Hacking Baka & Test Portable - English Translation Project

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for everything. I never realized that this thing was so complicated. Luckily, CompCom contacted me recently for the first time in a while after seeing my recent posts with news that he had written an asm routine to fix this issue. So, for now, this issue has been resolved, and the project can continue forward. Thanks for the time you've spent on this; it really means a lot.

No problem, glad it's been sorted, I assume it took a while.
It'll be great to see it in action on the final patch.

CompCom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been busy with real world stuff for a few months now but have finally been able to get back into this stuff and I just wanted to update people on my progress with ASM hacking. Currently I have written up a variable width font routine which can fill the entire line bypassing the previous character limit. I have briefly tested it and it does appear to work on both ppsspp and a real psp. The only bug remaining is one with the Backlog text (not related to the vwf) and hopefully I will have that solved in the next couple of days.
NPJH50680_00003.jpg

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Awesome an update!
Is there a overall percentage of translated content?
Also how are you guys planning on doing this game.
Are you going to translate inages first or text first?
Im just curious because I've seen different projects take different approaches to translations. Does this game have a lot of images which need translating or are there few

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is relatively small, compared to other games. It does have a number of images, but most of the important ones have been translated and re-inserted (menus, namely). There are still a few more images left, but the bulk of the project lies within the text. I can give a rough estimate that 12.10% of the game's scripts are translated so far, but there's also quite a number of other strings within the game's EBOOT.bin that need attention, as well. Unfortunately, EBOOT text is more difficult to edit, due to space limitations.

On another related note, translation progress has slowed; our translators are involved with their jobs in real life, and as such, have less time to devote to our little project. Hopefully, with time, though, progress should pick up. If another skilled translator were to offer us help in the meantime, we could speed up our production exponentially.

In any case, I think I've dragged on quite enough for now, but expect updates soon. As soon as CompCom has ironed out the bugs in his asm hacks, I shall provide a plethora of screenshots of our updated script in-game, maybe even a full video.

Franx

Trophies
XP
Country
Please you have to finish this patch. I would like to help but i don't know anything about patching, but please finish it i would love to play this in English

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things have happened recently. CompCom hooked me up with his variable-width font hack. I inserted Tamekichi's translation into the game. I made a few minor revisions to the script. I wrote a better program to update the new script files' offsets. Things are looking pretty good.

NPJH50680_00102_zpsox2e6i3s.png

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to disappoint everyone who's been following this project, but I have some terrible news. Unfortunately, due to a recent series of events involving programming and a swimming pool, my laptop, which I've been storing a majority of the project's files, has been destroyed. In addition, my Google account was hacked, and all of my documents, including the translation files, were deleted. Frustrated by the incredible loss of progress, both of the team's translators have quit. Things are not looking good.

Unfortunately, without a computer, and without team members, I'm afraid that this project may be forced to die. I've been working on this project for almost half a year, and it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for everyone's support up to this point. Maybe sometime in the future when I have the time, and my morale has been built back up, I may consider taking up this project again, starting again from scratch. For now, though, I feel extremely demoralized, and would like to extend my most sincere apologies to everyone in the community. I feel like I've let you guys down, and I'd like everyone to know that your support is extremely appreciated.

On a brighter note, I've decided to work on the Baka & Test Gameboy game. It's much easier to work with, and I can see this project being finished in a matter of months. Here's a screenshot:
BAKA TEST GB.png

Anyway, I look forward to moving onward in my life, and hopefully this new project can make things a bit less disappointing. You'll still be getting Baka & Test, but it'll be just a bit older-looking. Anyway, thanks for sticking with me everyone. Let's look to the future with our heads held high.

Reactions: kagekyo and Hargrun

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Please tell us your just April fooling us please

Noo no noooo I refuse to believe that between march 25th and today such bad things have happened
And on April fools day too
I refuse to accept this

And how can you be working on the game boy version without a computer???

And I just checked and no ganeboy version exists plus ganeboy was extinct when baka came out

Happy April fools

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you got me. My computer is fine, no files have been deleted, and our translators haven't left. To be honest, I kinda took the idea of a Gameboy version from the Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku translation's joke 3 years ago. It was a fun idea, and I tried to make it somewhat believable, but silly at the same time.

Anyway, real progress has been made recently, and I've started inserting the translation for Akihisa's Story, and I'm starting to push the limits of the available space. I hope that I won't have to cut down the script; it's looking pretty nice as it is, and I'd hate to have to sacrifice translation quality to have it fit in the available space. In any case, things are looking pretty good, and I shall post updates as more progress comes along.

Arvee100smart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry to disappoint everyone who's been following this project, but I have some terrible news. Unfortunately, due to a recent series of events involving programming and a swimming pool, my laptop, which I've been storing a majority of the project's files, has been destroyed. In addition, my Google account was hacked, and all of my documents, including the translation files, were deleted. Frustrated by the incredible loss of progress, both of the team's translators have quit. Things are not looking good.

Unfortunately, without a computer, and without team members, I'm afraid that this project may be forced to die. I've been working on this project for almost half a year, and it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for everyone's support up to this point. Maybe sometime in the future when I have the time, and my morale has been built back up, I may consider taking up this project again, starting again from scratch. For now, though, I feel extremely demoralized, and would like to extend my most sincere apologies to everyone in the community. I feel like I've let you guys down, and I'd like everyone to know that your support is extremely appreciated.

On a brighter note, I've decided to work on the Baka & Test Gameboy game. It's much easier to work with, and I can see this project being finished in a matter of months. Here's a screenshot:
View attachment 17688
Anyway, I look forward to moving onward in my life, and hopefully this new project can make things a bit less disappointing. You'll still be getting Baka & Test, but it'll be just a bit older-looking. Anyway, thanks for sticking with me everyone. Let's look to the future with our heads held high.

Damn! You got me! XD I totally thought that was true, I mean, look at those words; hardly tells me it's a liee, specially how the GBA thing was done.

Welp, if everything's fine, then fine \o/ haha.

Reactions: Hargrun

CompCom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a new update on the ASM hacking front. I have been playing around with the code and I changed the font rendering function for the character select screen to load the character description texture from a file which allows the description to look a lot like the mockup that FShadow posted earlier in this thread. This also lets the description contain more characters than the game can render.

The image below is a screenshot taken in-game (from a real psp) it still needs a bit of work as the pallete only offers 16 colours but it's progress.
pic_0000.png

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! I'd been worried about this issue for quite a while, but this is leaps and bounds above what I could've imagined possible. Truly, we must celebrate by praising Lord CompCom for his wonderful contributions to this project.

In all seriousness, though, I think that this image captures the progress that this project has made, and none of it would be possible without the help I've received from CompCom, Tamekichi, and all the other members who have helped since the project was first conceived. I'm going to keep on working hard to make sure that this project eventually gets to see a full release.

On a somewhat related note, I as the opinion of you all:
In the image in CompCom's post, Akihisa's name is written 吉井 明久 with his name written in Roman characters below. Should I keep it as-is, or change it to be closer to this mockup I posted earlier in the thread, with the Japanese removed?
akihisa_desc_mockup_zps6e7670f2.png

Let me know what you all think!

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Looks more stylish with the Roman characters below. (I would say more "stylish aAaAnd professional", but in an official localization they would most likely remove anything in Japanese and even change names completely to terrible stuff so...)

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...but in an official localization they would most likely remove anything in Japanese and even change names completely...)

Our translation will now use English names for every character. Akihisa Yoshii is now Blake Wellington, Kouta Tsuchiya is now Casey Adobe, and Hideyoshi Kinoshita is now Jethro Underwood. You're welcome.

Yeah, not really. I'd planned to make some fake screenshots with English names for April Fool's, but never got around to it. Oh well...

D9sinc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello been looking at this game for about 2 years now (I might be wrong) and decided that now was the appropriate time to go looking for an English patch for the game and i came across this post. (top one in Google man made my life easier) then I saw this project and I got to say this is really awesome. Idk if there will be any patches out or if normal people (like myself) will have to wait until the projects completion to see a patch, but if it's the latter I hope it doesn't end like the Digimon World (I forgot which version, but it was one of the newer ones for the DS) patch where it hasn't seen any activity or updates for months it seems (though I could be wrong and maybe in the last week they have added a major update or so to it.) either way I wish you and your team luck. Thank you for this been super hyped to play this since I heard that it existed and wouldn't be brought to the East (insert sad face)

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm always glad to see someone who's looking forward to this. At the moment, I currently have no plans to release any patches until the translation is complete.

Unfortunately, when I previously released a partial patch for another project of mine, an older version of the patch was widely distributed despite me making many important updates and fixes. It was kind of disappointing knowing that so many people wouldn't even know of the work I put in to release a more complete product.

That said, I understand what you mean; I've looked forward to quite a number of other projects that died after so much progress was made, but never released any of their work. As such, I've decided that if, for any reason, I am no longer able to work on this project in the future, I will release all of the work done up to that point to anybody seriously willing to continue the project and see it through to completion. But, let's hope it doesn't have to come to that.

I apologize for the lack of updates, but Tamekichi has been busy with real life, so there's not too much new progress on the translation side. I myself have been pretty busy with school and other obligations, so I haven't been able to commit much time to the project this past month or so. Hopefully, I'll be able to work more on the project after exams are over in May, and we shall see updates then.

Reactions: kagekyo and D9sinc

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Our translation will now use English names for every character. Akihisa Yoshii is now Blake Wellington, Kouta Tsuchiya is now Casey Adobe, and Hideyoshi Kinoshita is now Jethro Underwood. You're welcome.

Yeah, not really. I'd planned to make some fake screenshots with English names for April Fool's, but never got around to it. Oh well...

I kinda dislike that. If someone's named John then it should stay John. "Translating" names is pointless + fan of the series are gonna be like " Who's Blake?" Is there gonna be a non-localized names translation?

Reactions: kagekyo

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone didn't get the joke. Did you check the spoiler? We're not really translating names; I had thought about using that as an April Fool's joke, but missed my chance. I apologize for the confusion.

(People really shouldn't take me that seriously, though)

EDIT: I did forget to mention though, that, since this project will be going for an official-looking product, some character dialog has been/will be changed to match what was in/would be expected of the official English dub, for the sake of understanding. For example, Tetsujin will be called Ironman, Miharu Shimizu will refer to Minami Shimada using cute pet names (e.g. snuggle-bunny, cuddle-muffin, etc.) as opposed to using Onee-sama. I apologize to any japanophiles fans who would've preferred the raw translation, but it is a decision that I shall not go back on. (Also because honorifics and stuff take up too much line space)

Reactions: kagekyo

Arvee100smart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome! I'd been worried about this issue for quite a while, but this is leaps and bounds above what I could've imagined possible. Truly, we must celebrate by praising Lord CompCom for his wonderful contributions to this project.

In all seriousness, though, I think that this image captures the progress that this project has made, and none of it would be possible without the help I've received from CompCom, Tamekichi, and all the other members who have helped since the project was first conceived. I'm going to keep on working hard to make sure that this project eventually gets to see a full release.

On a somewhat related note, I as the opinion of you all:
In the image in CompCom's post, Akihisa's name is written 吉井 明久 with his name written in Roman characters below. Should I keep it as-is, or change it to be closer to this mockup I posted earlier in the thread, with the Japanese removed?
akihisa_desc_mockup_zps6e7670f2.png

Let me know what you all think!

Though the image above looks nice, well, I kinda liked the 吉井 明久 thing more since the spacing here is really balanced. Er.. just saying.
I'm fine whatever the final touches looks like. It's not like it'll affect the gameplay anyway \o/.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended