Hacking Bad WADs can brick your Wii. Is it safe to install WAD manager though?

Have a WAD Manager installation ever bricked a WII that you know of?

• Yes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

ibrickedmypsp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys,

I just modded my first Nintendo Wii. I installed the homebrew channel together with the usb gx loader (that I like very much btw). Now I want to install a WAD manager to install the forwarder that will place the loader directly on the home screen. Only thing is, I tried to backup my NAND with BootMii, but verification fails at the end, so I don't know if I could un-brick my console in the case things would go bad, and I don't want to risk a brick just not to push a button more. Also, it fails because something is wrong on the old hardware: I get like 4 bad blocks (should be normal) + 4 uncorrectable pages (not so normal), don't know if this means I should be more cautious than normal, but either way...

My question is,
Can a WAD manager installation brick your console? Does it write directly to the flash? (As I understand, those should be the dangerous operations)
I suppose the USB GX loader forwarder is safe to install too, right?

Also, if you have any advice on how to backup my NAND and overcame the verification failure, it would be much appreciated.

Note: Sorry if I'm making dumb statement. As I said this is my first mod attempt.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MMM has been reliable for me so far. Just stick to WADs that are well tested for Wii (ones well tested on vWii or Dolphin doesn't necessarily mean it will work properly on Wii). The Forwarder on USB Loaders GX's GoogleCode page should be fine.

ibrickedmypsp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
MMM has been reliable for me so far. Just stick to WADs that are well tested for Wii (ones well tested on vWii or Dolphin doesn't necessarily mean it will work properly on Wii). The Forwarder on USB Loaders GX's GoogleCode page should be fine.

Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post (just edited it), but the main question was: Is the WAD manager (not WADs) installation a dangerous operation? Can it brick my console?

Basically, I'd like to know if bad things happening during a WAD manager installation could be easily reversed or not.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post (just edited it), but the main question was: Is the WAD manager (not WADs) installation a dangerous operation? Can it brick my console?

Basically, I'd like to know if bad things happening during a WAD manager installation could be easily reversed or not.

I was recommending you use MMM (Multi-Mod Manager) instead. It's more up to date and doesn't seem to have as many issues with certain WADs. WAD Manager was great, but it hasn't been maintained in a while.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Installing a wad manager (or any other HBC compatible homebrew app) is as simple as copy a few files in its own folder under sd:\apps or USB:\apps just like how usbloadergx should be installed. The process is riskless and you don't even need your Wii to do it.
If you need to run an installer on Wii to install an app, then you are overly complicating things.

yes, it says 466
Trophies
Website
466frfx.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don't need to 'install' WAD Managers. You just need to extract the zip file of a homebrew app into your apps folder.

Instructions to get WAD Manager (YAWMM):

1 - Go to https://d81d109c-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites...k0tNGC5AtnQjxH99APjCXtcphz&attredirects=0&d=1

2 - Open the zip file. You should see a YAWMM_EN folder. Open that and make sure the following files are in it:

boot.elf
boot.dol
icon.png
meta.xml

3 - Copy the folder to your apps folder on your SD card.

You now have WAD Manager (YAWMM) on your Homebrew Channel. Completely safe to download.

ibrickedmypsp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need to 'install' WAD Managers. You just need to extract the zip file of a homebrew app into your apps folder.

Instructions to get WAD Manager (YAWMM):

1 - Go to https://d81d109c-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites...k0tNGC5AtnQjxH99APjCXtcphz&attredirects=0&d=1

2 - Open the zip file. You should see a YAWMM_EN folder. Open that and make sure the following files are in it:

boot.elf
boot.dol
icon.png
meta.xml

3 - Copy the folder to your apps folder on your SD card.

You now have WAD Manager (YAWMM) on your Homebrew Channel. Completely safe to download.

Thank you, I think I want to install the USB GX Loader forwarder with this manager.
The only thing I need to know now is, if I want to run the games from the HD, should the wad folder with the forwarder wad be in the USB HD or the SD?
USB GX Loader is in the HD.

ibrickedmypsp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was recommending you use MMM (Multi-Mod Manager) instead. It's more up to date and doesn't seem to have as many issues with certain WADs. WAD Manager was great, but it hasn't been maintained in a while.

Sorry I didn't understand.
Is MMM better than YAWMM and as easy to install (just copy/paste on the SD)?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to use YAWMM, but it had troubles installing some of my VC WADs. MMM didn't have problems with them. That's my only complaint. If one does everything you need, then just keep using it. If you have troubles then try the other.

They're both easy to install.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wad manager is an app that runs from a usb device or sd card, you don't need to install a wad manager. Just make sure you are getting your wads from a reputable source. The only time I ever bricked is from wads I made myself.

You really should have a look at why you couldn't create a bootmii backup, a backup could come in real handy in case of a brick. If you cant figure that out then at least make sure you have priiloader installed, just in case you banner brick or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun