Speedrunner in practice
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
Hey folks, I found a weird thing on 3DS' AR games. You know that when you use any software in 2D, the console uses image for the left eye, same with cameras, in 2D left one sends captured images to the screen. At least in theory...
To know what I mean, try playing some AR in 2D and cover right camera with your finger. Even while pointing at the card, 3DS will tell you to point at the card. Does it mean the console uses both lenses to calculate everything and shows you only left image?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
maybe. else i dunno of any possible algorithms it can use properly to identify the AR card, what with the shitty quality of the camera. it probably requires that the AR pattern be visible on BOTH cameras, so if one looks fine, but light reflects off of the AR card on the other one, then it'll lose recognition.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think it uses both cameras to measure the depth... turning of YOUR viewing of 3D still requires the camera to use 3D to represent the AR better. (though, AR doesn't need 3D cameras in the first place usually)

famevn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the AR needs both cameras in order to work. The viewing methods of users do not matter. The AR alone needs depth information to display their virtual objects in correct positions. Without the second camera it cannot decide where to put a character between the camera and the card surface.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
famevn: I think that they use the 3D camera to show the depth WHEN you use 3D.. and then they were lazy, so they didn't implement a single camera AR detection...

The AR does NOT need depth information itself... It measures the marker (the card) with edge detection and knowing the size of the card, to determine position and depth.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed