Are you Pro or Anti Piracy?

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sup my n**** Shadow. I'm very much pro piracy, because statistically speaking piracy doesn't have a big enough effect to really be a problem. I also just think there's some things that are just plain too expensive. Namely manga/anime on bluray. Pretty much though if I like something enough I will buy it even if I have to pay the ridiculous bluray prices. Oh yeah also I strongly believe in preserving old games/movies/manga/anime (Like I agree on your rare games point) and what have you. As an aspiring artist myself (and music pays pretty low compared to other arts) I want as many people as I can get out there that enjoy my content to enjoy it, everyone has my full permission to pirate my music if they want I don't care. If you like my content that makes me happy, and I'll be thankful to anyone that buys my content. I know not every artist is as kind as I am on this note but I for one just think pirate whatever you want, you don't even have to buy anything and fuck the morality argument. And if you're a developer or whatever and you're worried people will pirate your game, make a better game. That's the philosophy (along the lines) that made Steam successful.

A few sources on that statistic if you're curious:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/music-pirates-study_n_2526417.html
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...pirates-buy-more-full-stop-deal-with-it.shtml
http://www.dailytech.com/Nearly Half of Americans Pirate Casually But Pirates Purchase More Legal Content/article29702.htm

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm pro-piracy. I'm not really going to type a novel though, the OP covered most of my bases already.

One example though, is Steam removed the racing game "Blur" for no reason, just before I could purchase it. Origin doesn't carry the game either. So if I can't find it to purchase a legit copy from a game client, then fuck them, I'm pirating that shit.

I typically torrent repacked games to play them, and because repacks generally cut/compress the bullshit like FMVs, saving me several GBs of needless download. Pirated copies also usually take less to setup and play, usually just swapping the main EXE with a patched one, and you're good to go. But if the game ever goes on sale in Origin or Steam for 75% or more, you bet your ass I pick up the legit copy.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to pirate a shitton a few years back, mainly because buying games simply wasn't worth it as they are so expensive. Although most of my money mainly goes into retro stuff now I pay for every game I play on my PC as they are far cheaper than console games. I don't own a next gen console but that will probably change with a new Star Fox and Zelda title.

I wouldn't say I'm pro piracy but I don't have particularly against it either. It isn't hurting if you weren't planning on buying the games beforehand.

Reactions: Margen67

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My stance is that I don't care. If I feel like pirating a game, I'll do it. That could be for whatever reason (game no longer available or never released in my region or just to try before buying).

I think this statement mostly sums up my feeling on this. If I want to "obtain" a game (or most other media) for a decent reason, I will.

A prime example is Fable Anniversary. I was ecstatic when it was announced, and more so when it launched because Fable: The Lost Chapters was one of my favorite original Xbox games. Why wouldn't I want to play a visually enhanced version with even more content (even if that content is pretty much just more armor and weapons)? I got the game, brought it home, popped it in my 360 and was utterly disappointed after it constantly stuttered, lagged and froze. Now, even months later and with updates downloaded from Xbox Live, it still died constantly. I even tried a new disc to no avail. Disgusted, I took my copy to GameStop, traded it in, bought a nice lunch with the money from it and went home to find a Fable Anniversary PC torrent. Now I finally have the copy of Fable Anniversary I wanted, and should have gotten when I bought it the first time.

codeclutch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not fully pro-piracy, I have no issues whatsoever paying money for a quality product that I will enjoy. That being said, there tends to be very few games that I will actually desire to play all the way through. The ones that I will play 6+ hours on, provided the company behind it hasn't been proven to be complete dicks, make the cut and get paid. Otherwise... if I use your rom for a few hours and don't like the game and delete the rom... really all I did is borrow the game. Of course, I also enjoy some rare games as well, and refuse to pay an extravagant price that does not benefit the maker of the game.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not against piracy, but since I scored a decent paying job, I just don't need to resort to piracy like I used to anymore. I still slurp up legacy emulator ROMs or music MP3's, but that's only because they are easy and relatively small files to acquire. I just don't have the time or inclination to pirate multiple gigabyte files when it takes less time to just buy them. Movies and TV shows are provided by a friend, so I don't have to bother with those either.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not against piracy, but since I scored a decent paying job, I just don't need to resort to piracy like I used to anymore. I still slurp up legacy emulator ROMs or music MP3's, but that's only because they are easy and relatively small files to acquire. I just don't have the time or inclination to pirate multiple gigabyte files when it takes less time to just buy them. Movies and TV shows are provided by a friend, so I don't have to bother with those either.

Yup same here, i used to download every rom, now only the one i want to check out to buy, the other fact is, age (older and wiser, like the say, older i know for sure, wiser, my wife and kids say not ;) )
Movies, i don't watch movies, only tv shows in divx quality (i don't keep them after watching) so divx is good enough and almost 50% smaller to download

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy +2