Atari 2600 Returns as New Compact Handheld

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by T-hug, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Nope, that's a full fledged console. This is just another random "flashback" handheld.

As to the news, meh. Looks neat, but I'd only buy something like this if it supported actual 2600 cartridges.

2. Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    Seriously? So they are really bringing out something new huh? Oh and i am actually glad this wasnt what that tease was about. (Actually wait a minute that tease showed a pic of the console and yeah your right. How did i get the idea that, this was what that tease was about (facepalm)

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    It's cool and all, but I've personally never been a big 2600 fan. I had one growing up, played it here and there, but it was only for short bursts of time. I might know someone who might want this.

4. Kinqdra

Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    Awww, can't believe this doesn't include Space Invaders :/

Would've been the most amazing christmas present for my dad..
    but who knows, maybe they'll figure out a way to add games like they did with the nes classic..

slaphappygamer likes this.
  5. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Ka-BOOM and keystone capers were my favorites. Sadly, they didn't make the cut. I'll stick to emulating this system on my Psp.

Intragroove and king_leo like this.
  6. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    What's innovative about it?

Ryccardo and DarthDub like this.
  7. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    That joystick! I hope they made it tougher than the original. The thing would break just looking at it. :rofl: Seriously, it didn't take a lot of gameplay to break it. Flimsy plastic pieces inside.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Guess they think that they can top the NES/SNES minis by having something similar, but "even portable"... I'm underwhelmed by this product.

You seem to be not up-to-date with your English. The word "innovation" and its variations dont mean anything. It's like e.g. the word "awesome". It's a word you say if you feel the need to say something, but you have nothing to say ;)

Last edited by VitaType, Sep 1, 2017
  9. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Looks nice (that handheld) but agreed with most: little more than a curio, and I don't see myself picking one up.

If you're gonna be an arse and pick up on something like that at least make sure your own post is waterproof: 'dosn't'? Is that 'don't' or 'doesn't'? ...Neither really work from a grammatical point of view in that sentence anyway.. So be careful in future, and remember if you get just 2 letters mixed up, that's your whole post urined....;)

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    I don't think my whole post got ruined by this small mistake.
    I criticised the phenomenon that marketing departments and media which repeats marketing statments uncritical leads to a brainless use of words. It leads to the "zombification" of language-usage and therefore also to the "zombification" of thinking.
    That hardly is on the same level as the annoying correcting by "grammer nazis" you seem to accuse me.
    The proper usage of grammer indeed is useful and should be striven for, but my ridiculing of zombie-english serves a different purpose then making me feel good by humiliate others. It's about pointing out zombie-english. It's not about a crude "saving the language" agenda, it's about supporting clear thinking and fighting propaganda.
    Please excuse me that you feel attacked or at very least annoyed by that... but there is no need to insult me (I'm refering to address me as arse).

Last edited by VitaType, Sep 1, 2017
    Tomato Hentai likes this.
  11. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Never had an Atari so I'm tempted

12. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    I call BS.... no E.T.

13. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    It would have been cool if Atari would have released Swordquest: Airworld ™ with this. Just like how Nintendo released Starfox 2 with the Mini SNES..but..whatever.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  14. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    neato!

15. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Switch clone? It's ok because it's a retroconsole.

16. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
  17. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    No pitfall 2? Fuck this pos.
    They'll probably find a way to hack it and put more games on it like with the nes plug and play console. It has potential. Not sure about that dpad/disc....thingy tho.

18. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.14.0-1-zen
    Pitfall was made by Activision...

19. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Is that the sound of a missed joke flying over your head? :)

I don't think @VitaType was calling me out. I asked "what is innovative about it" to ridicule the claim, and @VitaType just took it a step further by ridiculing the market in general

Subtle Demise and VitaType like this.
  20. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    With the Atari 2600 featuring simple controls, I would just go with emulation on a phone. Touch controls could work for it, but even the cheapest bluetooth controller would work fine.

The entire romset including some of the 8K homebrew's is under 3MB's.

But honestly there is only a handful of 2600 games that would still be fun to play today, 99% of the system's games are pure trash. The remaining 1% are decent to fantastic though so probably a good idea if some one wanted to play the system to look up a top 20 2600 games list or something.

I always liked Yars Revenge, Berzerk, Asteroids, Combat (if you have 2 players) Missile Command, plus a few more I am sure I will remember as soon as I hit post... lol

Edit: Oh yeah Pacman 8K homebrew and Frogger for the Tele something or other are infinitely better versions than what most people had.

People would have really enjoyed this version a thousand times better than the one Atari launched....

Edit 2: More on topic, this hand held thing looks cool to me, but the small screen at least for me would not be good :( old age and bad eyes lol

If I had good eyes I would probably want it, assuming it has micro SD support... hmmm that ancient 128MB MicroSD card I have would be perfect for it lol

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo, Sep 2, 2017
    Corredor, Subtle Demise and VinsCool like this.