Assassins Creed Rumored for Egyptian Setting and Slowdown in Yearly Release

AC3_5years_710x390tcm1977449.jpg

Could Triple A devs finally be feeling the same fatigue us gamers have felt from yearly releases of the same old games every year?

That possibility is looking likely, thanks to some recent leaked information from Kotaku:

The next Assassin’s Creed, which we believe is set in ancient Egypt and code-named Empire, won’t launch until 2017, according to both a new online rumor and sources speaking to Kotaku. One person familiar with Ubisoft’s upcoming gaming plans told me this afternoon that the decision to delay Empire from fall 2016 was made after 2014’s disappointing Unity, and that this bump will allow the development team more room to improve and polish the game. The source said this biennial approach could be a new trend for Assassin’s Creed, which has suffered from franchise fatigue in recent years.

Rumors about Empire originated this morning on the 4chan boards, of all places, where an anonymous poster claiming to be a developer at Ubisoft wrote that Assassin’s Creed would be skipping this year and that 2017’s big game would be set in Egypt. Although I haven’t been able to confirm the veracity of this 4chan poster—whose posts are compiled on NeoGAF here—everything he wrote matches up with what I’ve heard independently for months.

The article goes on to suggest this years big Ubisoft title could be replaced with Watch Dogs 2 over the annual Assassins creed, allowing the hunger for the franchise to build up a bit and revitalize some interest while innovating in gameplay and improving the games overall potential.

:arrow: SOURCE

What are your thoughts on this new information? Are you happy we may go a year without an Assassins creed game? Could we see similar action from say, Call of Duty?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
More development time is always better. If it's true, it's a good decision. There was no need to try pound out so many games so quickly and just build infamy from buggy broken messes. Granted, Syndicate seems to have been received fairly well (haven't gotten around to playing it myself).

D

Deleted User

More development time is always better. If it's true, it's a good decision. There was no need to try pound out so many games so quickly and just build infamy from buggy broken messes. Granted, Syndicate seems to have been received fairly well (haven't gotten around to playing it myself).
We live in a day and age where there's fuckloads of good games to play. Quality over quantity.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Kotaku be like, "Why do game devs hate us? It's because we does good journalism!"
I like the idea, kind of sounds like they are bringing it back to it's Prince of Persia roots.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well of course they're tired, they've been for years and we all know it. that industry works understaffed and stressed beyond believe, in addition to being pretty much just one flop away from bankruptcy every time. even completing and delivering a good game doesn't guarantee you stay alive to make more.

i'd much rather think that they slow down assassins creed, cause people are getting tired of it, sales are slowing and they already put too much money into this empires to completely halt the project. so they're slowing it down (and most likely slim down the team too)

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
It's great they're giving more time to develop, that's always good. Syndicate was basically a Unity 2 and was boring af, for someone who played Unity that is.
But I don't see how any new AC title could improve upon the best AC games, the series needs something new. (and not just a new maneuvering attack on titan ripoff mechanic, I'm looking at you ropelauncher)

8832de16601f02ebd0d430efad4168aa80e233569356cb6f00c03e8d6123517b_1.jpg

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I always play them every year and do every last thing in the game. I enjoy them, but after ac3, they just abandoned their modern day story line. Oh crap, did we write ourselves into a corner? Let's just never ever speak of any of this ever again.

Also, isn't Egypt rumored like, every single year? Eventually it has to be right.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I always play them every year and do every last thing in the game. I enjoy them, but after ac3, they just abandoned their modern day story line. Oh crap, did we write ourselves into a corner? Let's just never ever speak of any of this ever again.

Also, isn't Egypt rumored like, every single year? Eventually it has to be right.

I'm the same I've platted the last 3 in a row despite not really being into the series lol.
I'd like Japan, please give us Japan with awesome new combat engine.
Could have naval too, like Red Cliff!

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still waiting for feudal Japan, which seems like the most obvious setting, before I get back on board. I stopped caring when they killed off their main character without resolving anything.

Reactions: VinsCool

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only played Black Flag, and loved it. It was my first Assassin Creed game. After that, I tried the Murrikan Assassin Creed, and got bored with it after a few hours, and uninstalled it.

After that, Watch Dogs came out, and I was pretty hyped, so I pirated the PC version, it ran like ass. So, I uninstalled it like an hour later.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I only played Black Flag, and loved it. It was my first Assassin Creed game. After that, I tried the Murrikan Assassin Creed, and got bored with it after a few hours, and uninstalled it.

After that, Watch Dogs came out, and I was pretty hyped, so I pirated the PC version, it ran like ass. So, I uninstalled it like an hour later.
that's pretty much exactly my experience with it too. black flag is just so amazing. the next game "rogue" is like black flag but smaller/shorter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.