Are modchips useful anymore?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by no_chocobo, Dec 19, 2012.

Dec 19, 2012
    • Newcomer

no_chocobo New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I've got an original WiiKey laying around, is it good for anything anymore?

Psionic Roshambo New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I have a few spares myself (picked them up bulk, Chinese knock offs but they work fine.)

About how useful they are.... not sure, pretty much it breaks down to these two advantages.

Booting of GC back ups with sound is easier with a chip.
    Booting of Wii back ups will run at the full 6X instead of the 3X speed (but USB loading is even faster now... but installing too the USB drive will be 2X as fast?.)

A nice thing about the Wii Key is once they are all updated you can still softmod with it so you get the best of both worlds.

I keep mine around just for the hell of it, I think I paid about a buck each so the three I have left are no big loss.

Edit: Unless they figured out a way past that whole copied DVD media running at half speed thing? I haven't really kept up on it... lol
    • Supervisor

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Message Count:
    Italy
    I still have a WiiKey in mine :P Well, it's nice for games like Metroid Prime 3 which require IOS reloading, as with a Modchip it just works out of the box.

I dunno if IOS reloading now works flawlessly in USB loaders, tho ;)

Arras I will be your hexahedron today

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, mine has a modchip as well. Still, USB loading and stuff has gotten so advanced I don't really use it anymore. IOS reloading was supported from d2x cIOS rev5 onward or something, might be off by one or two revisions.
    • Supervisor

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Message Count:
    Italy
    Oh, good to know :yay:

Psionic Roshambo New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Just get the Metroid Prime Trilogy!!! It's fantastic lol

The last few batches of D2X CIOS's fixed the IOS reload thing, so they work really well these days.

Edit: Get up to get a drink come back to post and see my post is pretty much already posted... lol
    Last edited by PsionicRoshambo, Dec 19, 2012

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Message Count:
    Australia
    their useful if you still play gamecube games from discs thats all i pretty much use mine for now. i can't be bothered with DIOS MIOS
    Last edited by Bladexdsl, Dec 19, 2012

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Message Count:
    United States
    I guess if you have a few DVDs and a modchip lying around, it's cheaper than buying an SD or a USB stick (though both can be had for VERY cheap now).
    USB Loading only lags behind modchips in 3 areas:

1) Call of Duty 3 refuses to run on ANY USB Loader with ANY settings IIRC tstwitter proved me wrong
    2) Gamecube backup loading (DIOS MIOS needs better audio streaming, and Devolution is inconvenient)
    3) The Wii Mini
    Last edited by Fishaman P, Dec 20, 2012

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Message Count:
    Belgium
    I still have a few Wii's with modchips :D
    - 1x WODE modchip
    - 1x Wii modded with an Serial adapter (Male, from an old serial cable) then i had the Female connector only in witch i had fitted a female pic holder
    I had a few pic's that i could program with my picprogrammer
    - 1 pic with Yaosm
    - 1 pic with Yowii (or something like that)
    - 1 pic with WiiFree

Then i had another female serial adapter where a cyclowiz was fitted in and another one with the WiiKey

Why modded?, cause i love to mess around with stuff, see if i can do it, is it of any use now?, not really, but i guess for some it does for there GC backups.
    Mine are also all softmodded (like mentioned a few posts above, best of both worlds) and none of them i have used since i got myself a Wii-U.
    For GC i still use my real GC
    Last edited by DjoeN, Dec 19, 2012
    • Newcomer

tstwitter New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Um, no Call of Duty 3 works just fine (need to prevent ios reload, and use ios 249). It was fixed about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Here are my personal notes on that game. And yes, it intially did not work in the pre-dx2 erray.

"- COD 3 was fixed after you updated the cIOS to DX2 and updated Config USB Loader (online) then ensured you were using cIOS 249 and double checked that IOS reload is blocked"

I use Config v70r35, d2x v8-final, cios 249 for just about 99% of all games. ALL the COD series work just fine now. I LIVE doing softmods as it's super easy to copy updates from my Wii to my friends Wii's as well, so we are all on the same platform. You can't do that effectively with hardmods. So that is why I prefer softmods handsdown.

NahuelDS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Message Count:
    Argentina
    I have a WODE but I dont use it anymore

SPONSORED LINKS