Hacking B9 Pre-Install Questions

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I am thinking about upgrading to B9. Before I upgrade to B9 though, I have a few quick questions:

- How should I backup my SysNAND? What would I use?
- After B9 install, my SysNAND would still be on 11.2 System Firmware. If I update System Firmware, would I lose B9 and Luma? Also, is 11.4 still the latest System Firmware?
- I have a SuperCard DSTwo. Would I still be able to use that with B9/Luma setup?

Help and thoughts appreciated :)

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
you can backup sysnand via FBI, Hourglass9, Godmode9
After B9S you should be on 11.2 (but it is recommended to update), no you can't lose b9s, yes it is still the latest firmware)
it should work. Here I have another question. Why shouldn't it? (I really don't know and don't understand why, someone please explain)

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: Skeet1983

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can backup sysnand via FBI, Hourglass9, Godmode9
After B9S you should be on 11.2 (but it is recommended to update)
it should work. Here I have another question. Why shouldn't it? (I really don't know and don't understand why, someone please explain)

I dunno, I just read another thread, that DS cart functionality is lost? I don't know for sure, that is why I asked. Clarification on this would be appreciated :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ds functionality is only lost if u have a patched twl in ur firmware. this is easily fixable btw just in case u do and don't know it.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I dunno, I just read another thread, that DS cart functionality is lost? I don't know for sure, that is why I asked. Clarification on this would be appreciated :)
I don't know either, and I would like to find out why (if it is true). Sorry, can't help with that, but if you backup your 11.2, you can try it. Otherwise you can go for EmuNAND.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is broken, follow the troubleshooting guid for DS games being broken: https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting

Thanks! I have question about Section 2 of that guide: It says to select "Install and delete all CIAs". What does that do exactly, would it delete all of my freeshop/cia games and such?

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am gonna try the B9 install sometime soon like either tonight or tomorrow. Anyway, I have a few quick questions before going further:

- From what I read, B9 only uses firm files and not the bin payloads. Is there a way to convert the bin files to firm?

- I am confused about steps 17 and 22 of section 4 in B9 guide. I didn't follow an earlier B9 guide and I don't know anything about LayeredFS. What should I do when I get to those steps?

Thoughts and help appreciated :)

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am gonna try the B9 install sometime soon like either tonight or tomorrow. Anyway, I have a few quick questions before going further:

- From what I read, B9 only uses firm files and not the bin payloads. Is there a way to convert the bin files to firm?

- I am confused about steps 17 and 22 of section 4 in B9 guide. I didn't follow an earlier B9 guide and I don't know anything about LayeredFS. What should I do when I get to those steps?

Thoughts and help appreciated :)
1) Decrypt9/Hourglass9/GodMode9 have been updated to support b9s. All you need to do is download the latest release and use the .firms instead of the .bins.
2) If you don't use Luma's layeredfs feature, ignore that part of step 17. For step 22, just follow what it says.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Decrypt9/Hourglass9/GodMode9 have been updated to support b9s. All you need to do is download the latest release and use the .firms instead of the .bins.
2) If you don't use Luma's layeredfs feature, ignore that part of step 17. For step 22, just follow what it says.

So for step 17, I just copy whole luma directory and paste in step 22? I don't have any LayeredFS files or anything, just luma payloads I think...

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For the .firms, where do I put them? Also, does this need to be done before B9 install?

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I know what to do for steps 17 and 22 of section 4 in B9 guide on 3DS Guide site, but don't really understand why I am copying luma folder from one location to another. Guide says I am copying folder from SD to CTR NAND? I know what a NAND is I think, but what is a CTR NAND? I have been reading through the guide lots; thinking about doing the B9 install today, but wanted to understand the process better.

Also, after I update to B9, I was going to use Godmode9 to dump the game cart to cia format. Thing is, the game now has a 1.1 update. After I dump game cart, how would I go about updating it?

Side question: I think I have Luma 7.1.5 or something. For B9 install, should I keep that, or go back to 7.1? How would I go to 7.1 if need be?

Clarification and thoughts appreciated on all of this :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I know what to do for steps 17 and 22 of section 4 in B9 guide on 3DS Guide site, but don't really understand why I am copying luma folder from one location to another. Guide says I am copying folder from SD to CTR NAND? I know what a NAND is I think, but what is a CTR NAND? I have been reading through the guide lots; thinking about doing the B9 install today, but wanted to understand the process better.

Also, after I update to B9, I was going to use Godmode9 to dump the game cart to cia format. Thing is, the game now has a 1.1 update. After I dump game cart, how would I go about updating it?

Side question: I think I have Luma 7.1.5 or something. For B9 install, should I keep that, or go back to 7.1? How would I go to 7.1 if need be?

Clarification and thoughts appreciated on all of this :)
Luma only supports v7.0.5 for a9lh. 7.1+ requires boot9strap. After following the a9lh-to-b9s guide, you will end up with boot9strap v1.2 and Luma v8.0. CTRNAND is for booting your system without the SD card inserted. For the game update, find the update CIA and install it or go to the eShop and download it if the game is in your region. Or use freeShop if freeShop has the update.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma only supports v7.0.5 for a9lh. 7.1+ requires boot9strap. After following the a9lh-to-b9s guide, you will end up with boot9strap v1.2 and Luma v8.0. CTRNAND is for booting your system without the SD card inserted. For the game update, find the update CIA and install it or go to the eShop and download it if the game is in your region. Or use freeShop if freeShop has the update.

Thank you so much for the info and clarification. If I do get update from eshop, would it work with dumped cia version? I was going to dump game cart with Godmode9 after B9 install. Help appreciated :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off