Hacking "Back in the Scene"... and Wanting to Normalize an old Wii

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there guys, how it's is going? It's been a long, long time since my last activity here.

I've had my Wii since launch date (initial white one) that I've been actively using and hacking until 2012 and then it went in a drawer... until know!

I'm pretty much OCD and it's been so long since I used it that I would really like to clean it up from the things that I've done in the past (such as deleting unneeded IOS, Weather Channel, etc.), to put it in a "pristine" state and THEN hack it again with minimal interference (i.e., without touching anything that's not necessary) and start all over; as if it was a new, freshly hacked Wii.

To sum it up, I've left it in 2012 with the System Menu 4.1 version, deleted several stubbed and unneeded IOS with AnyTitle, did some patches with StartPatch, installed cIOS for USB Loader GX; of course I had the Homebrew Channel and, most importantly, I have Bootmii installed as boot2 with a valid NAND backup from those days.

So... fast forward to today, what I would like to do (just for the sake of it) is to update the System Menu to 4.3; hoping that it would reinstall every IOS I deleted and delete every IOS I installed, and then hack it with LetterBomb.

There's a couple of things that I'm thinking on so:

1) Should I directly update the firmware from the Wii Menu itself, via wireless and Nintendo servers? Would that achieve what I wrote above? (a factory-clean-state Wii to work on). Or should I update in some other way? I've read that updating via Nintendo would overwrite boot2 at the time, but since boot1 can't be patched, I'd be able to reinstall bootmii as boot2 aftewards. Is that correct?

2) Just writing to myself for future reference (:)), I remember from 2012 that I'd have to remove the applied patches from StartPatch before updating, so they don't screw up the NAND.

3) After this update to 4.3 is done; again for the sake of it, I'd format the System Menu (to clear all previous "Activity Log" - or whatever was called back then, that kept track of games played) and start fresh.

4) I'd install HackMii, The Homebrew Channel and BootMii as boot2 with the LetterBomb hack. Then install the needed cIOS for USB Loader GX and some updated apps (that I haven't even searched yet) to install/delete IOS, Wad installers and such.

In conclusion, can you help me out pointing me if I'm missing something here, if something would go wrong following this procedure and if this will actually achieve what I want to do: to get a fresh Nintendo Wii without any of the crap from the past and without a locked boot2, so I could install BootMii there and follow along?

Thanks greatly in advance and I hope I explained myself well for you to understand me. Please let me know what you think!

Regards. :bow:

PS: I still have to apply the exact same procedure to my PlayStation Portable and PlayStation 3, but I won't bother you with that here. :rofl2:

Last edited by Dan_Aykroyd,

raspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well... when you installed bootmii as boot2 did you backup your nand and keys? If you did then you "can" virginize your Wii and then do whatever you want with it from scratch. This is what I did 3 days ago because I was in the same boat as you. Later, I just use letterbomb to install the homebrew channel, bootmii as IOS then priiloader, hermes IOS and cIOS d2x v10, etc.. and a syscheck shows (see below):

Option 1: To virginize my Wii, I removed priiloader, remove mymenuify custom system menu, save any game saves (optional) and first attempt a "wii system update"

Option 2: Google search "Real Wii Re Virginizing Guide - Youtube", uploaded by TheRealBeanJr. Follow the video carefully or else you can brick your wii but if I can do it so can you :)

Option 3: Best option, just re-hack your Wii. Run sysCheck HDE or the version I have below, use it in "ModMii" and it will tell you what you need to get your Wii up-to-date.

Honestly, I haven't been in the Wii scene for years either and it didn't take me long to search, read and recap on most of the things that I use to know. I have been around since WiiKey hardware mods...

sysCheck v2.1.0b19 by Double_A and R2-D2199, Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 2006.09.07
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
HomebrewFilter ist nicht installiert
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: xxxxxxxx
Boot2 v4
Found 64 titles.
Found 49 IOS on this console. 4 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10

Report generated on 2016/09/06.

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your response raspy, you've been very helpful.

Yes, I've backed up my NAND and keys. I've watched that video and it's AWESOME! The Wii starts completely new without any previous crap, restoring all the deleted/modified IOS and with the desired firmware version. Is that the way in which you virginized your Wii?

By the way, I'm also from the modchip days; in fact, mi Wii has a Wiinja soldered inside! :)

Thanks again pal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16