Gaming Are download codes region free?

xenomania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I know the Switch has no region lock, and that you can download & play games from different stores.
But does that also apply to download codes for specific games? Has anyone tested?

I wanna be sure before I make a purchase...

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know the Switch has no region lock, and that you can download & play games from different stores.
But does that also apply to download codes for specific games? Has anyone tested?

I wanna be sure before I make a purchase...
I wouldn't think so, but you could always just make another account for the correct region and redeem it using that. It really is no hassle.

Edit: As a quick note, it might work for games that are the same across regions. For example, BotW is the same game in each eShop, but Puyo Puyo Tetris has a different version for PAL, USA, and JPN.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Switch is region free. So that applies to download codes as well
the switch is region free, but the accounts aren't. = if you try to redeem a game that is not on your store, it won't work.
so you will have to be using an account that is is the same as the code.

and even if the game (maybe even exact same title id) are the same, i expect the codes are still restricted by country's store.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as everyone has said.
The code is lock to the region. So you will need an account for that region in order to download the game.

xenomania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Thanks for the answers. So even if the code won't work in my estore, I'm save by creating an account for the matching region. I'll give it a try.
Are games bought or redeemed in a different region store then limited to the profile linked to that account, or can I play them with my main profile?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the answers. So even if the code won't work in my estore, I'm save by creating an account for the matching region. I'll give it a try.
Are games bought or redeemed in a different region store then limited to the profile linked to that account, or can I play them with my main profile?
You can play them using any account on the system. Like I bought The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ on my US account, but play it on my UK account.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You have to have the account where you bought the game registered in the console.
Then you can play the game with any other account that is present in the console.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

as everyone has said.
The code is lock to the region. So you will need an account for that region in order to download the game.
Ditto. I've made two extra accounts - An American and a Japanese so I can always check out those regions' eShops for new demos and etc. I don't buy digital games but buying games from different eShops would make it feel like the game is even less mine.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ditto. I've made two extra accounts - An American and a Japanese so I can always check out those regions' eShops for new demos and etc. I don't buy digital games but buying games from different eShops would make it feel like the game is even less mine.
yea im a hard copy type of person so i buy 99% hard copies. But if i gotta download one i will only use my local area unless the code was free

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P7mAPWYcgE