Hardware Beginner Tablet

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, here I am, nearing xmas and I have an extra bit of cash left over from my birthday so... I've been thinking a while about being able to draw using computers and the like, since I quit the hobby because of colouring/no scanner. I also figure it would be a good idea to have a look at the subject, since I probably study graphic design sooner or later.

It looks like Wacom is the way to go, but their tablets are also pretty expensive. So what I'm asking basically is: What should I buy? Are the Bamboo and the like worth my while?

elfgirl_45

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Depends on how serious you are or how much you plan on using it... if it's just casual or doing simple stuff then the Graphire or Bamboo should be fine. If you plan on doing a lot of drawing or detailed stuff, then spring for an Intuos3, it has the 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity as opposed to the others which have 512. Try craigslist or ebay if you just want to try one out for a reasonable price. And yeah definitely stick to Wacom. And if you like drawing that much, there's nothing wrong with a good old piece of paper and pencil/pen.
smile.gif
Don't let your drawing tools or lack thereof hold you back!

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wacom Intuos3 4x9 (wide) and I just love it.
From the research I did before I bought mine, I'd say don't get anything but a Wacom. They're built well, problem free, and no batteries to replace in the pen. Really, life's been much easier since I got mine. So, start saving up.
biggrin.gif

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll vouch for Wacom too, I have a Graphire2 (Yay for out of production!) and years after it still works marvelously.
If money is an issue but you plan to do digital painting...then save up for an Intuos. If you're only in it for graphic design and simpler drawings then a Graphire should cover you.

If nothing else, a bit of patience and time can make up for lack of hardware.
I've seen some crazy art done with crayons...

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll pretty much mirror the sentiments of everyone who responded. I have an Intous3 and I love it, but it can be overkill depending on the complexity of the stuff you want to do.

I haven't been to the wacom site in awhile, but I do believe they sell refurbished tablets as well. The price break isn't great, but hey, anything off can help.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Graphire tablet but I just couldn't get used to it. When I draw I like to tilt and turn my page alot so I just can't get into drawing with a tablet.
frown.gif
If only I could afford a Cintiq (pressure sensitive monitor).

RayorDragonFall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there much difference between Graphire 3 and 4?
Looks like a Graphire would be better than Bamboo in the long run?

GrayFox Cap

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't kept up with what model does what these days... but I've got an old Wacom Graphire (1?) when they first switched over to USB which still works like a charm. I think it was about $150 (Canadian Dollars) or so at the time of purchase.

Anyway, my point is that even the lower range tablets would be fine for a "Beginner Tablet". If you decide to stick in the design business for the long run... then you can go for the more expensive models.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, here I am, nearing xmas and I have an extra bit of cash left over from my birthday so... I've been thinking a while about being able to draw using computers and the like, since I quit the hobby because of colouring/no scanner. I also figure it would be a good idea to have a look at the subject, since I probably study graphic design sooner or later.

It looks like Wacom is the way to go, but their tablets are also pretty expensive. So what I'm asking basically is: What should I buy? Are the Bamboo and the like worth my while?
I'm gonna give you some advice that some chick once gave me...
nyanya.gif

Pencil + Pen, Paper, Scanner, and Adobe Illustrator.

(Look for the "Live Trace" option once you open up your scanned line art in Illustrator and play around with the settings for the best look, save your newly modified hard line art, and colorize in PS. Also, pick up a cheap scanner, is it's loads cheaper than a tablet.
wink.gif
)

RayorDragonFall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol Martin, long time no see!
Anyways:
I know, I know, thankfully I still remember what I say
tongue.gif

It's just that if I'm going to do something proper later on, aka. not just drawings, I think it would be a good idea to get something cheap to play with and learn the basics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1