Hacking Question Anyway to trigger sdxc update without one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@xtheman166, you can, actually. Just format any micro SD (for example, I used a 4GB SDHC card) to exFAT and the Switch will prompt you to download the update. It checks for your card being exFAT rather than FAT32, and not SDHC vs. SDXC. I did the opposite test as well (before accepting the exFAT update), inserting a FAT32-formatted 64GB SDXC card and it did not prompt me to update.
So, This means there is hope if people miss out on the opportunity to get the update and they cannot update because of an exploit. This is assuming the SDXC update is not separate and will not download without an update.

KamazasBl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How ridiculous you people are...
Clearly a person wants to update the sd driver before any further updates come out and do not update it anymore until it's safe to be sure that when potential exploits are found he could buy the card per necessity and use it rather than fucking up the chances of him ever using roms/homebrew whatever. Don't comment bullshit if you have nothing to say.
If I were you I would just go to the shop, ask to try one out for the system, have it updated and leave without buying one.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clearly a person wants to update the sd driver before any further updates come out and do not update it anymore until it's safe to be sure that when potential exploits are found he could buy the card per necessity and use it rather than fucking up the chances of him ever using roms/homebrew whatever. Don't comment bullshit if you have nothing to say.
If I were you I would just go to the shop, ask to try one out for the system, have it updated and leave without buying one.

Or, format any old MicroSD as ExFAT and profit, as @daxtsu pointed out that it does not need to be an SDXC card to trigger the update. Most people have some sort of MicroSD somewhere to use. If it has data, back it up then restore it later after using it for the update.

If people miss the update, A 64GB or larger card will still work formatted as FAT32, it is not like they will never be able to use larger cards.

Last edited by driverdis,

Wasabi Ice Cream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised we needed 3 pages of shitposting to say, "No".
You can either obtain a card, and update now, or find out what happens later.
Nothing more is involved. It doesn't matter how the shit's formatted.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Formatting does matter as a card not formatted as ExFAT will NOT trigger the update. In fact, formatting smaller cards will trigger the update also and most people here have one on hand to format temporarily to ExFAT to get the update.

Reactions: Drakia

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
... It took 3 pages, and you STILL didn't realize you can just format any card as exFat to get the patch to install? Bravo

Reactions: yahoo

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 64SDXC card, i used recently to take screen shots for a review here i was doing, it never asked me for update. Probably cause it was 32fat format i was using on my wii u. So i guess i need a formatted card to exfat for the update. Not that i would know exactly what the difference is, but What special about the different format options? If the system still can use 32 fat format?:unsure:

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a 64SDXC card, i used recently to take screen shots for a review here i was doing, it never asked me for update. Probably cause it was 32fat format i was using on my wii u. So i guess i need a formatted card to exfat for the update. Not that i would know exactly what the difference is, but What special about the different format options? If the system still can use 32 fat format?:unsure:
Different file systems.
In the old FAT32 the cluster size gets ridiculously high for large file systems.
This means every 1 byte file takes actually several kilobytes of disk space.
If you have many small files, you're wasting a lot of space.
Also the maximum size for a file in fat32 is 4gb.
Those problems are solved by exFAT. Sure there are more differences, but those are two that come to mind.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Different file systems.
In the old FAT32 the cluster size gets ridiculously high for large file systems.
This means every 1 byte file takes actually several kilobytes of disk space.
If you have many small files, you're wasting a lot of space.
Also the maximum size for a file in fat32 is 4gb.
Those problems are solved by exFAT. Sure there are more differences, but those are two that come to mind.
Oh, okay. Good to know, so i should start using exfat instantly as i get the chance. :)

Also another thing i wanna point out is that if you actually plan to play switch even for hax, i suggest you stay updated since it would be the only way to access eshop. To be honest the eshop will have more content than retail games even though perhaps not all of them are worth it but i would assume since this cart based thing is sounding expensive that it wouldn't be a going trend for very long even for most AAA+++ titles, which probably explains why I am setsuna isn't retail release over digital. It would be too soon before anyone is playing backups anyway, so unless you really wanna play the thing and maybe have fun than wait for unknown period of time for hax you know? I'll just leave this here. :ninja:

kingraa777

boom!
Trophies
XP
Country
isnt that what i said ??

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that real 64GB SD cards are so cheap nowadays that it is the same or more to buy a fake. I guess my idea was great a few years ago when they actually were expensive.
Got a real samsung one for $15 64gb. My 32gb i brought last yr was $12

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from were please ?
Dont know if they stil have it.
The 32gb was form bestbuy. I walk in and that was the price.
The 64gb was from ebay buy it now (yeah yeah). But seller seems trusted and it was new in pack. Ii fully tested it with a program and it came back good. Then i load a ton of movies on it and manual check it, and pass.
I brought it back in Feb.

There all samsung cards which they normally run sells on the items. I have a few cards in stuff its all i ever buy. Got a hand full of 32gb from bestbuy and my 64gb for my phone from ebay year ago and switch 64gb was from ebay different sellers.

Just make sure to test the card when you get it and if its no good report it and get your money.

Reactions: kingraa777

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
In case anyone is wondering why exFat support requires an update and not included in the standard firmware.

Its because penny counting Nintendo has to pay a licence fee for each Switch updated to the maker of exFat file system and that is Microsoft.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case anyone is wondering why exFat support requires an update and not included in the standard firmware.

Its because penny counting Nintendo has to pay a licence fee for each Switch updated to the maker of exFat file system and that is Microsoft.
...and putting it in an update changes the license fee how?

The actual reason is becasue it was rushed. exFAT support wasn't ready in time for manufacturing.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not every Switch owner will use exFat every percentage saves Ninty minty.
That's not how it works. The box has an SDXC logo; exFAT licensing is mandated as part of the SDXC license.

They have to pay the license fee for *all* Switches sold, not just those that have the SDXC update.

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
That's not how it works. The box has an SDXC logo; exFAT licensing is mandated as part of the SDXC license.

They have to pay the license

They have to pay the license fee for *all* Switches sold, not just those that have the SDXC update.

witches sold, not just those that have the SDXC update.

If Switch units sold one year from now dont require an SDXC update than I will concede.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yea thats what ive been hearing. In order to get the logo you need the license. They are already in the hole to pay for each unit. Doing it via who update and who didnt isnt going to work out.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That's not quite true. I was on 2.0.0 when inserting my exFAT-formatted SDHC card and it still prompted me to get the "SDXC" (it's more like an exFAT update) update.
wasn't like that here soon as i plugged my lan cable in it said it needed an update so i let it. than i just out my card in right away afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1