Hardware ASUS Computer not "starting up correctly"

supergamer368

🗿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my ASUS (aka ANUS) computer (notebook PC, or so the label says) turns on to windows 10 right? Black screen for 20 minutes. Then, it says windows failed to start up correctly and lets me troubleshoot. whenever i do though, it just takes me back to the menu. If i soft-reset it (turn it off and back on, but not so that the computer shuts down completely) it says preparing automatic repair. but then i'm back at that stupid menu again!!!!!! Please help!!!!!!!!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Sounds like corrupt system files. I would use Medicat to boot into Mini Windows 10 or Windows 10 Recovery and run from there. I don't remember the methods for automatic repair of system files, but Mini 10 lets you use a working WinPE environment to work from (running recovery apps and such) and Windows 10 Recovery has the usual Microsoft repair functions.

supergamer368

🗿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like hold F2 bios? yeah, i can also get to the troubleshoot menu. (It's also worth noting that selecting "reset this pc" will ask me to insert recovery media. when i tried, it said it was invalid. i tried every windows 10 version shown for the recovery media and still.) EDIT: IT IS REALLY WORTH NOTING THAT THIS PC DOES NOT HAVE A DVD DRIVE!!!!!!

Last edited by supergamer368,

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like hold F2 bios? yeah, i can also get to the troubleshoot menu. (It's also worth noting that selecting "reset this pc" will ask me to insert recovery media. when i tried, it said it was invalid. i tried every windows 10 version shown for the recovery media and still.) EDIT: IT IS REALLY WORTH NOTING THAT THIS PC DOES NOT HAVE A DVD DRIVE!!!!!!
You don't need a DVD drive. You can launch Medicat or any recovery iso using a correctly formatted USB. Just use Rufus or similar, I think it should be linked in Medicat thread or you can easily google it.

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What now?
Well... check your system.
Or install a new version of Windows using "Mini Windows 10" (Don't know what that is, and don't want to know)
Try checking that every single file needed by Windows in order to run correctly are there, if not, then download all you may need.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Someone told me that you can use a USB to run a backup. My notebook doesn't have a DVD drive either.

supergamer368

🗿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the original Windows 10 installer from Microsoft. Using Rufus to make it bootable. Got my Product Key from Mini Windows 10 (application ProduKey, it tells you your product key)

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were you, I'd try and use a live linux usb, nuke Windows, then try and install Windows again.

EDIT: Boot the Windows installer from the usb and install?

Last edited by Boogieboo6,

supergamer368

🗿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
installer sucks and won't let me on ANY PARTITION ON MY DRIVE. Also, my actual OS is Windows 10, but if I boot normally, automatic repairs takes me to a troubleshoot screen where i can "Exit and continue to Windows 8.1.... WHY DOES IT SAY 8.1?!?!?!

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does that on my Win 10 laptop too, also by Asus, chill put. By won't let you on any partition, don't you have to erase at least 1 partition to make free space?

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've been through that installer like 3 times now thanks to my Linux adventures. Use the erase button and erase at least 1 partition. Format button might also work. No changes are made until you start installation so play around and see what works.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Side thing, I recommend using ninite so you can install stuff fast like 7-zip, Steam, Google Chrome, and Skype.

supergamer368

🗿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH CRAP. So, I formatted C: and:
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT
partition style.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not
support booting to this disk. (WTF) Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in
the computer's BIOS menu.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since installation never started, changes probably weren't applied. Your C: drive should be just like it was before. Hey, I've gotta go to my next class now. I'll help out when I can, but you can PM me whenever. I can definitely get to you in 4 ish hours, because that's when school's out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: