Homebrew Been out of the loop and need some advice on USB loaders

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't had a modded wii in a long time but in the past I used USB loader GX which seemed to work nicely for me. I got a few questions:

1. I don't have a GCN memory card. Is there still a way to use backups and somehow have a virtual memory card?

2. Do I have to format an HDD like with the Wii U in order to use it?

3. I have vwii and some other files set up on an SD card already, can I just rename the folder "private" to private2 and it will still function? just asking cuz I don't have a ton of space on this card and I wanna use it for both my wii and wii U and didn't want to touch any of the files I already had set up for my wii U.

Thanks.

Last edited by kbf,

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you'll want to use Nintendont with GameCube games. it will emulate the game card (and let u use regular Wii controllers).
you really want a FAT32 hard drive for this.

I don't know about the SD card question. why not buy a small cheap SD card for the Wii?

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you'll want to use Nintendont with GameCube games. it will emulate the game card (and let u use regular Wii controllers).
you really want a FAT32 hard drive for this.

I don't know about the SD card question. why not buy a small cheap SD card for the Wii?

I have Nintendon't for vwii. Hopefully it will just show up when I try it(moving all the files back now)

Can I set it up somehow so I can play games off an external HDD? because with vwii it seemed like I could only use it on sd card

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes it can be used with an external HDD but the drive needs to be FAT32 in either case. For example, a WiiU formatted drive will not work--you need a separate drive formatted as FAT32.

You absolutely can use it with a HDD... make sure you are using newer versions of the USB loader and Nintendont and that you are placing the files in the appropriate directories. I use the modded version of cfg loader and Im assuming usb loader gx is similar. The other thing is that realistically you need a hard drive that gets power from a wall plug. I wouldn't mess with 2.5 inch bus-powered devices at all (some people use these with Y adapters to a different power source).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes it can be used with an external HDD but the drive needs to be FAT32 in either case. For example, a WiiU formatted drive will not work--you need a separate drive formatted as FAT32.

You absolutely can use it with a HDD... make sure you are using newer versions of the USB loader and Nintendont and that you are placing the files in the appropriate directories. I use the modded version of cfg loader and Im assuming usb loader gx is similar. The other thing is that realistically you need a hard drive that gets power from a wall plug. I wouldn't mess with 2.5 inch bus-powered devices at all (some people use these with Y adapters to a different power source).
I use mine with a Y-cable and have had no problems with it, I would definitely recommend that over a large 3.5" external that's almost as big as the Wii U. Anyway, it sounds like he's asking about Wii, so it doesn't apply in his case anyway.
I haven't had a modded wii in a long time but in the past I used USB loader GX which seemed to work nicely for me. I got a few questions:

1. I don't have a GCN memory card. Is there still a way to use backups and somehow have a virtual memory card?

2. Do I have to format an HDD like with the Wii U in order to use it?

3. I have vwii and some other files set up on an SD card already, can I just rename the folder "private" to private2 and it will still function? just asking cuz I don't have a ton of space on this card and I wanna use it for both my wii and wii U and didn't want to touch any of the files I already had set up for my wii U.

Thanks.
You don't need to rename the private folder. At least I never bothered with it. Savegames exported to SD are not console unique anyway and IIRC WiiWare/VC are stored in a separate directory for each console so there should be no conflicts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM