Hacking Basic Do's and Do NOT's of vWii modding

coolmario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this may have been answered before, but I am considering installing Homebrew channel to the Wii u. I want to know if it is still safe to update the wii u after installing the HBC on vWii.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, it's safe.
The vWii side is not affected by WiiU system version.
But attention, WiiU side IS affected by vWii hack, if you brick your vWii then you can't update your WiiU anymore.

be careful what you do in vWii, be sure to understand the first post of this thread.

Reactions: coolmario

coolmario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, it's safe.
The vWii side is not affected by WiiU system version.
But attention, WiiU side IS affected by vWii hack, if you brick your vWii then you can't update your WiiU anymore.

be careful what you do in vWii, be sure to understand the first post of this thread.
I'm not interested in modifying the ios and what not, I just want the homebrew channel so I can run Nintendon't. So no risk in that area, right?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, that's good.
just install the homebrew channel and you are fine with all homebrew. it's safe to install HBC only.

cIOS are only needed for wii backups over usb.

rafalince

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Kernel exploit is being released for 5.3.2. So stay there if you want it

Thanks, but when i bought my Wii U it come with 5.4.0, Now it wish to install a new version 5.5.0, what you recomend ? I install 5.5.0 or stay on 5.4.0 ? Have chances to downgrade in a future to 5.3.2 ? I already have the homebrew on VWii mode installed. I wanna access the E-Shop to buy dlcs.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, but when i bought my Wii U it come with 5.4.0, Now it wish to install a new version 5.5.0, what you recomend ? I install 5.5.0 or stay on 5.4.0 ? Have chances to downgrade in a future to 5.3.2 ? I already have the homebrew on VWii mode installed. I wanna access the E-Shop to buy dlcs.
5.4 has unreleased kernel and unreleased websploit. So of you stay it might be released once it gets patched
5.5 has neither, but they have one more kernel exploit that Won't released for a while.

Your choice

Sli 41

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How dangerous is it to install a channel forwarder for wiiflow? It would definitely be a lot more convenient, but I can live without it if it's beyond a certain threshold of dangerousness. :P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Installing channels is never risk free, for example : power cut while installing !
or you install a channel with an untested banner animation or downloaded from obscure sharing websites.

Wiiflow channel is well known as being a clean and working one, so it's fine. I don't know if there's a channel installer for vWii, but there's probably a converted WAD from Wii to vWii.
just be sure it's the one for vWii, or else it will not boot.

Sli 41

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah the guide I was following has a link to an official channel installer, I'm going to use that. And yes I was incredibly tense during the whole process because power cuts are not uncommon here lol.

Aussielad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, basic question. If I soft mod my Wii U, and its on 5.3.2, does that mean I cannot download games from the eshop? And if so, if I try to download games before soft modding my Wii U, will that auto update my firmware? The reason being, I have just bought a console that is 5.3.2, and I haven't soft modded it yet. I see there are rumours of a HD twilight princess, and I would like to get a copy when it comes out, but if I download it and it auto updates the firmware... then I am stuffed for the time being? Its ok if I can't download from eShop. I would be fine with lower resolution versions of games, but if the rumors are true, I would love HD Zelda...

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, basic question. If I soft mod my Wii U, and its on 5.3.2, does that mean I cannot download games from the eshop? And if so, if I try to download games before soft modding my Wii U, will that auto update my firmware? The reason being, I have just bought a console that is 5.3.2, and I haven't soft modded it yet. I see there are rumours of a HD twilight princess, and I would like to get a copy when it comes out, but if I download it and it auto updates the firmware... then I am stuffed for the time being? Its ok if I can't download from eShop. I would be fine with lower resolution versions of games, but if the rumors are true, I would love HD Zelda...
Yes, Yes and Yes

Reactions: Aussielad

Aussielad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, Yes and Yes
Thank you for your response. Ive been doing some reading trying to prevent asking questions that have already been asked several times, but I find the search engine returns a lot of unrelated posts to sift through. And after reading several threads, without having yet installed any homebrew on my system, it can be a bit confusing as to the basics I need.

Essentially all I want to do is install my wii games to a external hdd to be easily accessable, and at the same time download additional DLC. I thought for a while that I would have to avoid online play (don't really care about this), avoid buying games/DLC from eShop (what I would like to be able to do), and constantly running the gambit of playing a game by disc that wants to install firmware updates (not sure if these are always prompted, or whether they install by stealth)

Ive just come across the concept of firmware spoofing. So can I stay at 5.3.2, spoof to whatever the latest version of firmware is, and then download from eShop without updating my firmware in the process? Ordinarily I don't download much online content, but the thought of HD twilight princess and other future HD conversions makes me want to consider my options (assuming they don't release it on disc if it ever turns out to be true)...

Last edited by Aussielad,

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for your response. Ive been doing some reading trying to prevent asking questions that have already been asked several times, but I find the search engine returns a lot of unrelated posts to sift through. And after reading several threads, without having yet installed any homebrew on my system, it can be a bit confusing as to the basics I need.

Essentially all I want to do is install my wii games to a external hdd to be easily accessable, and at the same time download additional DLC. I thought for a while that I would have to avoid online play (don't really care about this), avoid buying games/DLC from eShop (what I would like to be able to do), and constantly running the gambit of playing a game by disc that wants to install firmware updates (not sure if these are always prompted, or whether they install by stealth)

Ive just come across the concept of firmware spoofing. So can I stay at 5.3.2, spoof to whatever the latest version of firmware is, and then download from eShop without updating my firmware in the process? Ordinarily I don't download much online content, but the thought of HD twilight princess and other future HD conversions makes me want to consider my options (assuming they don't release it on disc if it ever turns out to be true)...
Wii U Guides
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-loadiine-for-noobies.398844/page-2#post-5715792
http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.396828/

vWii Guides
http://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

You can spoof to 5.5 and use the eshop using the eshop spoofer. However either today or tomorrow, Nintendo are doing major server updates to every console. We dont know if this will affect anything, so if you want to download something, do it as quickly as possible

Xen0

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't want to open a seperate thread, so I'm just asking here:
Is it somehow possible to destroy my Wii U when I mess up with vWii? I don't care much if vWii is messed up at all but I want my Wii U to be fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.