Tutorial Beginner's Guide – How to setup your 3DS for gbatemp

What do you want to be added the most?

• Give us more CFWs to choose from when booting

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • Improve the readme.txt and turn it into an awesome readme.html

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Add a working ninjhax 1.1b exploit that will launch old HBL & will be launched by using Cubic Ninja

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Make a guide for 9.3.0+ users (HBL only)

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Make a video of this

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Something else... (Please post suggestions and ideas)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First off, great work on the guide. Immense help.

One thing I noticed: at 2.2.4 I ran into an issue where I had to reboot PastaCFW through browserhax to go into Cubic Ninja a second time. CN had completely disappeared from my home menu. Basically repeating 1.3.5. Maybe it's worth adding a note that users may have to repeat this as necessary.

I'm on 9.0 EU.

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Please take a look at the updated readme.txt inside your downloaded ZIP archive. :) The readme quoted in the OP is from a 'release' version while the version of the actual ZIP you download is from a 'nightly'. So, please only use the readme.txt inside your ZIP download. ^-^
The latest version of the readme (from your twitter link) still says, "3.1.6 Remove the (micro)SD, connect it to your PC and copy the files in the folder "DontTouchThisYet1" onto the root of the (micro)SD. Remove the (micro)SD and insert it back into your 3DS." But there is no such folder.

Dunno what to do...

Reactions: IcedTea_

jc28735250

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My browser version is 1.7567, which is on the supported list. Nothing I've read so far indicates anything's wrong.
It's very weird, too, considering that I can boot successfully to run the Pasta launcher...
Just retried with different card and freshly reset machine, but no luck.
Still can't enter HBL after patching with PastaCFW Launcher.

IcedTea_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please take a look at the updated readme.txt inside your downloaded ZIP archive. :) The readme quoted in the OP is from a 'release' version while the version of the actual ZIP you download is from a 'nightly'. So, please only use the readme.txt inside your ZIP download. ^-^

That was the one from the ZIP haha, I just tried downloading it again off your cloud and it still says the same thing for 3.1.6 and 3.2.3

Thanks for the great guide btw!

Last edited by IcedTea_,

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That was the one from the ZIP haha, I just tried downloading it again off your cloud and it still says the same thing for 3.1.6 and 3.2.3

Thanks for the great guide btw!
The DontTouchThisYet1 folder is meant to contain CTRBootManager boot file and cfg file I think. I found them in the CTRBM thread and it works fine... But RXTools crashes on every attempted load. I see the RXTools splash page on the top screen then after a few seconds it crashes to black screen.

If I try to load RX a second time it will either freeze on CTRBM needing a hard reset or crash to a debug screen, also needing a hard reset. Annoying.

I don't know what DontTouchThisYet2 is meant to hold...

Last edited by Tahaha,

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got RxTools to load by removing the "orig" from "0004013820000002orig.bin" in rxtools/data, and making sure it was from the Reinand 2.1 release. But now in RxTools I only get "Failed to load Native_Firm: 4" error when trying to load into RXMode emunand.

Help?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question.
The readme.txt states not to use the guide with a 2DS yet - any ideas on when this guide will be updated to work on a 2DS running 9.2.0?

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have attempted to load ReiNand instead of RxTools and I am failing just the same. There must be a problem with the steps I have done previously. I keep hitting this debug crash screen:

IMAG0649.jpg

I get the same thing when I try to launch directly to a CFW using its boot.3dsx instead of the CTRBootManager one, so it not a problem with CTRBM.

It must be a problem with the missing file(s) from the missing "DontTouchThisYet1" folder. Anyone have a copy of that release?

Last edited by Tahaha,

jc28735250

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got RxTools to load by removing the "orig" from "0004013820000002orig.bin" in rxtools/data, and making sure it was from the Reinand 2.1 release. But now in RxTools I only get "Failed to load Native_Firm: 4" error when trying to load into RXMode emunand.

Help?

Do you have an old 3DS or new 3DS?
The package uploaded by OP is actually for new 3DS, for the old 3DS the official firmware.bin from Nintendo needs to be downloaded and placed in rxtools/sys

Last edited by jc28735250,

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have an old 3DS or new 3DS?
The package uploaded by OP is actually for new 3DS, for the old 3DS the 0004013820000002orig.bin needs to be renamed to firmware.bin and placed in rxtools/sys
Yeah I'm on N3DS. 9.0.0-20E

I've tried many things too, no dice. Gonna have to wait for OP to reply --
I've tried everything too. Looking for details in every guide I can find. Emunand just will not load.

jc28735250

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off thanks for the guide; while I wasn't able to successfully do everything it served as a nice starting point for further research.
Here's some feedback on individual steps: (I used an old 3DS with sys menu 9.2)

1.3: I could never get HBL to load again through browserhax after I used the Pasta Patcher. So, I went ahead and installed themehax, which defaults to load HBL on startup. This actually made things easier for me than fumble with browserhax, as I found the boot rate to be rather poor.

2.1: I could never get ninjahax to work. I installed the game, went into the QR code scanner, scanned the code, and the game just froze. Every single time. I even searched for the JPN version and used the JPN QR code, but no luck there either. I finally followed a chinese guide that had a QR code to http://go.gateway-3ds.com and that successfully booted the Gateway menu. Everything worked, too (both NAND backup and emuNAND formatting). As such, I don't think cubic ninja is necessary at all.

3.1.2: your rxtools folder is set up incorrectly for old 3DS unfortunately. The 0004013820000002orig.bin is for new 3DSs only; for old 3DSs it should be the 3485 KB version straight from Nintendo's servers IMO. BTW, this file needs to be named firmware.bin and placed in rxtools/sys for old 3DS.

3.1.6: "DontTouchThisYet1" should be changed to "CBM".

3.2.3: No idea what this should be, but "DontTouchThisYet2" doesn't exist.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah I'm on N3DS. 9.0.0-20E

I've tried everything too. Looking for details in every guide I can find. Emunand just will not load.
The error message "Failed to load Native_Firm: 4" means that the firmware.bin file (or in n3ds case 0004013820000002orig.bin) is corrupt or missing. For me once I put the correct firmware.bin file in place it worked, but obviously this will be different for new 3DS. Sorry can't be of much help :/

Last edited by jc28735250,

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The error message "Failed to load Native_Firm: 4" means that the firmware.bin file (or in n3ds case 0004013820000002orig.bin) is corrupt or missing. For me once I put the correct firmware.bin file in place it worked, but obviously this will be different for new 3DS. Sorry can't be of much help :/
Yeah, I just removed "orig" as an experiment. Rxtools loaded perfectly but then I couldn't get into rxmode. So it was useless.

AileenLumina

Python main, software engineer and API designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry for the trouble. Apparently, MEGA didn't sync the files properly. The latest version is online now. And, as far as I know, the pre-renamed firmware.bin i put in the cloud (which is the 9.5.0 one) is perfectly okay because you can just perform a system update once you're in emuNAND. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

BTW, the next thing I'm going to do is adding more firmwares that may have advantages compared to rxTools. Suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by AileenLumina,

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for the trouble. Apparently, MEGA didn't sync the files properly. The latest version is online now. And, as far as I know, the pre-renamed firmware.bin i put in the cloud (which is the 9.5.0 one) is perfectly okay because you can just perform a system update once you're in emuNAND. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Yeah, it's fine. I had it confirmed in another thread.

But what still concerns me the most is the debug message I'm constantly getting, which I posted above. It seems to be a problem with browserhax or HBL. Do you get it?

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I decided to format device and sdcard and start everything from scratch. No steps were different from what you described and everything worked first time. Until it came to RxTools. Still can't load it at all. The debug screen also flashes consistently. The furthest I can get is booting CBM. I cannot boot into sysNAND(PastaCFW) either. I have tried booting RxTools directly using the boot.3dsx also but it was unsuccessful.

The Pasta Loader did work to patch out the signature checks earlier in the tut though.

I am N3DS XL 9.0.0-20E

Edit: My feeling is that there is some file or filelocation missing in the tutorial which my system needs to load CFWs... What is the nature of the ninjhax use in this tutorial? Does it need to be a later version of ninjhax? Could that even be a cause of these problems?

Last edited by Tahaha,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd suggest perhaps using a different guide, one that just focuses on getting a cfw installed. This guide is great for attempting to get everything sorted all at once, but if you're having troubles it would seem best to break it down - and as the most important and fundamental part of the whole shebang is installing a cfw you should concentrate on that.
Sounds like you've already successfully created an emunand partition, so you'll be able to skip ahead in whatever guide you choose.
I've personally not installed a cfw on a n3ds (only on my o3ds), so I can't specify the best guide to use, but I know there are several guides on gbatemp for setting up rxtools on n3ds.
Also, if you continue to have problems with rxtools you maybe ought to look at the guides for setting up reinand as your cfw. Reinand was created specifically for n3ds and might be an easier way to go.
If you are successful with another guide, you can just jump ahead with this guide to set up the extras like auto booting with ctrbootmanager etc.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: AileenLumina

IcedTea_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give the updated guide a try later tonight, thanks for the update OP :)

I'll let you know if i manage to get through Tah, since we both started off on the same base firmware and n3DS.

IcedTea_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so i think the problem lies with the firmware.bin file...

Tahaha i had the same issues, it could boot without the 'orig' but the then i would get the native error, with the orig in place it would just get stuck in the debug screen.
I tried getting a rxTools from the nightlies as per another guide, and a fresh firmware.bin from ReiNands Zip -- both had the same issue.

Soooooo, I had a look at the Cakes CFW page as i was getting bored/frustrated and it had an interesting note on the bottom of the first post:
"The new 3ds needs a (encrypted, so ReiNAND's won't work) 9.5 firmware.bin. This isn't available from Nintendo's servers anymore, so you will have to hunt it down yourself. The MD5 is b99adf0adb279712367c06eb83ba9ae6"
Thread here

The md5 of the firmware.bin provided with OP's release does not match that, I tried to use the rxTools script 'cdn_firm.py' (from the nightly) in hopes of pinching the right firmware.bin but that was way off (looks like its the old 3ds one).

At least (I think) we've figured out whats wrong! Only issue is now finding a d/l for that specific firmware.bin ...

OP would you by any chance be able to use your voodoo to find this?

Let me know what you guys think...

Last edited by IcedTea_,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end