Hardware Apple killed the 3DS?

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
I would have accepted it if it was by a Sony fanboy instead, cos a PSP2 will still be a legit gaming device and could have the potential to kill the 3ds.

But saying apple's iPhone will kill a gaming device?

That just made my day.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
All his arguments are completely unfounded. Once again, people compare Nintendo's products and Apple's products when they aren't even out to do the same thing. It's like comparing apples (haha) and oranges.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
apple iPhone is not...

A FUCKING GAMES CONSOLE

IT'S A IPHONE

:/

with 179 negative replies excluding MW himself, he is now personally attecked on his own blog...

lets quote this blog when sales figures show the the 3ds is outselling the iphone... (thats, apps that are games...)

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Guys, Apple are making more money than Nintendo, Deal with it.

Remember that apple has a TV spot for virtually all of their products since release, their own chain of stores and a decent warranty.
Both Nintendo and Apple's EULA sucks, but to the average consumer that doesn't matter.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
This article is a good example of a SEGA fanboy ranting about Sonic 4.

Really this is completely asinine, to be blunt how many recalls or defects that Apple have over their years of making products?
I for one can say plenty, the Nintendo 3DS IMO is just another handheld with a gimmick. Until I can see a game from the Nintendo 3DS that balances the gimmick and gameplay then maybe...I will buy one.

Also to the TC who made blog, guess how many consumers who bought a 800$ Ipad only to find it being destroyed because of overheating in the sun or just dropping it by mistake? I can say those people were not too happy after that.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Canonbeat234 said:
the Nintendo 3DS IMO is just another handheld with a gimmick.
I fail to see how you come to the conclusion that a handheld with enormous power is just gimmicky at best. The 3DS even has, for example, anti-aliasing, which up until now was only seen on consoles, so I would definitely not call it a gimmick. Also, by only taking a short glance at the list of features (like the autoconnect to WiFi, search for other players that are not necessarily playing the same game, and so forth), you should definitely be able to conclude that it isn't just about the 3D gimmick. Surely, you don't need that 3D, but apparently it makes games look sweet.

jimwhat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:

Remember that apple has a TV spot for virtually all of their products since release, their own chain of stores and a decent warranty.
Both Nintendo and Apple's EULA sucks, but to the average consumer that doesn't matter.

The whole point if this thread wasn't to say Nintendo makes more money than Apple. It's to discuss an article that stated that the iPhone/iTouch is a better gaming device than the 3DS. So, what your talking about is irrelevant and off topic...

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Canonbeat234 said:
This article is a good example of a SEGA fanboy ranting about Sonic 4.
Don't even go there, Sonic 4 looks pretty bad, even with all their "improvements".
Gravity doesn't even work properly

Canonbeat234 said:
I for one can say plenty, the Nintendo 3DS IMO is just another handheld with a gimmick. Until I can see a game from the Nintendo 3DS that balances the gimmick and gameplay then maybe...I will buy one.
People don't seem to realise that the 3D on the 3DS, is not the same 3D effect that they will get on a TV/Monitor/Cinema, instead of giving pop-up impressions, it's more like a window, so it can gain depth.
Also, Nintendo have announced that the intensity of the 3D can be adjusted to the extent where it can be considered 'off', this is further proof that the 3DS is nothing more than a gimmick, because if games are designed to work without the 3D, they obviously aren't taking full advantage of it.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I have no intention of buying a 3DS at release, I'm going to wait until for the usual "Lite" version that Nintendo always seem to make. There are always flaws with something after release, and I'd rather buy a device had most, if not all of those issues fixed/under control.

jimwhat said:
QUOTE(Antoligy @ Aug 1 2010, 04:04 AM)

The whole point if this thread wasn't to say Nintendo makes more money than Apple. It's to discuss an article that stated that the iPhone/iTouch is a better gaming device than the 3DS. So, what your talking about is irrelevant and off topic...
At no point in the article does it state that an iOS platform is a better gaming device, it simply states that Nintendo have a very flawed business model.
Apple are working to make things cheaper, Nintendo are making things more expensive.

What would the average consumer think? They're not necessarily going to go after the more expensive device that is probably better, they're not interested in the same things as "core gamers". Nintendo have profited from the Wii and DS largely due to the games aimed at that "casual gamer" audience, who are content with even the likes of FarmVille.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it pop of the screen 3D :/

Not this

Not the 3DS , but I think that what you are talking about.

QUOTE said:
Also, Nintendo have announced that the intensity of the 3D can be adjusted to the extent where it can be considered 'off'...

And that for health and fairness for each and every player eyes.

jimwhat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
jimwhat said:
Antoligy said:

At no point in the article does it state that an iOS platform is a better gaming device, it simply states that Nintendo have a very flawed business model.
Apple are working to make things cheaper, Nintendo are making things more expensive.

What would the average consumer think? They're not necessarily going to go after the more expensive device that is probably better, they're not interested in the same things as "core gamers". Nintendo have profited from the Wii and DS largely due to the games aimed at that "casual gamer" audience, who are content with even the likes of FarmVille.

Apple has never been known for being cheap. Their laptops/computers are all over 1000, the iPhone 4 costs about $600, and an iPod touch costs $200

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
Canonbeat234 said:
People don't seem to realise that the 3D on the 3DS, is not the same 3D effect that they will get on a TV/Monitor/Cinema, instead of giving pop-up impressions, it's more like a window, so it can gain depth.
Also, Nintendo have announced that the intensity of the 3D can be adjusted to the extent where it can be considered 'off', this is further proof that the 3DS is nothing more than a gimmick, because if games are designed to work without the 3D, they obviously aren't taking full advantage of it.
Arm73 said:
Personally , I am really mad at Nintendo for releasing the Game Boy Color.
In case you didn't know:
  • 1 in 12 people have some sort of color deficiency. About 8% of men and 0.4% of women in the US.
  • 0.38% of women are deuteranomalous (around 95% of all color deficient women).
  • 0.005% of the population are totally colour blind.
  • 0.003% of the population have tritanopia.
  • Protanomaly occurs in about 1% of males.
  • Deuteranomaly occurs in about 5% of males. It's the most common color deficiency.
  • Protanopia occurs in about 1% of males.
  • Deuteranopia occurs in about 1% of males.
Colour blindness is a condition, where the sufferer has diminished ability to perceive differences in colours. Colour blindness is almost never a complete absence of colour vision, where an individual is only able to see shades of grey. Red/green colour blindness is the most common form, attributing to 99 percent of the cases and it is most commonly an inherited condition. There is no treatment for colour blindness, nor is it usually the cause of any significant disability. However it can be frustrating to individuals affected by it. About 8 percent of males have some level of colour blindness and for female the corresponding percentage is 0.4. Colour blindness is diagnosed with the Ishihara colour test, which consists of a series of pictures of coloured spots. The test is most often used to diagnose red/green colour deficiencies. A figure of one or more Arabic digits is embedded in the picture as a number of spots in a slightly different colour and can bee seen with a normal colour vision, but not with a colour defect.
The whole problem started in the 50's when movies began to be in color.
I mean how disrespectful is our society toward color blind people ?
Why does technology have to evolve all the time and bring advanced and more affordable electronics in our lives !
After all, 1 in 12 people have some sort of color deficiency, what did Nintendo do about them so far ! It's disgusting !
Oh yeah , I forgot, color blind people can't recognize colors in real life either, it doesn't make any difference........
Oh , yeah, people with bad vision in on eye have trouble with depth perception in real life as well.....but wait, just like you can turn off the colors on your fancy TV, it's been reported ( but not officially confirmed ) the those new 3D screens will have an option to be switched to 2D anytime.

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
jimwhat said:
Also, the 3DS will cost almost half that the iphone does and will last about 6 years whereas the iphone will last almost 2-3 years max.
I will have to disagree with you there, as long as there's Apple there's always yearly upgrade. If your talking about a single upgrade will only last 2-3 years then that's true. If you're saying the iPhone brand is going to last for only 2-3 more years, then that's not possible. iPhone is an over rated phone, I didn't have a problem with it when it first came out I didn't have a problem when the 3G came out but what I did have a problem was the 3GS, literally there was no viable reason to buy that, seriously if they went iPhone 3G to iPhone 4 in terms of design and extra features that would be perfect. It shows that Apple indeed is a rip-off.

Anyway, clearly this person is clueless, you know something the iPhone is a threat to current the current DS, but to the 3DS no. Everyone (apart from wolfe) can agree that the 3DS is just amazing at first I was a little disappointed in the graphics that they showed but then I saw a clearer version of the Kid Icarus trailer on youtube and daymn. What I had saw before was on GT and the trailer was in HD but it was the LQ HD you kind of get so it looked like nothing but PSP graphics. On youtube I went to it and thought in a clever way since the resolution on the 3DS is small compared to HD so I watched it in HD but in the small player and man do those graphics make the game look like a PS2 game, something that you just can't do on a non gaming platform. You can't do 3D on a touchscreen only phone, ofcourse there are "Apple girls" which baisicly don't know a lot about good tech, pretty much like the 100 or so people on this forum asking about R4s. I swear the Mac was just created for someone that doesn't know how to use a Windows or a Linux. Macs are cool but 5 minutes was all that I needed since infact the first impression are the non biased and serious opinions that don't later down the road.

Now anyway, PSA: A company is a company, even though they want to rule every single industry, they still produce fine products. It's just that certain people to do not understand the limits of a product. People that appreciate products from different producers are FANS but ones that deny any obvious limitation are called FANBOYS, not everything is perfect, infact what we could see is the PS2P(
tongue.gif
) being more powerful device that 3DS, but why won't some people buy it, well if someone sees it as a viable purchase will get it and cherish it, if people complain (pretty much nintendo fanboys in this site) in a non suitable manner that is called fanboyism.

That is what Mr Wolfe suffers from, ofcourse people admit that investing money in a device comes with a decission but that does not mean looking down on other systems because A. you can't afford it and B. Is a competitor to their system.

Easily the 3DS is the better system for gaming, but if they slapped in an MP4 and MP3 player, that is what you call a proper rival, though a thick clunky one.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
geoflcl said:
All his arguments are completely unfounded. Once again, people compare Nintendo's products and Apple's products when they aren't even out to do the same thing. It's like comparing apples (haha) and oranges.

Oh man. Can I quote on on that?

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Brian10122 said:
geoflcl said:

Oh man. Can I quote on on that?

Umm. Why? :/

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iPhone - $300
contract - $100 a month
laughing at people who think that the iPhone is a gaming device - priceless
there are some things money can't buy... for everything else, there's MasterCard.
ph34r.gif

D

Deleted User

jimwhat said:
http://gigaom.com/2010/07/28/nintendo-3ds-...business-model/

This whole article is pretty funny.

My favorite quotes:
"And as for five-year hardware cycles, that’s a lifetime for consumers who have grown accustomed to a new iPhone every year."

I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have something that lasted 5 years rather than buying a new one every year...

"The device is doomed, and Apple killed it."

I don't think this guy know anything about video games.

*I meant funniest not funnies. It's like 2 am.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HAAAAAAAH Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HAAAAAAAH Ha Ha
You just made my day.

gameguy95

Needs More Furries!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JinTrigger said:
The ipod touch/iphone isn't even a gaming device....I don't buy an iphone/ipod touch to play games though it is a nice addition. I believe this articles retarded, but maybe thats me
that was the 2nd reason i bought it, the first being that my old creative zen was capping out on me

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The problem isn’t so much that the 3DS won’t be a unique gaming experience, it’s that the device, and with it, the gaming experience, is built around an antiquated business model popularized over 20 years ago by Nintendo and the Gameboy.
I don't know about this guy but i sure like it when my games are made from people who KNOW what they are doing and has more experience.
QUOTEPeople don't seem to realise that the 3D on the 3DS, is not the same 3D effect that they will get on a TV/Monitor/Cinema, instead of giving pop-up impressions, it's more like a window, so it can gain depth.
Umm... maybe they did that so people won't go BLIND! Haven't you watched a 3D movie before? If you have you must know it hurts the eyes after a while. Don't forget Nintendo is all for Safety Hazards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls