ARM confirms Switch is powered by four Cortex-A57 cores

32B7797E-B4D5-4985-85B5-7D11E43A6B74-23222-0000122226460547_tmp.jpg

It was much debated on the Internet what SoC Nintendo's Switch is using. Some say it is powered by Nvidia's 2 years old Tegra X1, others say it is powered by a custom Tegra Pascal chip. It seems we finally have an answer as ARM claimed the Switch will be powered by 4x ARM Cortex-57 cores. For reference, the X1 also uses four ARM Cortex-57 cores. While Nvidia's Pascal based Tegra P1 chip utilises four Cortex-57 cores as well, it also has 2 additional Denver2 cores that are lacking in the X1 and ARM's announcement. That means it's very likely that Nintendo went with the X1, although with some sort of possible customization.

:arrow: Source

Update

Someone asked ARM via email about the facebook post and ARM says it was 'not an official statement' and removed the post. Whether it was posted by mistake or if there is any other reason behind it is anyone's guess. ARM notably didn't deny the truthfullness of the post, but at present the Switch's SoC remains unconfirmed.

E979AA3E-6170-4DAA-B8D3-38619F44E445-23701-000012E0B69B3C9A_tmp.png

Last edited by WiiUBricker,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's seldom the case. All you have to look at was early in the Wii U's life when it wasn't getting the multiplats going to the 360 and PS3. Or how about all the multi-plats that didn't come to the Gamecube which was more than powerful enough? The Wii U is not as underpowered as people like to proclaim. It is a capable system that developers could have put their games on if they wanted to, but ultimately they decided it wasn't worth it.
Thank you! The Wii U isn't a power monster but it isn't anyway near crap as people make it out to be.

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes I just wished consoles would go back to there roots about being more convenience boxes instead of stripped down feature locked PCs with paid online, that need exclusives to justify there existance. The Nintendo Switch in my opinion could bring all of it's titles to PC, and it would still be a good option. No game installs(uses carts), You can take it on the good, and comes with a decent price tag. It will also have games optimized for it, as opposed to something like the Smach Z which is actually weaker than the Switch, and a RYZEN APU will drastically increase the price of the system.

It's seldom the case. All you have to look at was early in the Wii U's life when it wasn't getting the multiplats going to the 360 and PS3. Or how about all the multi-plats that didn't come to the Gamecube which was more than powerful enough? The Wii U is not as underpowered as people like to proclaim. It is a capable system that developers could have put their games on if they wanted to, but ultimately they decided it wasn't worth it.
Well obviously this is true a Wii U is more powerful than a PS3, but I'm talking about titles that completely ditch the other last gen systems

Last edited by spiderman1216,

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally someone who understands. People say the Switch is UP, OK. But please, never, ever take XBullshit/CrapStation4 as a reference. Again, Ninty tries to innovate. Sony/MS are selling overpriced underpowe'red PC replicas with the same games. Any gamer will buy both a PC and a Nintendo console, but no XB1/PS4.
Uhm, yeah. That's why the Wii U sold more than the ps4. Wii U was a huge success, because every "gamer" bought it instead of the other two.

Notice the fucking sarcasm.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes I just wished consoles would go back to there roots
yes, this would be amazing for people like us, but for people born after 2000?.......
not so much.

this is because they're used to everything playing music, touch screens, 4k 3d graphics, ect.

nintendo selling another gba would kind of go great for us, but not for younger kids, which kinda goes against their target demographics.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes, this would be amazing for people like us, but for people born after 2000?.......
not so much.

this is because they're used to everything playing music, touch screens, 4k 3d graphics, ect.

nintendo selling another gba would kind of go great for us, but not for younger kids, which kinda goes against their target demographics.
A Gameboy Classic would sell like gangbusters though.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And yet it is still impossible to find.

My point is just that it wouldn't exactly appeal to a younger generation as much, because of all the newer tech we have. Older stuff is seen as pretty damn obsolete.

Miss the days where you had to open up your NES after 90 days when you got the red flashing screen, to then practically do some makeshift open head surgery on that thing XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16