Audio on N Switch and available services

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Alklas, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Alklas
    OP

Alklas Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2018
    France
    Hello,

i've been digging in the audio capacity of the switch, i read the Tegra TX1 official documentation, which is really low-level, and the TX1 has a lot of possibilities in its sound "chipset"
    but in the sub-services available in the Switch OS, under the audio service, are really limited, and i'd like to know if i understand well : as the service only allow to play a sample, does it mean that programmers have to make their own mixer, and so their own library to handle music channels + sounds in games ?

2. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    You should read the sdk docs instead of the TX1 docs.

3. Alklas
    OP

Alklas Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2018
    France
    are you talking about the Nintendo Switch official sdk ?
    i checked the test example for audio available in libtransistor, and it only shows the few audio services listed also on switchbrew.

4. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Official yes.

5. Alklas
    OP

Alklas Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2018
    France
    hello again

seems i am not able to find the official SDK
    anyway, i have another question : services for audio module only lists a few services, am i right when i think that if i want to go deeper in the switch, for example using directly the audio 'chipset', that won't be possible because pegaswitch only allows userland programs ?
    accessing the audio registers must be kernel level ?

6. Ewpb

Ewpb Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2013
    Would compressed audio output have a big effect on the CPU if Nintendo wanted to offer the chance for a user to buy a Dolby Digital license to enable 5.1 audio .

It’s a stupid question I know.