Hacking B9S on 11.4 with Ninjhax

Elrom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi there! This is my first post in the forum. I've been reading for days, trying to learn everything I can :) .
There's something that I can't quite get a definitive answer for.

I have a Sky3DS, and the possibility to use Ninjhax, just by downloading the rom.
I read that you can't install custom firmware on 11.4 with Ninjhax, but if I check https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(alternatives) it says I can, even in 11.4.
First you access the Homebrew Launcher, and below is the link to continue installing B9S.

So, is it possible or not?

Thanks!

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came here to say that you can only hack 11.4 using DSiWare hack or hardmod, but that link you posted seems to indicate otherwise. Now I'm not sure. Where did you find that link at?

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
You can’t install b9s from Homebrew on 11.4.
That’s the same point in the guide that got me confused. That section is actually explaining other alternatives for loading Homebrew launcher, but it should clarify that on 11.4 and above, that’a all you can get to. You cannot continue with installation of boot9strap, since it got patched on 11.4 and you need arm9 access to do that, which you simply don’t have from HBL.

It’s just a case of bad site mapping. You can use that page for launching HBL using alternative hacks, but you cannot go any further than that. Any attempt of installing boot9strap from there on 11.4+ will result in an error.

Last edited by Izeman,
Reactions: CanIHazWarez

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Having homebrew launcher access is not the same is being able to install b9s. b9s can only be installed through hardmod on a 11.4 console

Elrom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ok, this is how I got there:
1) https://3ds.guide/get-started-(new-3ds) then you select Soundhax, the method that only works till 11.3
2) https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax) here, if you scroll down, you can see this message:

"Note that Cart Updates will only deliver updates to core features, such as the System Settings, Home Menu, etc. Cart Updates will not deliver updates to Nintendo 3DS Sound and Network features, such as System Transfer, Internet Browser, StreetPass Mii Plaza, or eShop.

This means that using a Cart Update from a version containing an older Nintendo 3DS Sound version (<7.0.0 for Old 3DSs in the EUR, JPN, KOR, and USA regions) to one that introduced a newer Nintendo 3DS Sound version will break Soundhax! You will need an alternate method of entering the Homebrew Launcher!"

You select Alternate Method, and it takes you to the link that I posted first. I wondered... why is this layed out like this? Why not directly say it? I googled it, and then I found this, posted by the same guy that made the guide:

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/issues/1088

This is what he says, if you don't want to click on the link:

Plailect commented on 21 May
the guide doesn't say you can use Cubic Ninja or OOT (or other entry points) at all.

Huh? Soundhax is recommended on on Homebrew Launcher compatible versions, but in events where soundhax does not work, Homebrew Launcher (Alternatives) is recommended.

You cannot use any alternate entrypoints to Homebrew Launcher <9.0 because homebrew launcher itself does not support <9.0.

arromdee commented on 21 May • edited
I see the link now, although it is somewhat not obvious. In order to get to it, you need to read the note which says you can cart update, then ignore the "Hardmod" text and apply that note instead, then go to another part of the chart which says "Soundhax", realize that you should read the Soundhax page even though you can't use Soundhax, then find the link to alternatives.

Owner
Plailect commented on 22 May
Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. The sheer number of options available in the 3DS's system versions in terms of exploits means that any job of categorizing them into something like a chart is a monolithic task. I don't really see a way to make that easier.

In short, it's not really clear that is not necessary to hardmod. Plailect is kinda saying that the user is right, but there's no other way to lay the information out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, why does explicity say that you need the Homebrew Launcher, with Ninjahax, even on 11.4, and then you need to run everything from the HBL to go to boot9strap? I mean, it's clearly saying that you can do it in 11.4 with Cubic Ninja. It seems that it goes beyond bad site mapping.

Last edited by Elrom,

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
It simply is not necessary to hardmod because you can also use DSIWarehax using system transfer from and already CFW 3DS.

The point is: you can use whatever hax you want to run HBL, according to which version of stock FW you have; but if you do that to then install b9s and not just to run some HB apps or games, you need to be on FW 11.3 or lower, because you can no longer install b9s from HBL on 11.4 and above, whatever hax you are using to run HBL.
It’s not a limitation in the hax to run HBL: with FW 11.4 they patched the exploit that made possible to install boot9strap from HBL.

Reactions: CanIHazWarez

Elrom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, I guess that he left some old info there? With all this talk about not following video guides because they are outdated, I thought that this one didn't have any oversights.
So, could I have bricked my console if I did this? It's kinda dangerous if this points to trying what some page says, but not the other.

I'm asking because where I live, there's still N3DS being sold, and I want to know what could happen if i get one with 11.4.

Thanks for making it more clear.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1