Misc Australian Mario Kart League: Ladder, Fixtures, Results!

• Thread starter armand66
  • Start date
  • Views 28,235
  • Replies 256
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

armand66

OP
Lol, nah, it's not complicated, its actually a lot easier to understand than season 1.

Simple, week 1, i have to race Jerome and Big Chop on MUSHROOM CUP

I also have to race Chaazziiee and Muss on SHELL CUP.

Makes the matches easier to remember track wise, as all you gotta know is the cup your racing, and choose the tracks in order. As long as you don't worry about the other matches, easy stuff.

Cor7ez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Things are looking great here, what with the elim finals and finals coming up, bowser tourney finals, and season 2 is looking real promising, nicely put together!

Also, when do you guys wanna have the bowsers tourney finals? I'm thinking the weekend is probably best, but I can do tonight or Thursday night.

A

armand66

OP
We'll probably do some point this weekend for the Bowsers Playground Tourney FINAL. Best chances of getting everyone together, i'm happy to host a room Sunday night if we can get everyone along then.

ATM we've had two semi finals played, with myself beating Chaazziiee 2-0 in Elimination Final 2, and Jerome beating Beatnik 2-0 in Elimination Final 1.

Tonight Dan played Muss, and despite Muss putting up a fight, Dan came away the Victor in Elimination Final 3, winning 2-1.

Now we wait and see how the final Elimination final, Elimination Final 4 (Elo vs Vertabray) goes.

Elo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
just read first page..

THINGS TO KNOW FOR SEASON 2
ALL games will be played with Basic Kart only

WHAT????? No way that only the basic kart can be used.. i might reconcile with only basic kart+bike..but man, not ONLY kart,thats just plain down unfair...

A

armand66

OP
Unfair?

I don't think so.

Unfair in MK Wii is certain bikes that simply cannot be caught without 2-3 blues to take them out, along with a few reds.

Unfair is NOT making everyone use the same kart to bring the game down to an even level.

Elo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
unfair in the sense that people who have gotten used to using bikes will be at a disadvantage.. i for one havent raced with a kart since i got the game, tried it out at start and hated the loose feeling compared to mk64 so imo people should be allowed to atleast use the base bike

Elo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
cause you could just aswell say everyone has to use a certain char to make it even etc.. and not be allowed to use certain items etc..
then basically the whole "fun and new" part of mkwii gets lost..

A

armand66

OP
That's the way we went with Season 1, and as i've seen the game unfold, it's become very clear that bikes in the game make karts next to useless, while there is a few specific bikes that dominate all others, particularly the road style bikes.

Wheelies are part of what makes MK Wii unbalanced at times, and all it is is an easier way to snake. At least snaking took skill, wheelieing doesn't. Wheelies vs karts second boost are simply not fair. Which has made anyone to want to have a chance have to pick bikes to keep up. The second boosts of karts, simply don't touch wheelies the bikes output.

Beating players by half a lap because they simply cannot keep up i don't find greatly fun either. I've raced Bray, and Muss at times, and sometimes have beaten them by miles, and Bray's done the same to me when i've used a different bike than normal, i would love to know how MK Wii is fun when there is 3-4 corners difference between a racer and his opponent?

You seem to think your the only one affected Elo. I have been using the Phantom since the first time i went online. I use it every race. The basic karts handle very similar to the basic bikes, only, no wheelieing.

Everyone using a basic kart, puts everyone on an even playground, and means your more likely to have games where it can go any way.

I played MK 64 a heap the other night, and i guarantee the karts in that game are ten times looser in feeling than anything in MK Wii. In fact, in MK 64, due to the 2D sprites used on a 3D background, the karts simply feel like your floating, and not driving anything.

vertabray

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Elo

This is a MKW league, not a MKW Bike League

The point of the league is to have fun and use all that MKW offers, Karts being one of those.

Practices. This one will be Kart, next could be Bike but the point is its all about fun.

You mention "fun and new" but it seems you are taking this league quite seriously

Elo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
vertabray said:
Elo

This is a MKW league, not a MKW Bike League

The point of the league is to have fun and use all that MKW offers, Karts being one of those.

You mention "fun and new" but it seems you are taking this league quite seriously

the point of this league is to have fun and use all that mkw offers... yeah,so throwing bikes out seems like a good idea then lol..

it's not so much about me taking it serious..it's about me also wanting to enjoy playing, and as i said, i just can't enjoy playing with the karts as the steering is way pap..why you think most people use the bikes (apart from wheelie..) the steering is much tighter etc..

while I understand the wish to make things more even..i just feel it's a shame youre restricting the new concepts mkwii brough ;/
I wouldnt mind having a single tourney based on karts only/bikes only etc.. but enforcing this rule on the whole league is like imposing regulations on the super 14 that some teams can't use certain players so it becomes more "even"..

another thing is that imo it should have been a point of discussion imposing such a rule, like ask what people think, maybe some1 has a better idea how to even the field etc..

A

armand66

OP
This has come about, after MK Wii being out for nearly a few months and seeing that the "new improvements" MK has brought about, include that Karts are useless if against a Bike, DUE to wheelies.

Wheelies are predominantly why people use bikes, as the basic kart, as well as the Blue Falcon handle very similar to the basic dirt bike, only, slower due to lack of wheelies.

You see, the game is built to benefit the bikes too much. I know this, after being able to walk all over most who choose karts online, it's extremely rare for kart users to beat Bike users too often. To take it further, the few "road bikes" in the game, are even more unbalanced than bikes vs karts. If i race a road bike, in say, the wario bike, unless i am getting reds followed by blues and more reds, i will simply never catch that road bike, just can't be done.

I stand by the fact that the best players will win regardless of what they are using. While there are players who will win based on abusing a system or ruling. It happens in sports, and happens in gaming leagues. A balance issue in the game (if you can't see the balance issue between bikes and karts, or certain bikes, then....) means for most people, the game isn't as fun, because they don't have a chance.

I would still love to know, how on earth, having everyone using the same standard kart is unfair. I am used to using the Phantom, others the Wario Bike, how is me vs them gonna be unfair to either of us?

Elo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
don't get me wrong, as i said, i understand your pov, it's just i don't share it..
imo there shoulda been (still can be) a short tourney trying out this rule and see it in effect first..then let people voice their oppinion before enforcing something like this..im sure im not the only one feeling kinda snubbed about this..

A

armand66

OP
Jerome is the best, proven best player in australia, and in our league at this point. He shrugged it off and said it was time to get used to karts.

He's seen how leagues like this can work, and how they can nuff up. Some leagues run with NO ITEMS at all.

If a player in this league is good enough, he/she will find a way to win regardless of what they are using. If players need a bike to win in this game, shows that they care more about winning the match, than simply racing to have fun, with a win as a side thing.

I've had people already drop season long from the league because they aren't having fun, because they get dominated by anyone using a specific bike. Not just beaten on the last corner, beaten by half a lap. So, i've had to deal season long with people who, if they want to compete, have to use the same bike other are using to stay in the race, while now, i've got a few people sulking because they'll lose a dominant bike they are used to.

I got more things to sort, worry about and deal with than to do this day in, day out. I do this all in my spare time, and i've dealt with this crap for 5+ weeks from all sides.

Elo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
ok,fine, we do it your way..your organizing it so you can do it as you want.. if you say we use karts we use karts.. i'll stop arguing as there's no point to it and we'll see how the next season goes..sorry for me ever saying anything or suggesting we could ask people what they felt like, and then deside on that outcome.. or suggesting having a kart only tourney for people to try it out against eachother....
so,once again just forget I said anything and let's get back to the racing..in karts..
grog.gif

danielduvall

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, i'll chip in here, why not...

I didn't like the idea of karts only at first either, and that's purely because i've been using the same bike since day 1. I like, and am used to the way it handles, that's it. For me to get used to a kart now would be a bit of work, and honestly i don't think i'm going to sit down and go through all the tracks again with a kart to find out which corners i can take at what speeds etc.

But... The whole point of this league is to get some close, competitive, fun mario karting happening, and while that is going for the most part, there are some elements to the game, previously mentioned, that make it quite unbalanced, so i can definitely see the reason for making this change. The karts will provide some more even racing between all players, and that has to be a good thing. Anything that gives me a chance of catching Jerome sounds fine to me! So while i don't think i'll be as competitive in a kart as i was on a bike, i guess the same can be said for most players in the league, so it should balance out.

The only other way to get more even / close races is to have more people in each race. 4-6 players would be ideal, gives people a chance to come back from bad starts or mistakes, keeps the leaders in check with items, but still rewards good racing. Unfortunately, trying to organize this many people for each race is just too hard.

And as for not being consulted about the changes, well, in Armand we trust, and i don't think after all the work he has put into this league so far that it is ok to have a go at him for enforcing rules that will benefit the league as a whole. I do understand what you're saying Elo, but can you imagine putting everything that happens here to a vote ? Jeebus, we'd be here for weeks debating track choices, points systems etc. Armand has done a fantastic job so far, and i respect the decision he makes, so i think the more we can support him in all this the better the league will run.

Finally, I must admit when i first heard of bikes in mario kart i wasn't impressed, it's mario kart ffs. not mario bike, or mario carriage, or whatever other strange ass vehicles they decided to put in there. Yes, i did grow fond of the bikes, but i'll be happy to get back to some old fashioned karting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end