PS1/2 Been out of the scene for a while. Have some questions.

makoto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a hard-modded ps1, fat ps2, and a soft-modded ps2 slim and ps3.

I don't like having a bunch of systems out, especially since I have other consoles. So would like to use as little space as I can.

1: How are the later gen playstations at playing the previous gen games from a purest's standpoint?

2: What are the options for playing ps1 game backups on a ps2 slim? As I really like the ps2 slim.

3: Are running games from usb on the ps2 slim really that bad? I would really like to use it.

4: Can someone point me to how I can get a dualshock 4 running on a ps2? usb is fine.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Last edited by makoto,

ShaolinAssassin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
2: What are the options for playing ps1 game backups on a ps2 slim? As I really like the ps2 slim.

You can give POPS/POPStarter a try - it's emulation, tho. A beginner guide I wrote for it : https://bitbucket.org/ShaolinAssassin/popstarter-documentation-stuff/wiki/quickstart-usb

3: Are running games from usb on the ps2 slim really that bad? I would really like to use it.

It doesnt harm to give it a try. All you need is a USB device formatted to FAT32. If you're not satistied, you can also try SMB mode with your Slim, or get a NA + HDD for your fat.

4: Can someone point me to how I can get a dualshock 4 running on a ps2? usb is fine.

That's not possible.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I have a hard-modded ps1, fat ps2, and a soft-modded ps2 slim and ps3.
i would say, get rid of the ps1
use the fat ps2 (or slim ps2) for ps2 games

you can use ps2 classics on the ps3 but it's emulation though :/

you can play ps1 on both systems.. in the ps3 it is throught emulation but it works great... (you can use your official discs)

1: How are the later gen playstations at playing the previous gen games from a purest's standpoint?
ps2 on ps3 could be much better... some games work fine, others it's slow..
but ps1 games work fine.

can't a person use free mc boot? i thought you could play ps1 discs without issue with free mc boot...

you can also load them through SMB (network)

even on the ps3 some stuff is not working.. http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/DualShock_4_Compatible_PlayStation_3_Games

ShaolinAssassin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
can't a person use free mc boot? i thought you could play ps1 discs without issue with free mc boot...

Nope. The other options are :
- PS2PSXE (PS1 emulator, never finished. Emulation is not so good) ;
- psx-launcher.elf = I dont think it's compatible with the Slims. Allows to play burned backups with an unmodded PS2. There is also the uLE swap trick, but I wouldnt recommend it.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
- psx-launcher.elf = I dont think it's compatible with the Slims. Allows to play burned backups with an unmodded PS2. There is also the uLE swap trick, but I wouldnt recommend it.
you can do it with a slim too.
but this is a shit, you need to disc swap...
the difference is psx launcher will stop the disc for swaping so you don't have to wear out the motor..

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The other options are :
- PS2PSXE (PS1 emulator, never finished. Emulation is not so good) ;
psxlauncher.elf is not compatible with fat ps2 models lower than the 5000x models and it also does not work on ps2 slim 9000x models. Anything else it will run fine. For a fat ps2 it's best if you have a flip top case for it so you can easily swap disc. Also if you are going to use ps2 or even ps1 to swap disc to play ps1 backup games you need a legit ps1 game that has a high TOC/table of contents. A copy of tomb raider 1/2/3 will work from what i have tried. That or buy a psxchange2 ps1 swap disc.

Running ps1 games on a ps2 you will come across issues like for example, mortal kombat trilogy freezing after you beat arcade mode or when the timer runs out to zero. Also the ps2 slim has issues with some ps1 games like slap happy rhythm busters which runs fine on a fat ps2. Never run games through usb unless they are emulators, it's awful since ps2 systems use usb 1.1 instead of 2.0. If he can i'd really advise OP to just keep all 3 system out due to certain issues like that.

Last edited by cvskid,

ShaolinAssassin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok. I thought it was only compatible with some fat models. Never tried it myself.

Never run games through usb unless they are emulators, it's awful since ps2 systems use usb 1.1 instead of 2.0.

Its not that awful... Anyway, the best is the he tries it himself.

makoto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. A lot of useful information.

-I do have a NA and HDD on my fat already. I think the optical drive is dying in it though. So would be nice to use my slim for discs.

Do you still need to patch backups to run on a free mcboot slim? So many discs......

What is the latest version? The site has 1.93, but I think I saw 1.94?

-I might give SMB and psxlauncher.elf on the slim a try.

-I do use my DS4 on my ps3 for games that don't require analog buttons. Love it. I could have swore someone released a ps2 app that let you use it on a ps2 though.

ShaolinAssassin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you still need to patch backups to run on a free mcboot slim? So many discs......

Actually, you don'tuse FMCB for running backups, you use ESR - different app.

Yep, still - and it wont change. Yep, OPL in SMB mode is maybe a good solution for you.

What is the latest version? The site has 1.93, but I think I saw 1.94?

1.952. You can find an up-to-date newbie pack version here : http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/free-mcboot-1-95-noobie-package-154675/index9.html#post1207087

I do use my DS4 on my ps3 for games that don't require analog buttons. Love it. I could have swore someone released a ps2 app that let you use it on a ps2 though.

IMO, it aint gonna happen. And if it was found out, all apps would need to be "patched".

makoto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit of an update.

I updated Free McBoot and got SMB running on my slim via OPL. Works really well.

I have recently come across the My Life in Gaming youtube channel and omg it's a godsend.

This video was all about what system gives the best PS1 picture quality. They also talk about imperfections.

From that I am leaning towards PS1 on PS2. My PS1 drive is way worse than my PS2 fats. It has 2 notches missing from the middle part.

I can play PS1 discs no problem on the fat. Since it has a modchip. On the Slim I have yet to get swapping to work. I hear you don't need psxlauncher, just ulaunchelf.
However I'm not sure if I need to block sensors with this method though.

Also I haven't messed with POPStarter/POPS yet. I'm not sure I want to emulate.

Lastly the DS4 on PS2 was more of a test. It only worked in the menu. I thought progess would have been made. Sadly there wasn't.

Thanks again for the advice which was given.

Last edited by makoto,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name speaks true :P