Hacking Been away from the 3DS modding scene, have some questions

NoWeeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been away from the 3DS modding scene for about 6 months. I have an o3ds on 9.2 sysnand and 10.5 emunand. I have RxTools, CakesCFW, NTR, Pasta, and of course ninjhax installed onto my device. Here are the questions I have:

1. How do I update my emunand? I know this is probably nooby question but I legit forgot how to do anything

2. How do I access RxTools? I have an old link that used to be the RxTools launcher but it no longer works. If someone can link it, that would be great

3.Is there any updated versions of the CFW I have? If so, can you link the files as well?

Thanks

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been away from the 3DS modding scene for about 6 months. I have an o3ds on 9.2 sysnand and 10.5 emunand. I have RxTools, CakesCFW, NTR, Pasta, and of course ninjhax installed onto my device. Here are the questions I have:

1. How do I update my emunand? I know this is probably nooby question but I legit forgot how to do anything

2. How do I access RxTools? I have an old link that used to be the RxTools launcher but it no longer works. If someone can link it, that would be great

3.Is there any updated versions of the CFW I have? If so, can you link the files as well?

Thanks
Don't use rxtools anymore. Follow this guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki then https://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: gnmmarechal

NoWeeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, with the a9lh+luma3ds, it's basically stock with access to all homebrew and the like.

Essentially, a9lh runs before anything official starts running, and lum3ds patches the necessary bits while not being flashy about it. You've got FBI, luma3ds updater, and homebrew channel, all installed to the home menu, so need for dedicated games for entry-points anymore. Through that plailect guide you can flash your emunand and run it as your sysnand. So basically, a lot less to worry about anymore.

It's a bit of a process, but recommended because it's a loooot easier now with this stuff.

Last edited by osaka35,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But how do I update my emunand?
Once you have your CFW set up, be it using CFW on your sysNAND or emuNAND, you can just update your 3DS like normal. Just make sure your CFW is set up first.

NoWeeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, with the a9lh+luma3ds, it's basically stock with access to all homebrew and the like.

Essentially, a9lh runs before anything official starts running, and lum3ds patches the necessary bits while not being flashy about it. You've got FBI, luma3ds updater, and homebrew channel, all installed to the home menu, so need for dedicated games for entry-points anymore. Through that plailect guide you can flash your emunand and run it as your sysnand. So basically, a lot less to worry about anymore.

It's a bit of a process, but recommended because it's a loooot easier now with this stuff.
Do I need a new version of ninjhax to install a9lh. I have a very old version form 2014 installed on my 3ds

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need a new version of ninjhax to install a9lh. I have a very old version form 2014 installed on my 3ds
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

That's the go-to guide. You don't need ninjahax to make it work. Though, what firmware is your emunand on?

actually, just read over the guide. It should help give you a better idea than I probably can.

Last edited by osaka35,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10.5.0-30U
You won't be downgrading emunand, by the way, I was just curious =]. You'll be using your (i'm assuming) 9.2 sysnand to do the actual installation. You'll be injecting your 10.5 emunand later on as your sysnand, after a9lh has been installed.

NoWeeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't be downgrading emunand, by the way, I was just curious =]. You'll be using your (i'm assuming) 9.2 sysnand to do the actual installation. You'll be injecting your 10.5 emunand later on as your sysnand, after a9lh has been installed.
Ok, I'm slightly confused. So when I install a9lh, it will update my sysnand to 10.5?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm slightly confused. So when I install a9lh, it will update my sysnand to 10.5?
Sys 9.2 is exploitable. So you're going to use 9.2, your sysnand, to install a9lh. After it installs to the boot sector, a9lh will run luma3ds, luma3ds will patch sysnand, then your sysnand will load (basically).

Once a9lh is installed, any 9.2+ firmware is going to run fine on it. It's at this point (more or less) that you'll be taking your emunand and making it your sysnand. You don't *have* to put your emunand as your sysnand, I was just assuming you'd want to keep your saves and games you've already got installed.

If you really wanted to, you could keep your sysnand at 9.2, and then keep using your emunand as normal...but...there's really no reason to. You also don't have to update, but there's no reason for that either.

Essentially, a9lh allows for use of a fully patched sysnand, updatable and hopefully future-proof (though always wait after a new update is available, just to be sure). Once you get it installed, you can update to the latest firmware (11.1) and still have a patched firmware.

Last edited by osaka35,

NoWeeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sys 9.2 is exploitable. So you're going to use 9.2, your sysnand, to install a9lh. After it installs to the boot sector, a9lh will run luma3ds, luma3ds will patch sysnand, then your sysnand will load (basically).

Once a9lh is installed, any 9.2+ firmware is going to run fine on it. It's at this point (more or less) that you'll be taking your emunand and making it your sysnand. You don't *have* to put your emunand as your sysnand, I was just assuming you'd want to keep your saves and games you've already got installed.

If you really wanted to, you could keep your sysnand at 9.2, and then keep using your emunand as normal...but...there's really no reason to. You also don't have to update, but there's no reason for that either.

Essentially, a9lh allows for use of a fully patched sysnand, updatable and hopefully future-proof (though always wait after a new update is available, just to be sure). Once you get it installed, you can update to the latest firmware (11.1) and still have a patched firmware.
Ok so I am currently trying to install A9LH. I was reading the guide and it says there should be a files9 file and I don't have one. where can I get the folder?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I created the files9 folder. But how do I get NANDmin.bin
The guide has three parts. The first is an overview and will help you get a sense of what's going to be taking place. You'll be going line by line in the actual "doing stuff" steps, following each step. The guide will tell you which steps are relevant to your case. If you don't follow it exactly, you'll brick your 3ds permanently.

NANDmin.bin is created right before downgrading. The same app you're using to downgrade will create it. Don't try and do anything by guessing, the guide will tell you what to do, how to do it, and when to do it.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: civickm

NoWeeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guide has three parts. The first is an overview and will help you get a sense of what's going to be taking place. You'll be going line by line in the actual "doing stuff" steps, following each step. The guide will tell you which steps are relevant to your case. If you don't follow it exactly, you'll brick your 3ds permanently.

NANDmin.bin is created right before downgrading. Don't try and do anything by guessing, the guide will tell you what to do, how to do it, and when to do it.
This all seems super complicated... I think I might just stick to Cakes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU