As Technology Develops...

Is technological development going to cause the human species to be extinct?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TechAndrew

Untitled
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As technology develops, we don't have to do much in our lives anymore.
One day, technology will develop so far that it will probably replace the remaining jobs we need to do.
And at that point, humans would have no purpose whatsoever.

So, what do you think; is technological development going to cause the human species to go extinct?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would be OK to cede earth's intelligent life to robots.

As for going extinct when jobs go then no. I don't know if it will be post scarcity, singularity or post jobs and what that might look like but extinct is a hard one to see in all but singularity for me.

Choice video

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe personally that whenever a new technological innovation comes that humanity and the markets will react to said change. Its the process of evolution in the sort of survival of the fittest. Now one must act if humanity will react the right way and my answer to that is yes but who knows how the world will be in thousands of years from know.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Technology has supplemented or completely replaced so many areas of human work, in technological revolution after technological revolution, and yet mankind has survived all of them. No matter how many jobs we get machines to do for us, humanity will create some other inventive fuckery to occupy their time with instead of working, and live on.

Reactions: RevPokemon

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but because of more and more powerful weapons, not for the reasons you named. There are already have weapons which can destroy large portions of the world that are in the hands of people that arent trusted and soon either Hillary or Trump. At some point more than likely someone will pull the trigger and destroy the planet imo, probably not in our lifetime though.

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
simply software can't win from humans since software always limits itself to follow a known attern of behavior... that doesn't mean a robot couldn't try to kill humans... but we'll win in the end.

Last edited by Jack Daniels,
D

Deleted User

If you mean robots will take over the world then no.
Robots will need to somehow develop awareness of their ability to take over the world which is impossible. Someone would have to program them to kill people.
I don't think technology will ever become independent from humans. Technology needs humans.

Phearoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that with the advent of robotics, if the government doesn't assign robot production income to people then we will be poor forever, with only the people who bought & built the robots being wealthy.

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think that with the advent of robotics, if the government doesn't assign robot production income to people then we will be poor forever, with only the people who bought & built the robots being wealthy.
look man, remember the france revolution? we'll never accept such a thing to happen... so if those people with robots arise... remember the odds: wealthy vs poor... that would equal a a war unknown... but still it's them most scarry idea.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Evolution its creating a necessity for a solution.. wait.. or was it marketing?

point is, when a solution its made for a problem, then a problem is made for that solution:

Example: We need to go faster, we built a new FZ23984 Jet, But it Uses a New Gas type, we need to find a way to create that gas or to obtain it a little faster.

Get it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: