Hacking Are all PSP models usable with emulators and hacked games? And how?

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is a noob question. Simply want to know if all PSP models, so also Go and Street, are moddable to use with emulators and with PSP UNlegit games (if you know what I mean :lol: )

And what I need for make it? I heard that PSP needs some "specials" memory cards...

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, all PSPs are able to be modded, allowing you to run emulators, backup/pirated games, homebrew, etc. Use this or this for a guide on installing the custom firmware.

While you do need a memory card to put the damn things on, CFW doesn't require memory cards to be special in any way, other than being readable by a psp. PSPs need memory stick (pro) duo or equivalent (e.g. adaptors with microSDs) The Go is an exception, since it has its own internal memory to use, but can also use M2 cards.

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it really so bad, as I read, the emulation of Snes games?
And how works to emulate L2 and R2 for Ps1 games?

I'm very confused on what console I have to buy to have a portable emulator system. Psp, JXD S7800B or GCW Zero...

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most snes games, or at least the games I've played, work fine. I guess some games, especially that with special chips such as Yoshi's Island, have problems, playing really slow.

L2 and R2, by default, are mapped to pushing the analog stick left and right. There's also options to use the dpad instead of the analog stick, to switch them around with L and R (normally used for L1/R1), and another that lets to completely customize the controls to however you want.

ineverwipe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did notice an issue with A Link To The Past. The map screen doesn't show up correctly, it's just a black screen. But other than that every game I have tried has worked fine

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did notice an issue with A Link To The Past. The map screen doesn't show up correctly, it's just a black screen. But other than that every game I have tried has worked fine
I'm not sure which map screen you're talking about, but both the dungeon map and the world map work for me.

Maybe its the emulator? I use the snes9xTYLmecm on filetrip.

Well, I also use a slightly newer version of the mod that's up there now, but it the changes listed only seem pretty minor, so I don't think that would affect anything.

Attachments

• pic_0001.bmp
    382.6 KB · Views: 381
  • pic_0002.bmp
    382.6 KB · Views: 345

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
2 quick noob questions:
Do you suggesto to apply a permanent CFW or is it better to run it only when I need?
Should I use my official PSN gamertag or I have to create a new one, in case of ban?

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you have something that's compatible/able to be downgraded, I don't think there is much of a reason not to apply a permanent CFW. The temporary version only takes a few seconds to run, so its not much different either way.

I wouldn't think so.. It's not as if simply logging on to PSN with CFW on will get you an automatic ban. PSN is is still perfectly usable with CFW. However, after googling "psp cfw ban" I mostly get results about ps3 bans, but there were a few people that say their psp got banned. At this point in time, I don't they'd even care about psps, though, so I dunno.

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, if you have something that's compatible/able to be downgraded, I don't think there is much of a reason not to apply a permanent CFW. The temporary version only takes a few seconds to run, so its not much different either way.

I wouldn't think so.. It's not as if simply logging on to PSN with CFW on will get you an automatic ban. PSN is is still perfectly usable with CFW. However, after googling "psp cfw ban" I mostly get results about ps3 bans, but there were a few people that say their psp got banned. At this point in time, I don't they'd even care about psps, though, so I dunno.

Are PSP Go able to get downgraded?

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last question: Can I use all ISO of PS1 games with POPSLoader(what is latest version?), or I need some specials ISO converted to eboot with POPStation PSP?

And what is a good source for PSP emulators?

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS1 games can't be played as an ISO, and have to be converted.

POPS is the name of the ps1 emulator built in to the psp. A different version of POPS is in each firmware, and some user-converted games will have problems on new versions of POPS, which are loaded by the firmware by default. POPSLoader is a plugin that allows for you use older versions, usually something like 3.52 or 3.71, to fix problems that the occasional game may have on the newest version. Here's a guide on installing it. While v3 works fine, there is an unofficial v4, I think it's mostly to fix problems with ME CFW rather than PRO.
Since you mentioned the go, that installation guide mentions there is no sound except if you use headphones when loading the only older versions of POPs that work. I don't know about you, but I generally prefer to play with sound, and don't like headphones.

If you're going to pirate them anyway, I recommend finding PS1 games taken directly from PSN, as they generally fix the problems that might arise from the user converted ones. They also come with better quality manuals, which are nice compared the scanned-in ones here

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP
Here's a list of emulators. One that's not on there that I'd recommend, if you're into GBA games, is tempgba4psp, but only for certain games that the other gba emulators have problems with, like Golden Sun and Mario Tennis, since it apparently it introduces new problems for other games.

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much, mate, For all these infos. Anyway, I haven't understand that thing about the no sound on Go. And any suggestion on where to find PSN games? I'm not able to find.
Search something like "download psone classics" or "psone classic eboot"?
Note that not all ps1 games were released on psn, so if you want to play one of those, you'll have to get a converted version anyway.

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks.
Anyway, what are differences between mecm and cm version of Snes emulator that you posted some days ago? The r26 isn't on filetrip where I find all emulators for PSP. There is only up to version r23. I hate to have to search new versions alla round the world. Why they don't make home sites for every emulator :(

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The me of mecm stands for media engine. I couldn't tell what exactly it is, but you should use that version unless if you're on a vita, in that case media engine it doesn't work, and you'd need the cm version.

Here's a link to downloads of both versions.
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?p=298853#p298853

You should probably download this version first, since it includes things like snesadvance.dat, settings for speedhacks for a bunch of games, and then copy the "mod" version files over it.
http://filetrip.net/psp-downloads/homebrew/download-snespsp-tyl-0-4-2-mecm-f27535.html

MarcoAssia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The me of mecm stands for media engine. I couldn't tell what exactly it is, but you should use that version unless if you're on a vita, in that case media engine it doesn't work, and you'd need the cm version.

Here's a link to downloads of both versions.
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?p=298853#p298853

You should probably download this version first, since it includes things like snesadvance.dat, settings for speedhacks for a bunch of games, and then copy the "mod" version files over it.
http://filetrip.net/psp-downloads/homebrew/download-snespsp-tyl-0-4-2-mecm-f27535.html

Thanks for the suggestion.
Is there any site/forum where to check new versions of CFW and emulators..not all emulators, but at least the SNES and GBA?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: