Are my PC's specs really all that bad, from a gaming standpoint?

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More recent iGPUs are pretty decent. I own a Qosmio x70-B with an i7-4720HQ w/ Intel HD 4600, and I used it when my dGPU failed. It was much worse, but definitely playable, and it was enough for CSGO at 768p, with 60+FPS. I also have a Surface Pro 4 and i7-6650U w/ Intel Iris 540 are pretty decent. CS runs at 80+FPS at 768p.
i just really hate IGPU's with a passion lol, i need that fancy ultra graphics settings

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
>a 2.4ghz cpu
>old intel intergraded
Yeah, that's not gonna get you much. You would be better buying new laptop honestly. Just don't fall for the gaming laptop meme.....
Were an actual, high end gaming laptop more affordable, I'd definitely take it for the portability. Unfortunately, they're all expensive, especially the more high end ones. Even my Qosmio X70-B-10T.... For way less, I have made a significantly more powerful desktop. Including monitor and all. lmao.

Current gen iGPUs (recent HDs, Iris, etc., even AMD APUs with R7 graphics) are pleasantly powerful, making it more possible to run games without getting a powerful high end laptop.

Last edited by gnmmarechal,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Were an actual, high end gaming laptop more affordable, I'd definitely take it for the portability. Unfortunately, they're all expensive, especially the more high end ones. Even my Qosmio X70-B-10T.... For way less, I have made a significantly more powerful desktop. Including monitor and all. lmao.

Current gen iGPUs (recent HDs, Iris, etc., even AMD APUs with R7 graphics) are pleasantly powerful, making it more possible to run games without getting a powerful high end laptop.
Yeah, I love iGPUs. They have come a long way from iGPUs say, 10 years ago. iGPUs can do alot nowadays.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always build a gaming PC, and if you wanna sit comfy in your bed and play games, you can use that laptop with Steam streaming!

PC part picker is nice to help you build a PC.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its decent for retro emulation (up to ps1) throw in the retroachievement.com emulators and kodi and you would have a nice multimedia set up when hooked to your tv. Otherwise its your average general use pc.

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel sorry of any games that are attempted to be ran on that. listen, IF you ever think about upgrading, or getting a new PC specifically for gaming, it's best to build your own.

Now if you dont feel comfortable with building one, there are other ways to have it set up. some computer repair shops will build it for you for a small fee, and some even grant an insurance on the parts if anything is damaged by them during the build.

another option if you just want a name brand PC you can usually go to the manufacture site, like HP and select from their product lines, and then some have the option to customize whats inside, and you can from there change what you want albeit at a much steeper rate then building your own.

now if you decided to go the diy route, go to PCpartpicker.com
there you can easily get comparison for price ranges on all the parts you'll need, and the added security of a compatibility mode, that only shows parts that will work with the pieces you already have.

when building a pc, you want to go with an Intel processor, i5 would do you just fine, just keep it as close to 4.0ghz as possible.
when deciding ram, you'll want at least 8GB for minimal and more of course is always a plus, up to what your mother board can handle of course.
also on ram, you'll want to keep in mind its speed/frequency/latency this will require a bit of research, but you can always just buy a compatible ram and not worry too much about this.
GPU I find as a rule of thumb, never get anything with an odd number in its name, like a GTX 1050 for example. I just never had any luck with them.
for faster loading times on OS startup and games, get a SSD (solid state drive) to install the operating system on. and then you can get a normal hard drive for all the other stuff.

so as an example, my first build, I scrapped a LOT from my HP pavilion that was made in 05 or 08 i cant remember. but I scrapped things like Ram, HDD, Disk drive, leaving the rest to be bought.
I started with the ram that was in my pc as a base as it was the main thing I had to compromise on and find compatibility with. my build was only at that point 350, that was Case, GPU, CUP, Fans, MOBO, Power supply.

My Gpu was bought off a friend when he built his new rig, and could do medium settings on most games easily. My final cost on a full build after replacing what needed to be, was 740, which includes a new HDD, and an SSD, new GPU and Ram.

TLDR; pcpartpicker is the way to go, or just go to manufacture and customize a default build

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is your budget if you were to get a new PC? I'm sure it would help a lot of people here.
don't have one. I just wanted to know if my specs were really as bad as people kept saying. I can run most PS2 emulation at full speed, same with GCN and wii, Skyrim rns on high at full speed WITH ENB's, and I really only need a bit more RAM, methinks. but if I wanna get Elite Dangerous.... it's new Laptop time.

D

Deleted User

don't have one. I just wanted to know if my specs were really as bad as people kept saying. I can run most PS2 emulation at full speed, same with GCN and wii, Skyrim rns on high at full speed WITH ENB's, and I really only need a bit more RAM, methinks. but if I wanna get Elite Dangerous.... it's new Laptop time.
More RAM won't help if your CPU will just bottleneck the shit out of it. It sometimes doesn't matter how much RAM you how, it's not going to play games better. You just need a new everything.

AtomSmasherMazionga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More RAM won't help if your CPU will just bottleneck the shit out of it. It sometimes doesn't matter how much RAM you how, it's not going to play games better. You just need a new everything.
I'm aware of that. I'm not looking to run anything I don't usually run, more RAM would just be to help make things a bit smoother, increase a loading time here and there, that sort of thing, maybe handle a Skyrim mod that was too slow beforehand, stuff like that. at least until I can get a new PC. then again, my CPU is user-accessible, so I could get a new CPU and some Arctic Silver and go from there.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Those specs are enough for most RTS games and borderline for 3D games on lowest settings. Like how it could just about manage to play Borderlands. But what's holding it back is the IGP.

2017 should be interesting for people who want gaming laptops at lower prices. With Thunderbolt 3 and eGPUs showing positive results, there's no real need to include mobile GPUs with upcoming laptops which makes cooling and cost issues much easier to work with. At the moment only high end laptops have TB3, but this year it should become practically a standard in most laptops.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

AtomSmasherMazionga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those specs are enough for most RTS games and borderline for 3D games on lowest settings. Like how it could just about manage to play Borderlands. But what's holding it back is the IGP.

2017 should be interesting for people who want gaming laptops at lower prices. With Thunderbolt 3 and eGPUs showing positive results, there's no real need to include mobile GPUs with upcoming laptops which makes cooling and cost issues much easier to work with. At the moment only high end laptops have TB3, but this year it should become practically a standard in most laptops.
My CPU is user accessible. (Found out by opening it up. ) and I was thinking. Why not gout upgrade CPU? A core i7 3612QM looks like it'll work. I need to do more research, but it is an option. so what about having this i7 to replace my i3 (3110M) and increasing the ram to 10 GB instead of 6. would that make my craptop at least marginally better? Don't really want to drive 40+ miles to the nearest computer store (aka Best But) unless I have no choice.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The changing cpu for a laptop is new to me, are you sure you can replace it? With my laptop i was able to remove it just like the desktop, some other models have soldered. I think it's not worth upgrading the laptop, save cash and build a desktop. 6 years ago 499 euro laptop's used to have greater specs, great gpu's, don't wanna talk about the resolution still using the old 1366x768 (some have full hd).
It's up to you

AtomSmasherMazionga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The changing cpu for a laptop is new to me, are you sure you can replace it? With my laptop i was able to remove it just like the desktop, some other models have soldered. I think it's not worth upgrading the laptop, save cash and build a desktop. 6 years ago 499 euro laptop's used to have greater specs, great gpu's, don't wanna talk about the resolution still using the old 1366x768 (some have full hd).
It's up to you
Yeah, I'm sure it's possible upgrade the CPU. it is definitely removable. I dismantled the whole thing with my cousin once to install some a better fan. and a new HDD. here's my exact laptop listed on HP's website, if that helps at all: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04058444

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse