Basic Do's and Do NOT's of vWii modding

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Homebrew' started by damysteryman, Dec 17, 2012.

Dec 17, 2012

gi5431 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    hi everyone I want to install the homebrew browser on my wii-u vwii. Is this safe?

• Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    If you talk about the homebrew browser which let you download homebrew to your SD card, then yes it's working fine.
    It's not really installed (on your vWii), it's only a file on your SD card.

You put it into the /apps/Homebrew browser/ folder, launch it using the Homebrew Channel, and it will download other homebrew directly to your SD card.

As long as the homebrew you are using and trying are not touching the internal System of the Wii/vWii, it's safe to use.
    gi5431 likes this.
    • Banned

RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

Message Count:
    United States
    Do you know if wads can be downloaded to any of the ios?I'm curious if it has a different set of ios's,if that is the case,games wouldn't or shouldn't work...
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    Your question doesn't make sense.

You can't download a game into an IOS
    You can't download an IOS either
    "download" mean install? You can't install a game into an IOS either.
    You can install IOS, but it's not needed and dangerous (do not do it!), But you don't need to install IOS at all.

You want to know if the vWii has all the IOS that the channels are succeptible to use? Yes. All the IOS are present and all Wii channels will work on vWii (At least it will launch. Maybe there are backward compatibility problems).
    • Banned

RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

Message Count:
    United States
    You know what I mean,install wads through them,or on them or whatever.I'm also curious of the chances of bricking through homebrew,will we ever be able to write on the nand?

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Message Count:
    Costa Rica
    I think some of those are left behind from your Gecko OS. Usually, folders for WiiFlow are all inside the /wiiflow/ folder.

slingblade1170 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    This thread is definitely needed for most, just because the Wii U has the vWii mode they think everything is a green light. Thanks for this thread, you saved a lot of bricks.

Skeet1983 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Been trying to get codes for WiiWare/VC to work in Wiiflow for a few days now. Every time I try, it says codes not found. Where do I need my code files to be and what format do they need to be in? Right now, I have some in SD/wiiflow/codes that are .txt format (Have not tried them yet)... Please help and thanks :)

petspeed New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark

Ray Lewis New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Edited to stop offending people;-)
    Last edited by Ray Lewis, Jan 7, 2013

Plunt New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    ^
    wtf does that have to do with this thread?
    edit: sorry for the obvious post, but really?
    Last edited by Plunt, Jan 7, 2013

damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Message Count:
    Antarctica
    I agree with Plunt in regards to Ray Lewis's post (and with pwsincd's too in the other sticky, replying to the same post which was cross posted).

You demand hacks for Wii U immediately, and for vWii Backwards Compatibiility to work fine completely hacked on a new console, but since things are not working exactly as what you specifically want them too, you decide to enter bitch mode, and post in both of the Wii U hacking stickies, whingeing about how you are getting rid of your Wii U simply because the hacks and homebrew do not work absolutely perfectly fine and specifically how you want them to, like they would on a regular Wii, not even mentioning anything about the stock Wii U functionality. It is a new console, why would you expect this sort of thing in the first place? :dry:

Not to mention, you are demanding all this within around only a month or so after the console has been launched. Such is unreasonable. Most of the time consoles take much longer to hack than one month. Be thankful that we actually ARE ABLE to hack vWii at all in the first place. Also, what makes you think you are even entitled to these hacks made by others? (both the released and unreleased ones) None of us are entitled to them, we are lucky to even have any hacks at all. :teach:

In posting those posts across the stickies, you have only made yourself look like a demanding fool with an unrealistic sense of entitlement. You may have gotten a bit of attention, but not the type that is worth getting, which only makes you look like even more of a fool in my eyes. :lol: :P

Personally, I do not like such crap in my thread. And I am sure that others would not like it in any other threads they browse. Not to mention, it is both off topic, and unrelated to either of the threads. And with that, if I may ask, for a mod to kindly remove said terrible post from my thread, or well, both threads, please? Thanks in advance :bow:

------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now off topic ranting aside, well kindof.
    I now have some more DO NOTs to add, but since it is not entirely related to vWii hacking, I will just post it here instead of the first post
    DO NOT:
    - expect to be entitled to hacks for anything, just because you know that they exist. None of us are entitled to anything that we did not make or work for ourselves.
    - expect everything that works on Wii to work on Wii U, they are two different machines, so of course they are not the same :P They work differently, so of course some things may not work the same as on a Wii.
    pwsincd, FISHERMAN, petspeed and 3 others like this.

Ray Lewis New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Nobody gets great sarcasm? Lol. See how easy people jump to conclusions?

Nurio That Kirby fan

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    If nobody gets your "great sarcasm", chances are it's you who's doing something wrong in conveying said sarcasm.
    air2004 and Pattonfiend67 like this.
    • Newcomer

mike smitherine New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Just 3 Questions:
    1. after homebrew channel install, and successfully running wiiflow from HBC, is it safe to install wiiflow channel?
    2. can I leave the usb stick in the wiiU when operating in wiiU mode?
    3. I already have an external drive with wiiU content installed, can I use that same drive to install wii games through wii flow, or do I have to switch drives each time depending on what mode I am in?
    • Newcomer

n1ckn4m3 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Once you have the .txt file you need to make a .gct from active codes. You can do this using the Ocarina utility for PC or for Wii, or USBLoader GX has the functionality for downloading codes and making a .GCT file built in. Just enable Ocarina from the menu. I'm not certain if WiiFlow has a built in downloader and GCT manager, since I use USBLoader GX.

Once you have the .GCT files, they go into sd:/codes
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    1. after homebrew channel install, and successfully running wiiflow from HBC, is it safe to install wiiflow channel?
    Yes, be sure that it's a vWii forwarder, not the regular Wii forwarder.

2. can I leave the usb stick in the wiiU when operating in wiiU mode?
    You can leave it, but you will be asked to format it each time you launch WiiU Mode. just select Cancel. Maybe you won't be prompted to format it because:
    - You already have a WiiU formated HDD connected (not sure if it helps?)
    - Your drive is not compatible with WiiU, so it will not detect it. But it will work fine in vWii mode. vWii Mode ignores WiiU formated drives.

3. I already have an external drive with wiiU content installed, can I use that same drive to install wii games through wii flow, or do I have to switch drives each time depending on what mode I am in?
    You can't use WiiU formated drives for anything else.
    The drive is formated completly in a proprietary and encrypted format. You can't make partitions on that drive. It's a dedicated drive for WiiU mode.
    You have to switch drives depending the mode you want to use, of with some chance you can find a device not compatible with WiiU mode and keep both connected at the same time.

Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

Message Count:
    United States
    So... is there a guide detailing the exact steps to mod the vWii?
    And a question, is it safe to install emulators, like for the NES and SNES? :3

pwsincd Garage Flower

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    There are a few attempts at a guide , asper's here for example , i wouldnt just jump in and follow a guide blindly though , take your time to read the thread , and understand whats happening first.

Emulators are fine.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    If you only want emulators, install the homebrew channel only, and place the homebrew in your /apps/ folder like you did on Wii.
    You don't need the custom IOS steps at all. (these are for Wii's backup loaders only).

There's a second guide too (but only covering the patched IOS installation, in case you need it after installing HBC)
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

Both guides are covering this steps (they are almost identical) , choose the one you prefer.

SPONSORED LINKS