Hardware Battery life after 2.0 update?

jpxdude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed differences in their 3DS battery life after the most recent update?

I have charged my 3DS fully for this morning, and played about 2:13 hours of LoZLA, watched the Green Lantern trailer a couple times, and about 45 mins of Pokemon White, 15 mins of Internet Browsing and accessed the pokedex, eShop and green lantern trailer a couple times today. I've racked up only 3:33 playtime and my 3DS light was blinking red in sleep mode a little while ago. - (Forgot to mention this was during sleep mode)

Is this normal? I swear I'd squeeze more time out of it, especially since I haven't been playing much 3D content.

*Edit 12/06/11

Today I played Zelda Links Awakening for a little over 2 hours, and used the Internet Browser for about 15 mins. My 3DS dropped by 1 bar, and then I have had it in SLEEP MODE closed since bout 10:30AM this morning. At 16:30PM, I checked my 3DS, and it was already showing a red light! I think that the problem is occurring within Sleep Mode, as I initially found it blinking red yesterday whilst it was in sleep mode.

Anyone else notice their 3DS's running out of battery whilst in sleep? Before the update I am pretty certain I could have my 3DS sleeping for a day or two with little impact on the battery!

*Edit - Just to be clear, the most concerning thing is that the severe battery drain is happening during Sleep Mode, I don't believe that actual gaming time has really been affected.

- 13/06/11 - With SpotPass disabled on the Pokedex only, battery drain in sleep mode seems a lot less (only 1 bar down overnight and after 1hr 50 mins of Zelda)

jpxdude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Icealote said:
I dont undestand why you would watch the green lantern trailer more than once.

Lol, I was showing it off to my family at the time while visiting.

As for the battery life, yes I always have WiFi running, full SpotPass and StreetPass features, but it wouldn't depleted as much as it does now.

iceissocold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Icealote said:
I dont undestand why you would watch the green lantern trailer more than once.
I did because I never watched a movie in 3D before. I have to say though, games looks so much better in 3D than movies do.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jpxdude said:
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed differences in their 3rd battery life after the most recent update?

I have charged my 3ds fully for this morning, and played about 2:13 hours of LoZLA, watched the Green Lantern trailer a couple times, and about 45 mins of Pokemon White, 15 mins of Internet Browsing and accessed the pokedex, eshop and green lantern trailer a couple times today. I've racked up only 3:33 playtime and my 3DS light was blinking red in sleep mode a little while ago.

Is this normal? I swear I'd squeeze more time out of it, especially since I haven't been playing much 3d content.
Brightness setting? Powersave setting?

Otherwise, it's because of Zelda running on an emulator and the WiFi always being interacted with. The wireless just chews up more battery now that the eShop is available as well.

jpxdude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Played Zelda Links Awakening for a little over 2 hours, and used the Internet Browser for about 15 mins. My 3DS dropped by 1 bar, and then I have had it in SLEEP MODE closed since bout 10:30AM this morning. At 16:30PM, I checked my 3DS, and it was already showing a red light! I think that the problem is occurring within Sleep Mode, as I initially found it blinking red yesterday whilst it was in sleep mode.

Anyone else notice their 3DS's running out of battery whilst in sleep? Before the update I am pretty certain I could have my 3DS sleeping for a day or two with little impact on the battery!

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't you already post that same message a while back?

Anyway, whenever my battery charges, for a significant amount of time at that, the orange light would remain on. I swear I leave it charging for at least 4 hours. This happened since the v2 update.

jpxdude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Palom said:
Didn't you already post that same message a while back?

Anyway, whenever my battery charges, for a significant amount of time at that, the orange light would remain on. I swear I leave it charging for at least 4 hours. This happened since the v2 update.

I only noticed these problems since yesterday, as I never got the red light before the update, and the battery life would still be good after a day or 2 in sleep mode. Now it seems that the battery is depleting very quick in sleep mode unnaturally. It could be that playing Zelda is killing the battery life, but I doubt it as no 3D is being used, and I also notice that after a couple hour play, the 3DS only shows 1 bar getting used up. It's only after the 3DS has been in sleep mode for a few hours that it'll switch to the red light which is weird.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
See how long it lasts without playing loz. Play some ds games to see a comparison since the emulator shouldn't use up that much power but knowing Nintendo they could have done something wrong.

Another idea is have you changed your brightness setting?

jpxdude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
purplesludge said:
See how long it lasts without playing loz. Play some ds games to see a comparison since the emulator shouldn't use up that much power but knowing Nintendo they could have done something wrong.

Another idea is have you changed your brightness setting?

I will try not playing Links Awakening for the next day and see what happens. I have also disabled the spotpass from the Pokedex which I think might be causing issues. With the brightness, I always leave it at level 3, and prior to the update, I hadn't experienced problems with battery life, in fact I thought the 3DS battery life was quite acceptable, as I could leave it in sleep mode without any charge for up to 2 days! I would never get the red light before...

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, this console was sooo so rushed.
The battery life is appalling, along with plenty of other things..and The eShop prices are so unreasonable. I realise there are new people/kids to the old Nintendo classics..but they really aren't thinking about people who have been buying their games for years...oh yeah...Excitebike....*tumbleweed*
I'm seriously thinking about trading it in for an NGP after I play OoT....and then wait for the near 3DSL in the future.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i get same thing. brightness on lowest/w.powersave on. now after update full charge, put in sleepmode overnight will have red light in morning. and the orange light will stay on if its doing a full charge while shut off.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonstryde said:
i get same thing. brightness on lowest/w.powersave on. now after update full charge, put in sleepmode overnight will have red light in morning. and the orange light will stay on if its doing a full charge while shut off.

Is the wifi on or off?

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
My 3DS doesn't last the night in sleepmode since the update...
Which is strange.

i get the exact same thing! I left it in sleep mode without being in the cradle or charge cable connected and this morning i found it off. i pressed power and it was flashing red so plugged it in to charge. First time i seen it do that after the update. Also have power save on, brightness level 2. audio mid way and wifi on. Usually have a full charge.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what they (Nintendo) did. Have not notice yet...
huh.gif

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is it me or does it seem like nobody uses the cradle when it is in sleep mode? Whenever I'm not using it, it sits in the cradle. The manual says it can be charged over 500 times, thats about a year and a half if you have it charge every day. I have never gotten a red light yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.