Homebrew Are powersave3DS save files encrypted to specific cartdrige?

Phantom64

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I mean, i have a reaaally old backup file from Pokémon X, but i don't longer own my old cartdrige. When i use my friends cartdrige to decrypt my old file, it shows as a corrupted save file. Is this because every savefile is encrypted with a specific key (or something else) linked with a specific cartdrige?

I mean, do i need my FIRST original cartdrige?

bumpity bump

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I mean, i have a reaaally old backup file from Pokémon X, but i don't longer own my old cartdrige. When i use my friends cartdrige to decrypt my old file, it shows as a corrupted save file. Is this because every savefile is encrypted with a specific key (or something else) linked with a specific cartdrige?

I mean, do i need my FIRST original cartdrige?

bumpity bump

Yes, encrypted to your own cartridge, however there are a few ways around decrypting it.

Powersaves when it backs up your save, it also backs up the header, which is used to encrypt your save.

So by getting a rom of Pokemon X,
putting the header (obtained from the powersaves save) in the rom
(same procedure to allow online play for roms),
and injecting the save (minus all of powersave header junk) into the rom
(cart2 type of save restore, goes into the rom),
on Gateway3DS or sky3ds, you'll basically be playing a clone of your cartridge.
(hence your save will be able to be decrypted)

edit
Also, read this:
https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?48767-Question-about-saves-and-Alpha-Sapphire

Last edited by Queno138, , Reason: edited for clarity.
D

Deleted User

Thank you so much, I didn't know that saves were cartridge encrypted
No problem dude. I used to love action replays, but it turns out that their products are shit.
They want your money, and they provide cheats.
I wish we had a real cheat device for 3DS where we can ADD cheats. Like on DS, but it's no longer needed.
We have NTR.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
you can decrypt the old PS save backup and use HB tools to import it back to new cartridge

isn't that decryption only possible if the original cartridge is still around?

edit:

for OP:
If you send your save to an user with gateway3DS,
they may be able to help you

Last edited by Queno138,
Reactions: Phantom64

Ricken

Oh Pretty Angel... Did None Teach You?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all games are encrypted by cart... The most notable one that isn't is OOT

But you're working with a game with per cart encryption (Pokemon X) so normally you would need the original cart...
But the Gen 6 Pokemon games are exceptions. I am highly uneducated on how, but there's a way to decrypt Gen 6 Pokemon saves to be loaded in PKHeX. Instructions are on Project Pokemon iirc. If you were to decrypt the save and load it in PKHeX, you could export it as main, which would let you use the save after patching the secure value

EDIT; I should mention that the saves CAN NOT be re-encrypted

Reactions: Phantom64

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Not all games are encrypted by cart... The most notable one that isn't is OOT

But you're working with a game with per cart encryption (Pokemon X) so normally you would need the original cart...
But the Gen 6 Pokemon games are exceptions. I am highly uneducated on how, but there's a way to decrypt Gen 6 Pokemon saves to be loaded in PKHeX. Instructions are on Project Pokemon iirc. If you were to decrypt the save and load it in PKHeX, you could export it as main, which would let you use the save after patching the secure value

EDIT; I should mention that the saves CAN NOT be re-encrypted

Talking strictly about XYORAS here,

Okay, to decrypt Powersave save for Pokemon, you will need your original cart to decrypt, in order to obtain save1keystream.bin,
so unless you already have that, you won't be able to decrypt a Powersaves save without it.
(to get the keystream, need original cart, do a few things such as restart save and set a code to it etc)

While it is normally impossible to decrypt a save without the cart,
Powersaves save actually backup the private header of the cart (edit: it actually doesn't. you'll need a RAM check of the powersaves tool while the cart is inserted).
(and btw, Powersaves doesn't encrypt the save.
The save is encrypted by the 3DS using the header, and powersaves simply dump it raw + header)

Meaning if you:
1. Inject the private header into a Rom (http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...o-cia-plus-extracting-private-headers.432600/),
2. Inject the encrypted save (minus Powersaves' own header from the save) into the ROM
3. Place rom on red cart on Gateway3DS

It should run, as you are basically emulating the cartridge.

edit:
I'm not entirely correct, it seems.
Powersaves saves don't dump your header (they dump something else while writing a header into your save)

So your only issue, is finding your private header.

Last edited by Queno138,

Phantom64

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Omg. Really, thank you so much guys, you helped me A LOT.
Now I have just to get my old cartridge (it's not a problem to do that) and then just reinject the save in it and then extract the save in many possible ways. Thank you for all of your answers! (PS, only .cia here, so no flashcard)

Reactions: Ricken and Queno138

Phantom64

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Maybe it will be a problem get my Cartdrige back. Mh. If i get my header (I have it, it is somewhere on the HDD), and i send the savefile with the header to someone that has a gateway or a sky3ds, will i be able to decrypt my save?

Reactions: Queno138

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning