Gaming Are My Backups Still Legal?

Darkshadow1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
My Luggage Containing The Wii Games Was Lost And Now I Only Have New Super Mario Bros Which Was Still In The Wii. I Have Backed Up All Games To HDD Because I Don't Want To Change Disks All The Time And Before My Wii Drive Was Busted.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Technically probably not, since the original discs are no longer in your possession. I wouldn't lose sleep over it if the legality is your only concern.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As previously stated back ups are pretty much always illegal unless the company gave you permission (which they did not).

Likewise the whole "I own the physical game, so I can use ROM files" is not true legally as whether or not you own the game is irrelevant to the laws.

EDIT: Ninja'd

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
They never were. DMCA makes it illegal to circumvent copy protection.
As previously stated back ups are pretty much always illegal unless the company gave you permission (which they did not).

Likewise the whole "I own the physical game, so I can use ROM files" is not true legally as whether or not you own the game is irrelevant to the laws.
Just to add to this, the legality of making personal copies, regardless of whether or not you have to circumvent copy protection to do so, depends where you live.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to add to this, the legality of making personal copies, regardless of whether or not you have to circumvent copy protection to do so, depends where you live.
http://www.theesa.com/public-policy...y/content-protection/content-protection-faqs/

For Americans but the issue is that alot of people do not personally back up the ISO files but rather use public ones from the internet which violates the laws.
Not sure about other countries however but I would assume it varies alot since some seem pretty relaxed to piracy in general.

You Can Only Keep Backups If You Got The Originals In Your Possession.
In addition the back ups HAVE to be made by you for it to be legally clear it seems

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/liquid-cooling/intel-and-exxonmobil-working-on-advance...