Hacking BD-J homebrew game PS4. "Ukko's Journey"

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ukko's Journey PS4, PS3, and XBox One first Blu-Play Title

Ukko's Journey was developed originally for cellphones back in 2008/2009 by LuBlu Entertainment. In 2017 the team decided to port the game to Blue-Play. Developer misthalu says this is a proof-of-concept demonstration to show what is possible with Blue-Play. Blu-Play games are "small-scale homebrew games coded with Blu-ray Disc Java (BD-J), and which therefore runs on any game-console that comes with a built-in Blu-ray player", which at present time includes PS3, PS4 and XB1. In other words, you don't need a special version of a Blu-Play title in order to run it on your console. One disc runs on all.​
Blue-Play Features
  • Performance: The game plays with 50+ fps.​
  • Audio: Plays ingame music + sound-effects.​
  • Persistent storage: Remembers your settings between disc ejects.​
  • Controls: 11 buttons on the gamepad useable.​
  • Internet: Uploads/downloads highscores to/from UkkosJourney.com .​
  • Network: Sends the cellphone version of the game to your Wi-Fi connected JavaME enabled phone via your local network.​
How to Play
For a retail non-hacked PS3/PS4 you need to burn the ISO onto some sort of Blue-ray disc. So you need a Blue-ray burner.
On a PS3 CFW you can run the ISO from harddisk by mounting the ISO with multiMAN or webMAN from BDISO folder.
On the Xbox One you have the option to use DVD and Blue-ray. Both naturally work.

Setup
If you want to the the online scoring system for the game, make sure the console's Blue-ray settings allow the disc to go online.
On the PS3 the setting is in Video Settings then "BD - Internet connection".
On the XB1 it is in Blu-ray settings then "Enable BD Live to improve Blu-ray playback".

As a side note before starting a game you might want to redefine the controls via in game settings. Also make sure to enter your nickname for the highscores.

FAQ
Q: Which platforms will this run on?
A: You should always expect Blu-Play games to only run on the gaming consoles that comes with a built-in Blu-ray player. These are the consoles Blu-Play is all about. However, Blu-Play games should theoretically also run on any other Blu-ray player. (Just don't expect any stunning framerates everyhere). Some examples:
- Windows: Get your hands on a software media player that supports BD-J, like e.g. PowerDVD from Cyberlink. Play ISO from harddisk. Tested and works fine with a good frame (depending on your CPU of course).
- Mac: Same deal. Find a software media player that supports BD-J. There's "MacGo Blu-ray Player", but I haven't tested that one.
- Linux: VLC is getting BD-J support implemented these days. You may be able to run Ukko's Journey on one of the nightly builds, Just don't expect all features of the game to run - if it runs at all. (Keep in mind there's no official release of "VLC with BD-J support" yet).
- Samsung Blu-ray players: It seems that Samsung players more frequently accepts Blu-ray content on a DVD than other brands, so you may be able to run Blu-Play games from a DVD on these players.
- Other Blu-ray players: Burn the ISO onto a BD-R or BD-RE.
- Other options: Dune HD Smart D1 / Popcorn Hour C200 / Popcorn Hour C300 lets you play the ISO from harddisk.

Q: The graphics in the game looks very pixelated. Does this represent a Blu-Play limitation?
A: Not at all. "Ukko's Journey" was merely ported from a platform with a resolution of only 240x320 pixels. We made HD versions of the fonts and the backgrounds and the foregrounds, but we had to limit the amount of time spent on this project, due to a combination of having a ton of other things on our ToDo list, while not knowing if anyone will take any interest in this Blu-Play idea at all. So we decided to not spend additional time improving the level-graphics yet.

Q: When I try to upload/download highscores, it just says "No data found"!
A: You have probably accidentally entered a highscore ID in Settings. Go back and type "0" for ID. (Never mind the Password field). The highscore settings allows a group of people to compete with each other on their own personal (hidden) highscore list, but you need a highscore-list ID and a password (from me) to be able to use that feature.

Q: Under "Send to phone" it says "JavaME enabled phones only". What's that?
A: JavaME enabled phones was what everyone was using before the arrival of Android phones and iPhones. Almost all phones ran JavaME back then, because it was either embedded into the firmware, or in the OS. If a stock phone couldn't run JavaME, you could always find an app that would let you run it. again regardless of what OS you were using.
Nowadays this is still true for Android. You can simply install phoneME. However, since the MIDlets on this disc were all created for small resolutions, they aren't very useful on the big Android displays.

Q: Do I have to burn the ISO onto a BD-R, or can I use a DVD?
A: You can burn a Blu-ray ISO file onto a DVD, but sadly it won't play everywhere. Xbox One owners are in luck here. PlayStation owners are not. Testing standard Blu-ray players reveals that about 30%-40% of the players accepts Blu-ray content on a DVD, mostly Samsung players.

Q: What exactly is Blu-Play?
A: The Blu-Play label is an attempt of fixing a few widely accepted misconceptions about Blu-ray Disc Java (BD-J), by giving "BD-J homebrew games" a new and "fresh" label. One that sounds a lot better, emphasises that focus is on the gaming-consoles, is much more easily found when searching online, and isn't associated with all the false rumours about the limitations of BD-J. By demonstrating a lot of the functionality here that many people has claimed to be impossible, I'm hoping to breathe new life into BD-J development for the game-consoles.
Read more about Blu-Play here.

Q: I wanna buy a disc with this!
A: There's a BUY link at the blu-play.com website. Note: I will not be making any money on this. The price on the disc is the fee EditHouse is charging.

Last edited by Zero72463,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is this a game in the form of a video? Kinda like a choose your path adventure book? I mean i guess... can it be called homebrew game if it basically a video format? Like i know even some anime Dōjinshi Game Are like this.

Reactions: misthalu

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So is this a game in the form of a video? Kinda like a choose your path adventure book? I mean i guess... can it be called homebrew game if it basically a video format? Like i know even some anime Dōjinshi Game Are like this.
AFAIK this is a game, written in Java, using some characteristic of BluRay discs that are used normally for something else.
It is not in video format. It is an actual game that runs in a Java VM.
You could program a Mario clone if you wanted.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK is a game, written in Java, using some characteristic of BluRay discs that are used normally for something else.
It is not in video format. It is an actual game that runs in a Java VM.
You could program a Mario clone if you wanted.
I mean, i i dunno, a single disc that isn't even licensed to run on the consoles, can work on all 3? seem kinda confusing, especially if is homebrew, how would the people have access to the dev kit to program a game for all 3 working with the same disc? It just doesn't sound like is explained properly. :blink:

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean, i i dunno, a single disc that isn't even licensed to run on the consoles, can work on all 3? seem kinda confusing, especially if is homebrew, how would the people have access to the dev kit to program a game for all 3 working with the same disc? It just doesn't sound like is explained properly. :blink:
Because it is the programming logic defined to make interactive menus in a BluRay movie. You program that in Java (I just got to know that a couple of minutes ago)
So, everything that plays BluRay should be able to run the logic for menus, use that logic for making a game instead of a menu, and you are good to go.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, hypothetical, I could play this on a standalone bluray player with the remote as the controller, righ?t
For what I understand, yes... but your mileage may vary.
...Blu-Play games should theoretically also run on any Blu-ray player. (Just don't expect any stunning framerates everywhere)....

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Very first"? Yeeeaaaaah no. People ran BD-J stuff on the PS4 pretty much since release. Just because it's a new BD-J game doesn't mean it's the first.

Sorry about that just noticed the mistake. I meant to say "Very first Blu-Play title". Please fix that in the title thank you.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
"Blu-play" isn't even an actual term, it seems like it's just some random name someone came up with to try and bank on BD-J homebrew...which has been a thing for yeeeears. I don't know why this is in USN, so I moved it out, and I changed the name to reflect that it's not some "new concept" or anything, it's something that's been around for years.

misthalu

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello

I had to sign up here to respond to this thread.
I am the creator of Ukko's Journey, and also the guy who came up with the "Blu-Play" label in the same go.

"Very first"? Yeeeaaaaah no. People ran BD-J stuff on the PS4 pretty much since release. Just because it's a new BD-J game doesn't mean it's the first.
"Blu-play" isn't even an actual term, it seems like it's just some random name someone came up with to try and bank on BD-J homebrew...which has been a thing for yeeeears. I don't know why this is in USN, so I moved it out, and I changed the name to reflect that it's not some "new concept" or anything, it's something that's been around for years.

That's just it. BD-J has not been a thing for years. There was a big developer interest roughly from 2007-2011, but then it suddenly died. Forums got archived and a lot of links you can find today about BD-J are dead.
For the past 6 years no one has had any interest in BD-J whatsoever. And when researching the topic, I realize it's partly because of a lot of false statements and misconceptions. You can find many forums where someone claims you can't do anything with BD-J. "You can't have audio", and "You can only use 2 action buttons on the PS3 gamepad", and "There's no button-hold functionality", and "It's slow" blah blah.
At the same time, there's a ridiculously large group of people who insists that BD-J = hacking and exploiting, and any attempt at explaining real world facts to this group simply fails.

Never even knew this was possible

Exactly my point.

Being really interested in BD-J development myself (I'm also doing other BD-J projects), I would really love to see a bigger interest in this. But it's clear that this can't happen as long as there's so much confusion about BD-J. People have the wrong idea about what it is, and the rest don't know what it is because "BD-J" isn't saying much.

So I came up with "Blu-Play" as a way to define "Blu-ray Disc Java homebrew games for the gaming consoles". Very specific. "Blu-Play" says a lot more than "BD-J" to the average gamer.
You're absolutely right that I'm trying to give it a new image, but I'm not trying to bank in on anything. It doesn't cost anything to use the label. Its only purpose is to try to make BD-J homebrew games interesting to developers again. I'm only trying to do homebrew developers and homebrew gamers a favor here. That's what I do. Same reason why I created IndieGameMusic.com and lets everyone use it for free.

So yes, "Ukko's Journey" is the very first Blu-Play title. And I hope there'll be many more. Maybe there won't be, time will tell, but I've definitely made an effort now.
It is obviously not the first BD-J game. There has been commercial BD-J games and a little (too little) BD-J homebrew games too.
To list a few commercial examples:
"Dragon's Lair" and "Space Ace".
The movie "Bolt" contained "Bolt's Be-Awesome Mission"
The movie "Ratatouille" contained "Gusteau's Gourmet Game"
One of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" had "Liar's Game"

As for other BD-J homebrew games, you can check out this link.

If there are any developers out there interested in looking into your own Blu-Play creations, I started this thread at java-gaming.org too with lots of useful info and links.

Reactions: Zero72463

misthalu

Trophies
XP
Country
So it's been while. Just thought I'd share some news:
For anyone interested in looking into BD-J coding, developer pages now available at blu-play dot com
Chat with other devs on channel #blu-play on Freenode, IRC.

I'm currently working on this:

Last edited by misthalu,

misthalu

Trophies
XP
Country
"The UFO Game!" has been released.

Get it at blu-play dot com

It can be considered a kind of remake of the 38 year old game "Satellite Attack" for the 2nd generation game console Videopac G7000 from Philips. Also called "UFO!" in the states for the Magnavox Odyssey2.

It clearly belongs in the Asteriods category, but as a twist that makes it more fun (in my opinion).
(I was never really a fan of Asteriods, but "Satellite Attack" got me hooked!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In emulation overclocked FX chips makes a pretty big difference in frame rate