Been away for some time - can the Vita run PSP games or PS2 games?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by dancooper93, Dec 7, 2012.

Dec 7, 2012
    • Newcomer

dancooper93 New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Can the Vita be hacked for a start?

And if so, can it run PSP ISO's extracted from UMD's or PS2 games?

If so, how do I do this?

Thanks!

yifan_lu New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Nope, you can't. Not anymore.

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's never been able to play PS2 games.

There is official support for PSP games, but only those bought online.

There has been some homebrew, but they rely on online shop games and Sony is pulling+patching those exploits within hours sometimes, and even then it only gives you a limited PSP-mode (usermode homebrew only).
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Hey, Einstein! I'm on your side!

Message Count:
    Poland
    Total Noob's solution gives you kernel access, so it's a CFW equivalent for the Vita's PSP sandbox. That said, yes, you gotta hunt down an exploit first.

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    Did that ever actually, you know, come out in a usable form?

'Cause if not then it's not relevant to the OP, who I'm sure is more interested in what's actually possible. :P
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    It did come out in a "usable" form - in fact it had a few revisions already... :P

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    So was I thinking of something else that had the game name leaked early and patched?
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    Probably. I'm not sure I'm familiar with what you're referring to. In any case, all the latest exploits involving eCFW were kernel exploits - first a usermode exploit was executed and then the rights were elevated, allowing for eCFW installation. This method still works in 2.00 and 2.01, but the name of the game involved has not yet been released.

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    Well, the OP, if he wants a Vita hack, should get a Vita and not update the firmware until the next exploit.

Originality Chibi-neko

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    In order to get the next exploit, I would thinks that he would need to download the exploited game from PSN first (once named, before pulled/patched by Sony). In order to use PSN, he would need to update first, right?

So there's little point in holding back from updates unless you happen to already have an exploitable game (unlikely).
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    Yup - that's entirely correct. Besides, there are already videos on wololo showing an exploit working on 2.01, so yeah - we all might as well stay up-to-date.

driverdis I am Justice

Message Count:
    United States
    for People like me and others who have not got a eCFW compatable game yet, this is true, but for those that can already run eCFW, its bad as you would need to buy a new game again and try to not miss the window to get it.
    • Reporter

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Message Count:
    Antarctica
    Nope.

http://wololo.net/2012/12/08/did-you-miss-the-ninja-release-then-hurry-up-and-get-ecfw/

Also what's so bad about buying a game to play other games? It's not like the exploitable games have cost that much so far compared to the price of the console?

driverdis I am Justice

Message Count:
    United States
    It does over time. it has the same effect as Microtransactions. a 5-20$ every now and then is nothing compared to the Vita but after 5 times of doing it. you have spent 25-100$ buying exploit games depending on their price. a little over 1/3 of the cost of a vita.
    • Reporter

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Message Count:
    Antarctica
    Then again, how much do you know of the original PSP hacking and how it was done regarding the price point? Wololo.net has a good post regarding that too.

http://wololo.net/2012/12/18/psp-exploits-and-the-vita-how-hacking-psp-minis-became-relevant/

It may not be good to buy a new game every time an exploit is released, but it sure is the only way to get an exploit running on the current PSVita. The PSP hacking changed when the private keys for the PS3 were released since the PSP keys were bundled with the results of that hack. Before that, it was pretty much a public demo not via PSN or a game with an exploitable feature. Just like the Wii and pre-Letterbomb hacking.

driverdis I am Justice

Message Count:
    United States
    but with PSP and Wii hacking, the games were usually available on disk/UMD so you could rent one to exploit the console, i rented Twilight Princess back when the Twilight hack came out. now, since the games are digital only, the exploits until now were focusing on full games and not mini's making it expensive to buy a game since you can not rent digital games and sony charging near or at full price for digital copies.
    Last edited by driverdis, Dec 19, 2012

SPONSORED LINKS