Are you still playing old/classic videogames?

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Im the only guy who is still playing Virtual Boy or N64...?

Just im curious, someone are is still playing old videogames, like Atari games, NES Games, SNES or something...?

Im still playing GBA, N64, SNES, NES, VB, PS1, and GBC games

Why?
Because i like old games, just look that beautiful pixels, that chipsound, that controllers, that games... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What about you? Are you still playing old or classic videogames? :P

Also i don't like games of today :P
kek me

Reactions: Robert McCoy
D

Deleted_11405

haha i'll try, Alex4u
have now setup the ps4 controller on the notebook and ran some GBA,N64,SNES and NES gameroms in emulators to see how good it played/was controllable.

Other classic game i did was Bonkheads and Unreal Tournament, maybe Q3Arena follows and a few more. like Lords of Realm III.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah sure, from time to time I get bored of modern games and I dive straight into emulation or some old handheld for a couple of weeks. Just last month, taking a break from MAME, I was trying a new build of retroarch on the PC and while browsing games and platforms I got into GBA's Medal of Honor and I was happy to finally able to play it on a big screen, with nice scanlines and a controller of my choice ( my main complain back than was the difficult to aim diagonally with the GBA d-pad and the small screen ) and with a little help of the save state functionality I actually managed to finish it, tough little game ! Then I was in the mood for some Castlevania and I finished Circle of the Moon, which on the original hardware was way too dark and had tiny ( but great ) graphics as well. After that I found a hack to remove the awful bright outline from the sprites in Harmony of dissonance and I decided to give it another go, but this time I remembered that I still have a great 30" CRT TV and after (lots of) trials and errors I managed to find a reasonably stable version of retroarch for the Wii and proceeded to play Castlevania HoD like never before on a big CRT TV in 240p RGB with authentic scanlines and a Wii CC pro for the ultimate experience.

But since I was in the mood and already set up why not go for the original Metroidvania itself ? Excluding Super Metroid which I finished several times over the years, on the same setup I finished Zero mission, which led me to the discovery of numerous Super Metroid hacks and I found the excellent Hyper Metroid, which I started but I haven't got very far into it again.

Since my Wii was up and running I decided to play some last gen games and proceeded to collect a few more stars in SMG 2 , discovered one of the beautiful hidden gem Trauma Team ( which unexpectedly took me over 20 hours to finish ! ) and a few Wiiware racing games, even restarted Excitetrucks on Dolphin and let me tell you, for a Wii launch game, at 1080p@60fps and a real wii remote, plus the ability to mount a virtual SD card in dolphin where I stored and played my favorite tracks while driving trucks, I'm just amazed how good the game really is even by today standards and as far as an arcade experience, it's certainly timeless !

Then I went back to Dark Souls 3 and prepared to die again.... In the past couple of weeks I've been endlessly playing Just Cause 3, but open world games get tiresome at some point and thanks to sites like GBAtemp and the occasional retro gaming video that pops up on youtube, I constantly discover old favorites or overlooked gems of the past ( even new ZX Spectrum games ! ) and since most emulators are already set up on my devices, it's easy to dive back in every now and then.

My next priorities are now Super Mario RPG and Hyper Metroid on the CRT TV.
Sorry OP, did I get off-topic ? Looking back at this wall of text I asked myself why did I type all that. It must be the pleasure of typing on my new mechanical keyboard ( Logitech G810 ) ! ;)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Same as Taleweaver.
I'm not currently playing one, but I like to "fulfill" my personal backlog. And I have a ton of games I wanted to play in the past, I enjoy playing them now.
There's no time limit to enjoy something. Last year I played few PS1 games. that's not very old, but still 20 years already.

I still have my old consoles, but I find it easier to play on emulators.
My TV doesn't have Scart anymore, my previous one was not compatible with 240i/p, etc.
it's just easier to play old games on emulation/virtual console, than the real hardware, unless you kept all the old devices (CRT etc.)
Also, emulation can abuse savestate or cheats... that's bad but sometime it's easier to complete the story faster than spending a year on a game.

what is hard is to choose which game to play next.
as there are always new game released that I'm interested in, it just adds to my backlog.
I try to play one game at a time, finishing it before starting a new one, or else I would never finish any. picking an old game and completing it is satisfactory.

I'm derogating my rule this year, I started too many games at the same time (Zelda BotW, Horizon, some PSVR games). I'm wondering when I'll complete them.

Last edited by Cyan,

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
no, not so much that I used to be, in fact I am pretty sad about it. maybe because I grew up? because busy office life? I feel like neglecting old friends that have been keeping me happy since forever. I tried to play nes, snes, psx games... but everytime I do it, I feel "I need to move on and experience new adventures!".

again, it's because I am one of those people who play games for stories. I rarely read books that I have read or watch a movie twice. and with the easiness of getting rom in a single click, I don't feel those games are "retro" at all, as if they have always been there, thus I see them as products at the current time.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If anything have abandoned the 3DS for a DSi, in part because of all the games I missed since 2008 (when I had to return 3 Lites in 2 months and gave up); in larger part because I'm fed up with cat vs mouse hacking, developers relying on post-release updates, dlc, online becoming significant to the point it will significantly harm a game's enjoyability when it closes, and people asking questions about CFW (for which they didn't do any research) in the Homebrew Development & Emulators section :P

(Yes, I've seen quite some people consider a last-gen system "retro")

As for actual GBC-or-older games, nowadays I rarely play them "full time", although in the last month I've emulated some PS1 games that I've never finished on actual hardware (between being 9 years old at the time, scratched discs, and a game breaking bug in the European version of Hot Wheels Turbo Racing) and I really enjoy giving some time here and there to cult classics like Sonic 3 & Amy Rose, Action 52 yes I genuinely like that game - when it works, Dian Shi Ma Li :D

But the fun will never come close to 2004-2007 when 70% of my summer holidays was invested into hacking Pokemon and Super Mario World!

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I'm always at it! Mix the old with the new! Naturally when a big new game comes out (currently BOTW) the old games take a back burner, but I'll always go back. No problems replaying the classics over and over either - even RPGs... I'll restart Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Shining Force etc regularly, timeless classics that'll never grow old for me.
(via emulation here too, though I do have most of the systems in a box in the attic - would bring them out but the missus complains about the number of recent consoles I have setup, whipping one of those out would probably send her over the edge :lol: )

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Almost exclusively. Main consoles are Saturn, Mega Drive, Game Cube and PSTwo, with all but the last being displayed on a 4:3 CRT via RGB and with audio being fed into a hifi.

The 3DS era was the only one since the SNES days that I used a contemporary console, but since ironhax came out i use those to play vintage games way more than ones from the 3DS library anyway. Retro is the default.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished Shining Force GBA for the first time a month ago.
Saturday morning I spent a while playing Sonic CD on PS3... best damn Sonic game imo. I got that game when I was in second grade. I have never beaten Metal Sonic without taking damage :/

I am actually waiting to see if Nintendo implements real VC before I spend money on some oldies I want to play on proper hardware. DKC, DKC2, DKC3, SMW, and a few others.

Retinal_FAILURE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Play GB thru super gameboy on SNES from time to time. Just got black carts of a mahjongg type game and pac man with a cool puzzle tetris type of pacman game. Super mario land 2 is my favorite. Beat it on "original hardware" a GB Boy Colour, so i can see what i was doing. Batteries werent an issue i got a pelican rechargeable in clear blue that pretty much fits the GB Boy. Thats fun. Im gonna go for it on the hdtv next. Lemmings in gbc, lots of emulation for sega as well as original hardware, sonic 3D Blast on genesis...amazing. Sonic 1, 2, and ill eventually get into 3. Vectorman 2, Road Rash games. I love. Smw of course. Mega man Xtreme, thats a tough game! Gba..super mario advance 3, balistic ecks v. Sever 2 (U). I wanna get a copy of the ( E) version Of that game its so fun!

Reactions: SG6000

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I usually have a few old games on the back burner. Right now it's Soul Blazer on VC inject on my 3DS (I have a copy, but I don't play it much because I rather deal with portable consoles.)

Right now, all my time is going into BoTW (I haven't bought a new/hdmi system in a long time and this is a good treat for myself.)

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm playing some C64 at the moment. There were a few games I didn't understand when I played them as a kid. So up next on my to-play-list, I'm playing The Sentinel, M.U.L.E and Paradroid. Nostalgia is certainly a factor, but the creative freedom people took when games weren't a $100M investment and you worked alone or in tiny teams made for way more unique games (a lot of terrible ones too, not gonna lie).

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still play gbc, gb, gba, ps1, ps2, snes, n64 (a lot), gamecube, and Wii games. Only one I don't play is NES. There's just not a lot I like on that console.

I also want to get back into dreamcast for sonic but just haven't found the motivation. I've still got so many 3ds and ps4 games to beat already.

Only ones I play on real hardware without emulation are n64, Wii, gamecube, ps2 and ps4. The rest I emulate.

Last edited by Robert McCoy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.