Gaming Are Laptops going to die out?

fuznug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it comes down to what you truly need the device for. laptops are good for a nice balance of power and accessibility but lack a desktop's upgradeable features (graphics mostly from a gaming aspect, unless you pay for a gaming laptop), however a laptop in 99% of all scenarios has more power than most tablets. Tablets are a good light-weight casual type of device, mostly for on the go types (most smartphones accomplish this). My advice as a technology enthusiast/sales associate would be to get a desktop, or even better build a desktop (dont be afraid, its like a fancy puzzle most pieces only fit one way). You will get the most bang for your money and feel a whole lot better about the end result.

OncRN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it comes down to what you truly need the device for. laptops are good for a nice balance of power and accessibility but lack a desktop's upgradeable features (graphics mostly from a gaming aspect, unless you pay for a gaming laptop), however a laptop in 99% of all scenarios has more power than most tablets. Tablets are a good light-weight casual type of device, mostly for on the go types (most smartphones accomplish this). My advice as a technology enthusiast/sales associate would be to get a desktop, or even better build a desktop (dont be afraid, its like a fancy puzzle most pieces only fit one way). You will get the most bang for your money and feel a whole lot better about the end result.

Could not agree more...it's all about what you want to do. There is no single device to replace all devices perfectly. What you gain in portability/size you will give up in power/capability, or else you will pay considerably more- and even then you still won't be on par.

IMHO, I see tablets as more of a niche or novelty item. Not that they aren't capable or have their place, but they have significant limits and seem to focus more on entertainment purposes. And with the speed of innovation, they become outdated so much faster. If you invest in a more serious tablet (like an iPad), it seems the cost is prohibitive based on the capability. But again, it depends on what you want to use it for.

Dead on about building PCs. Been doing that for about 15 years, never looked back. You get what you want, at a price WAY cheaper than anyone can sell you.

MontyQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
got rid of my huge sli rig that took up tons of space, got a laptop with a xbox controller and gtx 980m plug into my tv plays everything maxed same as my old setup that took a desk power bars speakers keyboards ect.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Laptops will never die out simply because people like to have keyboards. Tablets are all fine and dandy, but I think there's enough space on the market for devices with and without keyboards.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
The big casual crowd seems to prefer ipads, smartphones and other tablets, phablets etc. Personally I think all three (pcs, laptops and smartphones/tablets) will survive. After all we're living in the Screen Age! In my apartment there are around 20 different screens. How many do you have?

(Compare how many screens people had 50 years ago)

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
I like my laptop. The portability is great. I prefer it over my tablet for burning DVDs and general computer things. I loved my desktop before for more tasking things and its easy upgradeability.

There's enough of a market for all 3. Desktops will get smaller and smaller as well so I may go back to one.

D

Deleted User

I'm actually thinking of selling my desktop for a xbox one and laptop.
Why laptop instead of a tablet? because while I like windows 8's mail, news and xbox games apps, I prefer desktop web browsers, file browsers and Skype.
I just don't see the point in tablets, theyre just ipod touches that don't fit in my pocket. In terms of something portable that wont fit in my pocket, nothing beats the versatility of a laptop

You're also probably wondering why I'd choose Xbox One over a PC I already own. Unfortunately I can't answer that as I get flamed by the horde whenever I accurately recount my experiences with a particular service

The big casual crowd seems to prefer ipads, smartphones and other tablets, phablets etc. Personally I think all three (pcs, laptops and smartphones/tablets) will survive. After all we're living in the Screen Age! In my apartment there are around 20 different screens. How many do you have?

(Compare how many screens people had 50 years ago)
12. Living room TV, TV I use as a monitor, Laptop screen, 2 Gameboy screens, a cell phone screen and 3 different models of 3ds with 2 screens each (though technically the 2DS only has 1 screen)

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I prefer working on my 15" MBP to any other machine. Maybe it's because I have everything installed in such a way as to compliment my workflow, but personally I think there's something extra nice about having the power of a desktop and still being able to move around from my desk at work, to trains, to coffee shops at airports and even sometimes to bed. Before my MBP, the same held true for a ThinkPad X220T, at the time running Gentoo linux.

Meanwhile my hefty gaming rigs are used for little else other than gaming. Mostly because they're running Windows which for me lacks any kind of value beyond gaming, and I haven't the time to set them up with PCI-passthrough based hvm (Via Xen or KVM or something, working with a friend on this).

Tablets? Well, I'll put it this way: The few sheets of paper that still remain in my life are not going to be escaping from their newfound home on my desk anytime soon. While I've yet to try using an iPad, neither model of Nexus 7, nor HP's surprisingly deft Stream 7 have managed to persuade me away from my trusty laptop.
Now this may sound cliche, but there is a tablet on the Horizon that I think may persuade me to reconsider my stance - An Android powered Microsoft Surface clone, by the name of the Jide Ultra Remix.

On top of this I know for fact that there are many developers I've either met with, or work with, who share mostly the same views. So in short, no I don't think that laptops are going to disappear anytime soon. Evolve, maybe, and I don't think that anybody even remembers what netbooks are anymore, but I don't think that they're going to disappear anytime soon.

D

Deleted User

The tablet and laptop market is (Finally) starting to decline. An increase of desktops is also being seen. This is what I like to see as I hate most laptops and tablets.
That's cos laplets/tabtops are taking over.

Personally I'm considering selling my desktop and getting a cheap laptop because the PC games I ended up using my rig for are low spec and even a cheap laptop could play with the added portability factor.
The leftover money could fund my Xbox One.

Spectro87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laptops will never die out simply because people like to have keyboards. Tablets are all fine and dandy, but I think there's enough space on the market for devices with and without keyboards.

This is why the Surface is doing well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.