Anyone wanna help get this game running on Visual Boy Advance?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Mr.ButtButt, Jan 10, 2017.

1. VinLark

VinLark Loonix Master

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Might having to modify lines and lines of code in the rom

Yeah good luck with that. I'm actually thinking @Sonic Angel Knight 's post was reasonable now.

SahierKHLover and Mr.ButtButt like this.

2. Mr.ButtButt
    OP

Mr.ButtButt The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3

Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    If anyone wants to take a look at the hex code, get Bizhawk's emulator at http://tasvideos.org/

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

But no one's ever gotten to play this rom on a standard vba before! Not because they couldn't, but because they just didn't care

VinLark likes this.
  3. SahierKHLover

SahierKHLover GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Guess
    hmmm just guessing but if you have a new3ds then why not try reinand as it has many patches and yes I know to go through every line to see if the codes are the same (been there done that(stupid x and y)) maybe reinand can have the solution bc if luma is not letting you load it then try a different cfw that is all I can think of or you can just find a patch that allows the injection of unlicensed games to be played on a 3ds

vinlark I said that as a last option incase there is no other way

Mr.ButtButt and VinLark like this.
  4. Mr.ButtButt
    OP

Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    What does reinand patch though? I though Luma had everything Reinand had and more.

5. SahierKHLover

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Guess
    just an assumption I mean reinand was made just for the new 3ds so I mean yeah keep luma just try to do a dual cfw but it's just a guess not sure but reinand does patch security checks I think let me check..

try this thread maybe it can help https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-reinand-w-i-p-mod-of-reinand.448212/#post-6927198

maybe this cfw might help https://gbatemp.net/threads/corbenik-another-cfw-for-advanced-users-with-bytecode-patches.429612/

6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    You said the game is translated, does it work without translation? If so then maybe the problem IS THE Translation. :P

Still not many emulators Including 3DS were designed for unlicensed or homebrew games, so it won't be easy to be honest.

7. SahierKHLover

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Guess
    but don't patches for security check exist in the 3ds hacking scene so people can play unlicensed games on the 3ds for example pokemon prism?

8. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 PSCSPEAK.EXE

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Linux 4.12-rc6
    Does the game run on mGBA

9. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Pokemon prism is a rom hack of a official game, this is a unlicened game since the beginning. There is no record of SNK releasing metal slug for Gameboy color as far as i know. Rom hacks do not require security checks as far as i know, logically speaking cause Is based on official licensed games. This terrifying 9/11 is another story. :blink:

10. SahierKHLover

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Guess
    oh i thought metal slugs was a licensed game thanks for clearing that up but then there is no point in doing this bc it's not going to work for the 3ds

11. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    There is licensed metal slug game for GBA not GBC. Metal slug advance. This game is a pirated bootleg game of a unreleased game, like many common boot legs come from.... CHINA! Some bootlegs are actually just a rom hack with copyright and licensing removed from title screen and box art, some use original coding, like that somari on nes. But this is just a bad rom hack of a unreleased game. For all we know, snk maybe didn't even make the game at all, it could be totally unrelated to the original company.

SahierKHLover likes this.
  12. SahierKHLover

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Guess
    but if there is a metal slugs advance then... oh wait the romhack is on gbc ugh tho I am 14 and being able to do algebra 2 and chemistry I still can't find a solution beside going through the codes so I would suggest and give up and play it on a pc it would be less of a hassle and save your time

13. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    i tried searching issues relating to getting games that are unlicensed to run on an emulator and it all I can find is things that deal with ips patching and or just using HHUGBOY emulator.

Mr.ButtButt likes this.
  14. Mr.ButtButt
    OP

Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    that sucks :/
    and finding anything gbc/hacking related, is all from like years and years ago, and no one's left to help :C

15. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    the next thing I think worth trying is using a SRAM patcher to see if it will run.

Mr.ButtButt likes this.
  16. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    By the way, what shows up in a hex editor is not the code of the game. Programmers don't write code in hexadecimal.

17. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    I've actually coded gameboy in hex a little.

Try it in BGB, it's really accurate.

18. Mr.ButtButt
    OP

Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    but could they edit the hex code, and have it... idk do some shit?
    and I agree with @Robert McCoy
    Maybe we could patch out the code that blocks it from being loaded?

19. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    That sounds like an awful time. I mean, writing full scale applications and games in hex sounds like straight-up hell. If it's even possible. I didn't even think it was, but I guess I was wrong?

It may very well be possible. I don't mean to sound like an expert or anything.

Mr.ButtButt likes this.
  20. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    I am thinking I might contact the person who uploaded the game originally because they seem to know how to patch unlicensed games to run.

Mr.ButtButt likes this.