Hacking Baka & Test Portable - English Translation Project

sh4d0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I can't give any updates on the translation but I can give an update on my hacking progress. So far I have fixed all the issues I found in the game including all the game board alignment issues. There are still a few issues I need to fix with my tools but things are looking good.

Here a few a screenshots to show off the progress (Please ignore the japanese text as I am using an old build).
View attachment 37426 View attachment 37427 View attachment 37428 View attachment 37429 View attachment 37430 View attachment 37431

Looks awesome!!!! Any pre-release?!

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know updates have been sparse, so here's a rundown of what's been going on:

CompCom finished up his tools and sent them my way, so now I can edit the EBOOT text and the character/stage descriptions at will. I've worked a bit on some of the more challenging graphics, which required me to essentially recreate them from scratch, such as this card graphic:
1163.png 1163.png

I also wanted to address a particular issue that arises in the character selection screen in Story Mode. Upon highlighting a character, they give a little line of audio-only dialogue that gives a bit of background into their motives in the story. The thing is, since there is no text associated with these lines, English speakers will be missing out on this first exposure, unless the audio is dubbed over. Since the mere idea of that is far away from what we can do now, I thought that I could add the line beneath the character's name. What do you all think?
NPJH50680_00018.png NPJH50680_00017.png

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NPJH50680_00081.png

This somewhat obscure prompt only appears when you run out of money, but have to pay someone for landing on their space. Some of the text was far too long to fit in that space, so I used some abbreviations (using the first letter of the first word of two word phrases). In this example, the space "Decorative Plants" was shortened to "D. Plants." Do you guys think I should keep it like this, or change it to simply "Plants" throughout?

This screen isn't very common, so it's not something that would be worth an asm hack. I just wanted to know if you all have any strong opinions one way or another.

Last edited by FShadow,
Reactions: kagekyo

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I saw "D. Plants" I immediately thought "desk plant," even if that doesn't make any sense. (Are desk plants a thing?) Maybe it's because desk is right next to it.
For that reason I would go with just plants.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I see exactly what you mean. Granted, the player will (in theory) already know which spaces they own, but for consistency's sake, I'll probably end up changing them to be more concise, like this:
  • Decorative Plants ➞ Plants
  • Water Cooler ➞ Cooler
  • Teacher's Desk ➞ Podium
  • Cleaning Supplies ➞ ??? (Not sure what to change this to. Two of the classes have brooms, and three of them have vacuums. Any suggestions for a term that would cover both brooms and vacuums?)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME THIS WAS A GAME?!?!? Seriously Baka and Test is my favorite anime with some serious Waifu material, I needed a game for this years ago! I don't care what level this translation is at, I am taking it!

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I see exactly what you mean. Granted, the player will (in theory) already know which spaces they own,
If that's the case, then I don't think there's a need to change anything. If I knew I had a "decorative plants," that's what I'd think of seeing "D. Plants".

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As has been stated before, there will be no release until the project is complete. I cannot give any estimates, but don't expect anything soon.

A little bit of fun stuff today. During the prologue, the principal gives an explanation of the game's mechanics. This is presented in the form of a movie that scrolls up the screen comically fast, not allowing any of the characters (except one) to read it. This scene can be viewed here. Although actually translating this explanation is low on my priority list, I got a bit bored, so I decided to explore this for a while.

The explanation is a video stored in the file MOV_PR.pmf (Movie_Prologue probably). As some of you may know, pmf is Sony's proprietary video format, so I couldn't rip it directly. I recorded the scene in PPSSPP using fraps, and exported certain frames using Sony Vegas. I opened them up in GIMP, merged them together, and tada:
Full Explanation - Merged.png

This is a legitimate, in-depth explanation, and is never fully explained anywhere else in the game. And, since I don't have a copy of the game's manual, I'm not sure if this text is simply copied from there. In any case, I'd love to eventually get this translated and inserted, but it'll be a long time before I can do that. In the meantime, if anyone has the willpower and skill to translate this behemoth, I'd love for you to help us out.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with more screenshots and info as I progress, so keep an eye out!

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep! Thanks to CompCom's elite hacking skills, all of the major issues encountered up to this point have been fixed. Now, it's mostly just a matter of revising the scripts, inserting them, and reformatting them. There are a few more graphics I need to work on, and a good bit of board game dialogue that needs to be translated, but it's nothing I can't do.

Revising and checking the scripts is what takes the most time, since I have to triple-check every line, make sure nothing has been mistranslated, and that no jokes or references have been missed. Then, I need to essentially rewrite everything to make sure it flows naturally, that characters' dialogue is consistent with their manner of speech, and makes sense. It's not too hard, but it is a lengthy process. At the moment, I'm still in the middle of revising the prologue, since it's pretty lengthy.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An alternative to cleaning supplies could be Cln Supply or Cl Supplies or just Cleaning (I think Cleaning sounds best). A single letter shortening never really does too well compared to a two or three letter shortening like a lot of games do. It should be as accessible as possible for the player, even if they would already know what the tile is. At the very least it should be two letters since a single D, like in D. Plants doesn't really hint at whatever it could possibly mean. Dc Plant or Dec Plants Although Plants works just fine and gives the same idea that it's a plant tile.

Also Podium is probably the best replacement for the Teacher's Desk since it fits for what it is, and it's a lot harder to shorten Teacher's Desk. The full length version could be Teacher's Podium if you want to keep the Teacher part of the original.

I think going for a single word replacement instead of abbreviating the first word would look both cleaner and keep things more consistent across that menu, and I've always kind of disliked word abbreviations that just cut out letters, especially in older games.

sh4d0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I do have a question. Right now i'm trying to translate a PSP game and I was wondering, how do you guys know which file has that part of dialogue during game?
Let me explain: You are playing the game and after finishing 3-4 quests, a new dialogue shows up in Japanese. How do you manage finding out in which file that dialogue is written so that you can translate it?! Do you open the game in emulator and while playing it you Debug it and see which files are called or what?! Thank you!

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has come up a couple times, and it took me a while to figure it out myself. I found that the program XSearch is exactly what I needed. Assuming that you have all of the scripts extracted, you can search for words or phrases within all files in a directory. The program supports Unicode and UTF8, but if your game requires a table, you can search using hexadecimal values. I've used it and it works great.

sh4d0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
This has come up a couple times, and it took me a while to figure it out myself. I found that the program XSearch is exactly what I needed. Assuming that you have all of the scripts extracted, you can search for words or phrases within all files in a directory. The program supports Unicode and UTF8, but if your game requires a table, you can search using hexadecimal values. I've used it and it works great.
Yeah i do have all of them extracted but still they need to be decompiled one by one :/ You know any tool that decompiles all the files in a folder? (from type: file they become: .data )

Last edited by sh4d0w,

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, games differ radically in the way they store their files. Many games use proprietary formats, so you usually have to figure that stuff out on a game-by-game basis.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This patch is almost definitely not going to be released in the next month. There is still quite a bit left to do, especially in the editing/revising/localizing areas. Dialogue spoken by characters during the board game sections is mostly untranslated, and I need another translator to help translate this. I have a complete dump of the text, and all text can be inserted with relative ease. If anyone can help out, please let me know. This patch is coming along nicely, but these sections need to be finished before I release it.

Reactions: kagekyo and sh4d0w

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte