Gaming battery ran dry in half a year?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
this year i changed my ruby battery, i did saved the cartridge in a drawer for some 1-2 months and today i decided to continue to play it, i resumed the save and surprise a wild battery ran dry message appeared

the battery was a brand new standard same size\voltage battery from an electronic component shop...

is there test pins on the cartridge without opening? my dad break the cartridge when he tryed to open it (he didn't know about the slide to open) and decided to use glue so i can't open it again so easily....

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Using glue was your only mistake - the screw would hold the cartridge just fine. Anywho, if the battery was a no name brand, I'm not terribly surprised that it ran out. My ghetto method of fixing this "problem" on one of my cartridges was bridging the original button battery with an AA - it's higher capacity and it's more easily replacable. That said, it hangs out of the cartridge on two wires, so the aesthetic aspect is ruined in the process. You can actually replace the whole battery with two AA's and forget about replacing it altogether. :P

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Using glue was your only mistake - the screw would hold the cartridge just fine. Anywho, if the battery was a no name brand, I'm not terribly surprised that it ran out. My ghetto method of fixing this "problem" on one of my cartridges was bridging the original button battery with an AA - it's higher capacity and it's more easily replacable. That said, it hangs out of the cartridge on two wires, so the aesthetic aspect is ruined in the process. :P

this is why i wanted an answer from you (talkin about the battery hanging out) xD

it was not my fault, he did it without my concern... but that is another story...

is there a way to check if the battery i will purchase will last more? can't i buy this batterys from nintendo itself?

i wouldn't like to make an hole and have wires and a battery hanging out from my precious cartridge <\3

anyway, can i test voltage from the battery on the connection pins?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No clue - I'm not that familiar with the pinout. You'll have to open the cart either way to replace the battery that's in it, so you might as well do that. Instead of shipping batteries from dubious sources you could just solder a standard 3V button battery from any local store (preferably a name brand), you'll probably get better results than with the Hong Kong-made no name ones.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Instead of shipping batteries from dubious sources you could just solder a standard 3V button battery from any local store (preferably a name brand), you'll probably get better results than with the Hong Kong-made no name ones.

thats what i did, i bought it from a local electronic components\repair shop.. but i guess the brand sucked... i don't even remember the name of the brand...

should i try something like amazon? or other online place? the shop i bought the battery is the only one of the kind in lots of km... and i am pretty sure they will give me anther random one...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.