful Homebrew Apps/Tricks

REQUIREMENTS:
    -Wii, preferably one with Internet
    -PC with Internet
    -SD Card with at least 1gb
    -For GameCube games (step 4): an SD Card/USB stick with at least 2 gb
    -For Wii games (step 5): an SD Card/USB Stick that can fit the game you're putting. An 8gb will hold any game (with the exception of some dual-layer games like Metroid Prime Trilogy). Games have widely varying sizes that range from a few hundred MBs to about 7.5gbs.

First off, before you start Step 1, you (all this stuff is compatible with it) might as well update your Wii to 4.3.

(FOR CLARITY: Anytime I mention "USB Stick" or "USB Drive" in this guide, I am generically referring to any USB flash memory device such as an external HDD or a simple flash drive. Not solely referring to those highly-portable sticks).

(PRE-REQUISITE TIP: If your Wii is having problems reading your SD Card and your PC's formatting it isn't helping, then use SD Card Formatter).

1 - HOMEBREW CHANNEL

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    2. BRICK PROTECTION (Bootmii/Priiloader)

3. INSTALL CIOS

4. NINTENDONT FOR GAMECUBE BACKUPS
    5. USB Loader GX Tutorial
    Must follow Step 3 first.
    6. Virtual Console/WiiWare Backups
    Must follow Step 3 first.
    7. EXTRA - Other Homebrew Apps
    And you're done! That's it for the Wii hacking tutorial. Again, any feedback, suggestions, criticisms or other comments recommended (please inform me of any dead links).

Last edited by Subscriber0101, Oct 28, 2015

2. koname

Newcomer koname Member

United States
    thanks for the guide. havent touched my wii in a while. I have some old mods and I wanna do a fresh reset/install and make it back to factory? How would I do that. I then plan to follow your guide.

Also for usb/stick loading can I use an external hard drive instead?

3. Subscriber0101
    OP

United States
    Yes, as long as it is USB Connected. That's a good point -- I'll update my post to change "USB Stick" to something more inclusive :)

According to my research, it's not exactly easy/possible to remove all traces of mods from a Wii. I'd need to know what kind of mods you have on your Wii to answer.

If you already have HBC installed, then it should be an easier process. I think cIOSes can override others, so I'm quite sure you'd be safe with step 3.

4. raukoseeds

Newcomer raukoseeds Newbie

Netherlands
    Decent enough guide, but a single question remains.

How would I be able to put GC and WII games on a single drive without having the USB loader crash? (freezes at initializing, GC games work perfect).

EDIT: issue resolved itself; apperently I was using a drive with known compatibility issues. Replaced the drive, formatted to FAT32 using Wii Backup Manager. System now plays GC and Wii like a charm.

Last edited by raukoseeds, Oct 27, 2015
  5. Subscriber0101
    OP

United States
    First off, updated post to ditch the rather obsolete WBFS Manager and to explain Wii Backup Manager.

Anyway, I use WBM to transfer Wii to HDD, while I just use the basic Nintendont procedure for putting GCN games. With the WBM games on USB1:wbfs... and the GCN games being on USB1:games/folder/game... it works just fine.

Are you using USB Loader GX 3.0? Could you elaborate on your question, I don't exactly understand it tbh.

EDIT: Okay, that was mostly redundant xD Cause I took a break from typing up the reply, and by the time I submitted you had edited. Glad you were helped!

Last edited by Subscriber0101, Oct 27, 2015
  6. raukoseeds

Newcomer raukoseeds Newbie

Netherlands
    Sorry for wasting your time there mate. Thanks for the tutorial though!

Subscriber0101 likes this.
  7. Subscriber0101
    OP

United States
    Anyone with any feedback, I'd be glad to hear :)

8. Mr. Sparkle

Newcomer Mr. Sparkle Member

United States
    I'm a new user, new to modding Wii and did my first one based on guides I found here and at wiibrew. You're guide looks pretty solid, I like that it's easy to understand for newcomers like myself. Great job!

One suggestion I have is to style the disclaimer "THIS GUIDE IS FOR WII ONLY NOT VWII...", etc. To be in red. It helps to pop it out a little more and help deter newcomers if their console is not compatible with this guide to use another and hopefully prevent a brick.

Other than that, thanks for the updated guide!

9. FaTaL_ErRoR

Member FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

United States
    I'm almost ready to release something for the mini would you be interested in doing one of these guides for it?
    I think we may be able to make the internet function as well. (hardwired of course) I'll send you a pm with the deets when we are ready if you are willing.

10. Subscriber0101
    OP

United States
    I don't own a Wii Mini, so I'd have no experience. But the idea of support for SD/internet sounds pretty cool. Would love to keep posted.

11. csm11

Newcomer csm11 Newbie

United States
    The tutorial works great and this is the first time I've heard about Nintendont so thank you very much! Dios Mios never really worked for me.

12. Subscriber0101
    OP

United States
    Yeah DML is obsolete. Still props to the people who made it b4 Nintendont tho

13. almmiron

Member almmiron GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I have a question regarding cIOS installation and YAWM, if you please. I've downloaded the recommended cios from modmii cios page. I'm doubt about install each one, cause I dont know if I understand the 'sintaxe' of the filenames (for example cIOS202[60]-VXXX.WAD) .

I do understand that, in a wad manager, I need choose ios202 to install this one, and its base is 60, and v for versions.

Some wad managers let me choose the base, and the YAWM don't. There is a problem with that? I mean, I can only choose the ios versions (in this case 202) and thats it? If yes, what the heck is the 'base' selection for?

I think I made myself clear, and please correct me if not.
    Thank you since now.

Last edited by almmiron, Nov 14, 2015
  14. pwsincd

Member pwsincd Garage Flower

United Kingdom
    FYI , guy who made nintendont . made DLM and DM .

Subscriber0101 likes this.
  15. Subscriber0101
    OP

United States
    I'm not familiar with and not a user of ModMii (I appreciate the program, but since I'm only interested in using cIOS for backup loading/WAD installing, I don't need it because I find d2x to be less complex). So tbh, I'm not the person to ask about ModMii.

What are you asking about YAWM? With YAWM, all you need to do is select your cIOS (which when using the d2x tutorial indicated in this guide, is 249).

So I kinda get your question, but I'm not at all familiar with ModMii, so I think you might wanna ask someone else.

In YAWM, when I use it, it simply asks me for the cIOS I want to use to boot it -- I don't recall seeing an option regarding "base".

almmiron likes this.
  16. tswntk

Member tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    The slot and base info are all pre-compiled into the wad.
    All a wad manager do is install it.
    older wad managers require a cios to run itself and that has nothing to do with the the slot and base of the wad you are going to install.
    newer wad mangers uses standard ios 58 and patch it on the fly so you don't need to select what cios to use.

may be you are referring to cios installers such as d2x installer? Those do let you choose the slot and base of the cios to be installed and compile the wad automatically. But those won't install pre-compiled wads.

almmiron likes this.
  17. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ Neighborhood Friendly

United States
    I could have sworn there is a way to get VC WADs to run from the SD card, but I cant find it. I was also pretty certain that you could accidentally brick your Wii if you install too many VC WADs. Anyways, I can't remember, but if anyone knows, I would love some help.

18. petethepug

Member petethepug PUG

United States
    WAD Files are extremely hard to deal with. Sometimes even frustrating because they may cause issues with your game(s) or list of programs for the Shop (Downloaded games.)

Here is some guy installing VC Wads to his Wii for Virtual Games on the shop. Assuming you won't use this for piracy you should be fine using this mod. You will need the following;

- Wad Manager (Your system version) (system region)
    - Multi Mod Manager (Your system version) (system region)

The use: If you don't have a USB Cord, or don't want to use USB Loader GX this will be perfect to use if you need storage on your device. Or getting games without using the Shop.

The method is very confusing. Harder than USB Loader, and puts your Wii at risk for a brick you will not be able to revive your Wii if it completely bricks from a WAD File some mods over write Priiloader when installed sometimes. Such as Multi Mod Manager.

To install Multi Mod Manager:

Uninstall Priiloader by going into the HBC, and selecting Load. It should give you an option to uninstall it off your system. Hit yes

Get the Multi Mod Manager App

Go to Multi Mod Manager, and install it. The installation is all automated so you shouldn't have to worry unless you have a very low source of power

Run Multi Mod Manager, and remove all STUB IOS's.These IOS's are not used for anything, and they are used to prevent people from modding, or installing mods. Uninstall them. (The option should be on the main screen.) Select the "Recommended for all Wii's" option as it will not harm your Wii. Doing any of the other options MAY, OR WILL BRICK YOUR WII. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Patch IOS 36. This should be on the main screen. This will allow you to use Priiloader, Mymenuify, etc... Without the risk of it bricking randomly on start ups, and such.

Reinstall Priiloader with the same method you used to get it installed/uninstalled on your system.

WAD Manager:

Get the correct version of WAD Manager

Run it,

Install it

BORTZ likes this.
  19. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ Neighborhood Friendly

United States
    HA, I appreciate the help, but I can assure you, this is certainly being used for piracy. What about running wads from a usb stick?

petethepug likes this.
  20. petethepug

Member petethepug PUG

United States
    That should work fine as long as long as it's formatted to 32 GB, and the Wii is able to run USB Devices through modifications, or by its self. Assuming your Wii can run USB Loaders, wires, sticks, etc... You should be fine.

https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/how-to-use/wad-manager