Ataribox Opening For Pre-Orders

shinrukus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't pre-order a system until I AT MINIMUM know whats under the hood... Not to mention, no games have been talked about being in development AND they have not released anything of what this thing actually is, im with the other guy... WHAT am I pre-ordering? I would buy it if I knew what it had to offer, but I still do not... I already have a modded Atari Flashback... and I have multiple machines that can play Jaguar games, including a Jaguar... if this thing can play games from Jag/Jag CD, or be strong enough to emulate Saturn, at a good speed (which my Shield TV can already do btw) then i'd pre-order it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

main-bottom-2-1.png

It playing Terraria does give me a little more hope...

incidentallyscribble

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that the controller that comes with it will not be the 2600 one, look closer at this image:
Screenshot_2017-12-12-19-57-46-1.png

You can tell that there is more than one button... or this is just a stock photo...? Those button colors don't remind me of a specific system though...

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Super Nintendo classic had a lot going for it because of its nice user interface and great selection of games. The Atari 2600.... had some pretty good games, but by today's standards, you better hope they have some good modern ones too
...or sell it for $30. An Atari Classic would've made an AMAZING stocking stuffer at a sub $50 price.

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
That controller - like, the one in the picture just up from here - looks a lot like an XBox 360 controller to me (Maybe One, not such a Microsoft person?), possibly one with a custom skin? If it is, that's sort of good, because it means those controllers are compatible, but sort of bad, because the controller that comes with it could be terrible.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...or sell it for $30. An Atari Classic would've made an AMAZING stocking stuffer at a sub $50 price.

Atari were one of the first to do them, they saturated the market to the point nobody wanted them anymore.

I don't know if this will be a success or not. I don't know if it will be value for money.

But I don't understand the hate.

Last edited by smf,

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
It's hard to believe in something good or even so-so.
In the best case - 300$ tag and rumors about something like "AMD+Radeon" inside - looks like AMD's Ultra-mobile APUs (netbook class hardware). Jaguar chip ( O.o ) or Puma from 2013-2014. Ryzen APU cost more.
But highly doubtful.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Atari were one of the first to do them, they saturated the market to the point nobody wanted them anymore.

I don't know if this will be a success or not. I don't know if it will be value for money.

But I don't understand the hate.
Atari sold full-sized versions that used ancient chips and has questionable quality. All they had to do was shrink it down and put in a cheap ARM chip that guaranteed 1:1 reproduction while upscaling to 1080p, then reannounce that as a new item at a low cost. But instead they are coming out with a full sized device at a higher cost and unknown game library, with Atari game playback seemingly an afterthought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended